pre67vw
10 years ago

At the risk of being obsessive and 'off topic', for my concern and the benefit of others I have been in touch with the DVLA.

From the horse's mouth, so to speak;

'' If you stop the insurance on your motor vehicle it has to be declared SORN with the tax disc (if still valid) returned. An uninsured vehicle does not have to be seen on the road to be committing an insurance offence. If our computer records show a vehicle to be uninsured and not SORNed it is considered that the owner is intending to continue using it on the public road without insurance. The minimum SORN period is 21 days.''

''Regarding pre 1974 vehicles with registration documents still showing tax class PLG, the owner will now be required to the pay the PLG tax to get a tax disc. The owner will then need to send us the document which will be changed to historic class, and a refund of the remaining PLG tax paid will be made.''

Originally Posted by: Old Blue 

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/dvla-cuts-unnecessary-red-tape-for-motorists 

The Continuous Insurance Enforcement (CIE) scheme to tackle uninsured motorists was launched in June 2011. Under the scheme it is an offence to be the keeper of an uninsured vehicle.

Under CIE, keepers of vehicles which appear to be uninsured are sent reminder letters. Those who take no action receive a fixed penalty notice of £100, followed by enforcement action – wheelclamping, impounding and ultimately prosecution by the courts (the maximum fine in Court is £1,000).

So I maintain that it's not really an issue to get your tax disc without insurance, then go home and within the next few days arrange your insurance.

I would also add that I don't think it's a good idea to only tax and insure your car over the show season or for short periods, a lot of classics are getting stolen from drives and lockups, if it's not insured then it's gone with no compensation.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Rattletrap
10 years ago
Rattlletrap is having his hols at the moment.

John's still getting splitting headaches and so on from his recent head banging.:(

Theres also a certain split been giving him additiional 'split' head aches...:wink:

UserPostedImage 
Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
Old Blue
10 years ago

I'm not sure which horse you've been speaking to, but you need to look at section 143 of the Road Traffic Act 1988.

You only need to insure a motor vehicle if it is going to be used or kept on a public road.

With regard to obtaining a historic (free) tax disc, as I said before, it's the way you talk to people.

Maybe you should offer the horse a bigger carrot.

Herbs.

Originally Posted by: Herbert 

You still seem to be missing the point that while your car is not insured for at least third party cover, it is not just sufficient to keep your car off the road with no intention of driving.

The car must be declared SORN and if it has a valid tax disc you must send it back. Otherwise you can be fined even if its in the garage collecting dust.
1956 VW Beetle, 1962 Morris Minor, 1968 VW Beetle (Old Blue), 1972 Morris Mini, 2005 MGTF

Blue, blue, Electric Blue, that's the colour of Old Blue!
Rattletrap
10 years ago
Back on topic- let the DVLA make it rules regarding tax n SORN clearer I say.
Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
Rattletrap
10 years ago
Welll the guy that is researching the whole Rattlletrap history/story/legend/nonsense/cobblers (depending on your point of view ), has been over to visit me an Rattletrap. He has been driving all around the country visiting those stilll around with knowledge of Tony Levyand Rattletrap, so is very serious about the car. Hehas allready visted Tony Levy's widow, and one or two others including the once editor of a well-know but now deceased VW motoring magazine. His main aim is to get to the bottom of just how old Rattletrap (or some of him) really is.:smile:

Listening to varous comments and mumblings he made as he examined Rattletrap - pulling up carpets and mats - left me thinking that he though the oldest part of Rattletrap was a stale Tesco pork pie that he found wedged down behind the rear seat .:o

However, he is taking his project to the end, and has borrowed Rattletrap's document file to examine (and have scientifiically tested??) those items relating to the car dated from 1950/51.:shock:
lifeintheslowlane
10 years ago
I hope you didn't let him run off with that Pork Pie John...there is a burgeoning market in Classic Pork Pies...just do an EBay search.

When I started at Ordnance Survey's Drawing School in 1967 there was a general store next door that had a dusty collection of Miller's Pork Pies in the window. It was an impressive array that us young lads could only covet...money didn't seem to interest the owner when we tried to add them to our own collections.

