Rattletrap
10 years ago

Strange though because on Saturday I felt unusually good and active. With the spring like weather decided to get in the sun and do a bit moreon my 'rescued from the garden '71 Beetle.I made good progress everthing I did on it went right first time and that never happens to me fixing beetles. Back down to earth again Sunday though, feeling tired with headaches, that about how I am right now.

Originally Posted by: Rattletrap 

That was over 3 weeks ago. By now i'd expected to be on the case with myRattlletrap, and with the good weather yesterday thought Id do some light Beetle bits.

Cant beleive how things have gone.I really coulnt manage anything with the car. So much effort just to fit the battery back.No real energy with most movements up and down leaving me with a real head spin and giddy sick feel. He wouldnt fire -I found no spark at the points which I cleaned and done what I could manage feeling sick with yet another headache. I think the points are not closing properly but with blurred vision taht comes on and a concentration span of 30 seconds I couldnt do anymore.

Staemtrain parked up in my head too:(
Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
lifeintheslowlane
10 years ago

That was over 3 weeks ago. By now i'd expected to be on the case with myRattlletrap, and with the good weather yesterday thought Id do some light Beetle bits.

Cant beleive how things have gone.I really coulnt manage anything with the car. So much effort just to fit the battery back.No real energy with most movements up and down leaving me with a real head spin and giddy sick feel. He wouldnt fire -I found no spark at the points which I cleaned and done what I could manage feeling sick with yet another headache. I think the points are not closing properly but with blurred vision taht comes on and a concentration span of 30 seconds I couldnt do anymore.

Staemtrain parked up in my head too:(

Sorry to hear that John. I'm sure the medical men are on your case but it does make you realise us oldies need to take care of ourselves. I am now resigned to walking around wearing a colourful cycle helmet. I only take it off at bedtime...although it does go back on if I'm feeling frisky.:wink:

Hope you're feeling better soon.

John.
Rattletrap
10 years ago

Sorry to hear that John. I'm sure the medical men are on your case but it does make you realise us oldies need to take care of ourselves. I am now resigned to walking around wearing a colourful cycle helmet. I only take it off at bedtime...although it does go back on if I'm feeling frisky.:wink:

Hope you're feeling better soon.

Originally Posted by: lifeintheslowlane 

Thanks for that John. appreciated:wink:

Your avatar doesn't show you with yor helmet on. I'd choose more sutable footwear.Those heels are a trip hazard:shock:
Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
Rattletrap
10 years ago
Well my bonce is still mush.Got to wait until 28th to see the doc again. :thumbdn:
Whas happening in this country?

Ozymandias here (Richard Cotton) came over today and fair to say his enthusiasm for Split Windows was a tonic,though Im struggling to maintain intrest in anything. Good to see him. I think Rattletrap smiled too:smile:
Rattletrap
10 years ago
Bodium 1983 and a vintage mag cover showing GMO displayed in the midddle in camo 'giraffe' markings..

UserPostedImage 

Rattletrap
10 years ago
A page from inside..
quality not like todays magaznes:o

UserPostedImage 
AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
10 years ago
Can remember getting Beetleing from the club and having to order it from the club secratery.

Andy W
Rattletrap
10 years ago

Can remember getting Beetleing from the club and having to order it from the club secratery.

Andy W

Originally Posted by: AW 

Yes, seems a real long time agothose all black and white Beetling pictures.:roll:
ozymandias
10 years ago

Bodium 1983 and a vintage mag cover showing GMO displayed in the midddle in camo 'giraffe' markings..

UserPostedImage 

Found a few photos of GMO before it became a giraffe, to follow this post. That's how it will be if and when I get my hands on it :smile:  349GMO.1979.1.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  349GMO.1979.2.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  349GMO.1980.1.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Rattletrap
10 years ago
HELP:!:

I want to get Rattletrap taxed as although i've many bits to do before he hits the road, Id like to have that bit outof the way, knowing its done okay. No MOT of course required.

The log book has taxation class 'private light goods' and not historic because he's been off the road for around 15 years, so the Post Office will require money. How's the way to go to get the historic free tax disc? I'm told the DVLA will not alter the registration details of an untaxed car:?
ozymandias
10 years ago
... and a few more after it had become a giraffe, the black and white one taken by Bob Shaill in late 1981, the others by me in 1982  349GMO.2.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  349GMO.3.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
10 years ago
Found this  bob 82e.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
pre67vw
10 years ago

HELP:!:

I want to get Rattletrap taxed as although i've many bits to do before he hits the road, Id like to have that bit outof the way, knowing its done okay. No MOT of course required.