They were there, untouched for the duration of our 6 month course. I distinctly remember the patina of congealed white fat on the base of those tough outer jackets...ahhh those were the day's when you could pick up salmonella for just a few pence.
John.
Old Blue
9 years ago

I hope you didn't let him run off with that Pork Pie John...there is a burgeoning market in Classic Pork Pies...just do an EBay search.

When I started at Ordnance Survey's Drawing School in 1967 there was a general store next door that had a dusty collection of Miller's Pork Pies in the window. It was an impressive array that us young lads could only covet...money didn't seem to interest the owner when we tried to add them to our own collections.

They were there, untouched for the duration of our 6 month course. I distinctly remember the patina of congealed white fat on the base of those tough outer jackets...ahhh those were the day's when you could pick up salmonella for just a few pence.

Originally Posted by: lifeintheslowlane 

I well remember when the British Railways pork pie was many the butt of the stand-up comic's gags. Now it appears that the Tesco pork pie is being used in a similar vogue by Rattletrap.

It is however interesting what may turn up in the untouched older Beetle. After Dad's passing a few years ago, I removed the seats and mats from Old Blue to give the floor a check and thorough clean. Hidden well down between the seat runner and tunnel, I found in the years of dirt collected, a shilling and a sixpence piece. Being a 1968 Beetle the car would have seen about three years of the old currency in use before decimalisation. I guess the coins must have been there for around 45 years!
1956 VW Beetle, 1962 Morris Minor, 1968 VW Beetle (Old Blue), 1972 Morris Mini, 2005 MGTF

Rattletrap
9 years ago

Originally Posted by: lifeintheslowlane 

Oh for the days before Health& Safety:!:

I've been on Ebay John but inputting pork pie or even classic pork pie just gives a load of old hat.:?

Rattletrap
9 years ago
Three wheels on my wagen....

[URL=https://s741.photobucket.com/user/rattletrapvw/media/Rattletrap%20is%20real%20photos/InspectingRT-1.][/URL]

Looking at Rattlletrap's nether region. No shortage of things to do:roll:
Old School
9 years ago

Welll the guy that is researching the whole Rattlletrap history/story/legend/nonsense/cobblers (depending on your point of view ), has been over to visit me an Rattletrap. He has been driving all around the country visiting those stilll around with knowledge of Tony Levyand Rattletrap, so is very serious about the car. Hehas allready visted Tony Levy's widow, and one or two others including the once editor of a well-know but now deceased VW motoring magazine. His main aim is to get to the bottom of just how old Rattletrap (or some of him) really is.:smile:

Listening to varous comments and mumblings he made as he examined Rattletrap - pulling up carpets and mats - left me thinking that he though the oldest part of Rattletrap was a stale Tesco pork pie that he found wedged down behind the rear seat .:o

However, he is taking his project to the end, and has borrowed Rattletrap's document file to examine (and have scientifiically tested??) those items relating to the car dated from 1950/51.:shock:

Originally Posted by: Rattletrap 

Glad the car's story is being persued. As mentioned, I did know Tony back in the late 1950s, so I am one of those still around as you say. Can't say that I can add to what is in this thread though.
Rattletrap
9 years ago

Glad the car's story is being persued. As mentioned, I did know Tony back in the late 1950s, so I am one of those still around as you say. Can't say that I can add to what is in this thread though.

Originally Posted by: Old School 

During the period known as winter, which here in London we did not have, Rattletrap seems to have gone almst bone dry regarding petrol. He's just been standing in the garage for the duration, andthere is no smell or sign of a leak.

So off I went this morning in my '71 to the local Tesco Express petrol station to get a couple gallon containers of fuel (and a pork pie) for Rattletrap. You know the '71, its the car that someone here claimed was certainly doomed to scrap having been left in the garden some years).

What struck me is how some people at the petrol station looked at the 1971 1300 as though it had just landed from Mars. Even more bemused looks followed when it appeared that I was throwing the containers of fuel into the engine (front boot).

Down the road at Wickes to pick up three bags of cement (also tossed into the engine), left a 14 year old with a fixation stare as i drove away in the Beetle. He reminded me how I was taken when at that age I saw an oval window parked nearwhere we lived - (Id not seen a split then).

I dont think even Rattletrap would have drawn more attention, and it makes me realise that the back window style doesnot count as much to Joe public as the fact its an air-cooled Beetle. Like comparing a new Golf to the original, the New 'bloated' Beetle that younger people have only seen, makes the original Beetle of any type look elegant, neat and small (plus having no engine).:smile:
AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
9 years ago
I know what you mean. When I went to fill up for Stanford Hall and popped the bonnet open a young woman looked perplex as I pumped petrol over the engine.

ps I did not get a pork pie.

Andy W
Rattletrap
9 years ago

I know what you mean. When I went to fill up for Stanford Hall and popped the bonnet open a young woman looked perplex as I pumped petrol over the engine.

ps I did not get a pork pie.

Andy W

Originally Posted by: AW 

Your motor not partial to pork pies then Andy. I reckon that the boy at Wickes must have been left with the impression that my Beetle runs on cement dust.:rofl:

Yes thats a point, like your car, Rattletrap's fuel filller is under the front bonnet. I'll have to watch that at the filling station when 'pumping petrol over the engine', there's a few out there that will take the opportunity of throwing a lighted match under his bonnet.:omg:
Rattletrap
9 years ago
Speaking of petrol stations, back in the day when I had MRT308, a 1952 Deluxe split, there were still some attended petrol stations in use. More than once did an attendant try to open the crotch-cooler flap to put the pump nozzle in.:roll:
Old School
9 years ago
I will be interested to see the outcome of the research into Tony's car.

I do remember though that at one time Tony had two Beetles - not mentioned anywhere here. The black one ''Rattletrap'', but also a lighter colour one.
Rattletrap
9 years ago

I will be interested to see the outcome of the research into Tony's car.

I do remember though that at one time Tony had two Beetles - not mentioned anywhere here. The black one ''Rattletrap'', but also a lighter colour one.

Originally Posted by: Old School 

Yes I have seen mention of it in past magazine articles about Rattletrap.I think it was a car for his wife to use. It was a1958/60 Beetle so with a single piece larger rear window making it more practical for her I guess.
bigoval
9 years ago

Your motor not partial to pork pies then Andy. I reckon that the boy at Wickes must have been left with the impression that my Beetle runs on cement dust.:rofl:

Yes thats a point, like your car, Rattletrap's fuel filller is under the front bonnet. I'll have to watch that at the filling station when 'pumping petrol over the engine', there's a few out there that will take the opportunity of throwing a lighted match under his bonnet.:omg:

I have had similar reactions from people young (kids) and fairly old (kids parents) while filling up at the local shell! Ranging from "why's that man putting petrol on his engine?..." to "Does it have an engine!?"

The lady in the kiosk is always pleased to see me in the Beetle and often holds the queue up while talking to me about it!

I did have (and eat) a large, and a small tesco pork pie at Stanford Hall! 🙂
Old Blue
9 years ago

Yes I have seen mention of it in past magazine articles about Rattletrap.I think it was a car for his wife to use. It was a1958/60 Beetle so with a single piece larger rear window making it more practical for her I guess.

They lived in the north London area, so understandably Tony's wife wanted a right hand drive car, which the later Beetle apparently was. Amazing that Tony managed to clock up so much of his car's claimed mileage in the UK, driving a car that was left hand drive, with no flashing direction signals, just about no rear vision, and mostly around the London area!

Old Blue
9 years ago

I have had similar reactions from people young (kids) and fairly old (kids parents) while filling up at the local shell! Ranging from "why's that man putting petrol on his engine?..." to "Does it have an engine!?"

The lady in the kiosk is always pleased to see me in the Beetle and often holds the queue up while talking to me about it!

I did have (and eat) a large, and a small tesco pork pie at Stanford Hall! :)

Originally Posted by: bigoval 

Old Blue being later does of course have the external filler cap. But yes, when I'm putting shopping items ''into the engine'', I do get some raised eyebrows!

Old School
9 years ago
Yes I thought that Tony's later car was a left hander, but its an awful long time ago and memories fade a little.