The log book has taxation class 'private light goods' and not historic because he's been off the road for around 15 years, so the Post Office will require money. How's the way to go to get the historic free tax disc? I'm told the DVLA will not alter the registration details of an untaxed car:?

This was posted by Julian Robinson on FB the other week:

This morning we went to the post office with the paperwork for a 1973 Beetle that has been off the road for 17 years. The V5 shows it to have a tax class of PLG. The nice man at the post office accepted the new "Historic" class that we had written into the "Tax class" section on the V5 form and handed us our free Road tax... He has sent off the old V5 and a new one should be with us shortly with the class updated.

Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Herbert
10 years ago

This was posted by Julian Robinson on FB the other week:

This morning we went to the post office with the paperwork for a 1973 Beetle that has been off the road for 17 years. The V5 shows it to have a tax class of PLG. The nice man at the post office accepted the new "Historic" class that we had written into the "Tax class" section on the V5 form and handed us our free Road tax... He has sent off the old V5 and a new one should be with us shortly with the class updated.

Originally Posted by: pre67vw 

I tried to tax my January 1974 VW online through the DVLA website and got nowhere....so I went to the local Post Office on 3.4.14, explained the situation and got the same treatment. Instant recognition of Historic Vehicle status, free 12 month tax disc, nice smile from the lady behind the counter and an updated V5 being sent in the post. Marvellous.
Old Blue
10 years ago

Found a few photos of GMO before it became a giraffe, to follow this post. That's how it will be if and when I get my hands on it :smile:

Originally Posted by: ozymandias 

Its an interesting car, and I think best kept in its military spec as it seems to have been that way for a long time. Are you buying it then?
1956 VW Beetle, 1962 Morris Minor, 1968 VW Beetle (Old Blue), 1972 Morris Mini, 2005 MGTF

Blue, blue, Electric Blue, that's the colour of Old Blue!
Old Blue
10 years ago

I tried to tax my January 1974 VW online through the DVLA website and got nowhere....so I went to the local Post Office on 3.4.14, explained the situation and got the same treatment. Instant recognition of Historic Vehicle status, free 12 month tax disc, nice smile from the lady behind the counter and an updated V5 being sent in the post. Marvellous.

Originally Posted by: Herbert 

We recently acquired a Morris Minor Traveller, that like Rattletrap has also been off the road for a long time, and so has the tax class as PLG on the registration document. The lady in our post office said that we would need to pay the road tax, then send the registration document and tax disc to the DVLA for the tax class change to historic. They would return the corrected log book with a full tax refund and new 'free' tax disc.

The Morris is from 1959, but we were also told that it will require an MOT prior to being taxed and reclassed as historic. The pre 1960 MOT exemption does not apply while the tax class is PLG. So we have to get the Morris ready for the MOT test first.
1956 VW Beetle, 1962 Morris Minor, 1968 VW Beetle (Old Blue), 1972 Morris Mini, 2005 MGTF

Blue, blue, Electric Blue, that's the colour of Old Blue!
Herbert
10 years ago
It must be the way you speak to people.
Rattletrap
10 years ago
Thanx for the pics of 349GMO - Geronimo:!:

Though Geronimo has seen a few repaints in the first half of his life, he has been in his current state a KdF82E, but without the Girraffe markings, for almost a quarterof a century. Having stood around in the open for the last 24 years, I think you wil agreee he looks his best ever now lookinng like an undiscovered WWII relic. This look cannot be made at an instant, but is the result of Mother Nature's attention over the last 24years:
Rattletrap
10 years ago

It must be the way you speak to people.

Originally Posted by: Herbert 

I'll go to the Post Office withRattletraps'reg doc and smile sweetly with a big please. Welll it might help:d

As Rob says JulianRobinson here managed it and you say you got your disc, why shouldnot I:?
Rattletrap
10 years ago
HELP No2:!:
Well I went off to the Post Office, and the lady was very helpfull:smile:

I explaned that Rob at pre67vw and member Herbert both got their Volksies taxed proper under similar circumstances. So she said she'd try to see what happends if she tries to tax it. scaning the Rattletarp reg doc. She daid yes it allows her to issue a tax disc! I asked her to hold as I'd wait to the end of the month

But hang on- when i got home I thoght how so?- because Rattletrap is not yet insured. Surely you have to have insurance up front??

Can someone also confirm that if you stop insurance on a tax exempt car, do you then have to send the disc back and SORN it:?: