vintagebug
9 years ago

A detail, but in the last Classic Car Rescue last Sunday, they said near the beginning that the VW Beetle was the third best selling car in history. Now I know that some of my memory has gone due to my accident, but I thought it was THE best selling car of all. What then are the two better sellers, or is it down to some stupid badging thing like Toyota's Corolla:?

Originally Posted by: Rattletrap 

I noticed that too John. I actually sat there and told the voice-over guy that it was THE best-selling car... :d

Dave
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading"
Rattletrap
9 years ago

I noticed that too John. I actually sat there and told the voice-over guy that it was THE best-selling car... :d

Originally Posted by: vintagebug 

I heard it right then Dave.

Any challenges to the Beetle's record are badge speculators as mentioned earlier. Even VW talk of their Golf production figures as nearing that of the Beetle. But which Golf Mr Volkswagen? The Mark l, ll, lll, llll... two door, four door estate...
Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
Old Blue
9 years ago

Rattletrap perversely has an anti-roll bar (anti sway bar if you're American I believe).

UserPostedImage

Of course split windows did not have these originally, and Rattletrap's needs a new holding braket and rubber bushing that I have. But I'm thinking of just removing the whole thing for originality. Do they really make such a difference to handling:?

Jon managed to lose the one on our oval sometime ago. He says that losing the 'sissy bar' (as he calls it), has made no difference to the handling of the car.
1956 VW Beetle, 1962 Morris Minor, 1968 VW Beetle (Old Blue), 1972 Morris Mini, 2005 MGTF

Blue, blue, Electric Blue, that's the colour of Old Blue!
Old Blue
9 years ago

Originally Posted by: vintagebug 

Both the Toyota Corolla and Ford's Model T outsold the VW Beetle. So you need to apologise to the voice-over guy when you meet again.
1956 VW Beetle, 1962 Morris Minor, 1968 VW Beetle (Old Blue), 1972 Morris Mini, 2005 MGTF

Mike Peckham
9 years ago

Both the Toyota Corolla and Ford's Model T outsold the VW Beetle. So you need to apologise to the voice-over guy when you meet again.

Originally Posted by: Old Blue 

The Toyota Corolla was (is) a series of different cars that were all given the Corolla name so doesn't really count. I was under the impression that the Model T sold a little over 15 million, is that not so? Total Beetles made exceeded 23 million...

Mike

July 1957 UK supplied RHD Oval. 1972 World Champion Beetle. 1978 UK supplied RHD 1303LS Cabriolet. 1973 UK supplied RHD 1303s.
Old Blue
9 years ago

The Toyota Corolla was (is) a series of different cars that were all given the Corolla name so doesn't really count. I was under the impression that the Model T sold a little over 15 million, is that not so? Total Beetles made exceeded 23 million...

Mike

Originally Posted by: Mike Peckham 

According to Wikipedia the Corolla and Golf have both outsold the Beetle, though the Golf is listed way down the bottom of the page away from the Beetle and Corolla:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_automobiles 

Mike Peckham
9 years ago

According to Wikipedia the Corolla and Golf have both outsold the Beetle, though the Golf is listed way down the bottom of the page away from the Beetle and Corolla:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_automobiles 

Originally Posted by: Old Blue 

Perhaps you should read the page again, it makes the point that although the Corolla name has been attached to 40 million units, these were in fact a series of different models each bearing the name of their predecessor, so really not in the Beetle's league as it remained largely true to the original design all the way through it's production.

Similarly, the Golf is now in its 6th (?) generation (although it remains far more loyal to its original concept than did the Corolla).

The beetle's record is unique and likely to remain so all the time the current trend for constant revision and model updates remains in vogue.

Mike 😎

July 1957 UK supplied RHD Oval. 1972 World Champion Beetle. 1978 UK supplied RHD 1303LS Cabriolet. 1973 UK supplied RHD 1303s.
Rattletrap
9 years ago

Perhaps you should read the page again, it makes the point that although the Corolla name has been attached to 40 million units, these were in fact a series of different models each bearing the name of their predecessor, so really not in the Beetle's league as it remained largely true to the original design all the way through it's production.

Similarly, the Golf is now in its 6th (?) generation (although it remains far more loyal to its original concept than did the Corolla).

The beetle's record is unique and likely to remain so all the time the current trend for constant revision and model updates remains in vogue.

Mike 😎

Originally Posted by: Mike Peckham 

I think that the Wikepedia page is a bit misleading myself. I don't see how by attaching the same name to various different models can be remotely considered as a total number of units (40 million in this case). They are plainly different cars - a badging exercise as to be fair, is the Golf also.:thumbdn:
Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
Old Blue
9 years ago

Still not noticed, I thought we had some know-alls out there :roll:

No one has noticed. So it is?

Old Blue
9 years ago

Yes think its called classic car SOS. We have had the gardening programs then the housing programs and the cookery programs. Now it looks like we are in for the car programs :d

Andy W

Originally Posted by: AW 

Its on 4 tomorrow at 8pm. Apparently the subject is another Beetle.

Rattletrap
9 years ago
Not on Channel 4 but on an off beat channel called More 4:roll:

Tuned in on Channel 4 at 8pm and not there:!: By the time I found where it was actually showing - on a channel I'd never used, it was about 15 minutes in. Good programme, giving a 12volt Beetle the pre67 look, though with some dodgy graphics.

This programme struck me as being a few years old though judging by the style treatment the car was given.:?
Rattletrap
9 years ago

Well I managed it and here's the result :smile:

UserPostedImage 

Does anyone notice something though :wink:

Well its a length of copper pipe. It was the only pipe I had of the slightly oversize diameter I needed. It is thick guage, but does soon get very hot. Does the job well, muffles the noise down. I've never tried copper in such an application, and wonder just how well it will last.:?

Easy to remove and replace though, as it is bolted in with brackets.
1974dudley
9 years ago
McGiver would be proud of you, should work ok and easy enough to change if needs be.
ianmac
9 years ago
I think the exhaust gas through a copper pipe can create some pretty nasty toxic fumes? :shock: I might be wrong :?
vintagebug
9 years ago

Not on Channel 4 but on an off beat channel called More 4:roll:

Tuned in on Channel 4 at 8pm and not there:!: By the time I found where it was actually showing - on a channel I'd never used, it was about 15 minutes in.

You should pay more attention to our favourite forum John.... :wink:

https://forums.pre67vw.com/yaf_postst19704_Car-SOS--new-TV-programme.aspx 

Dave

Dave
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading"
Rattletrap
9 years ago

I think the exhaust gas through a copper pipe can create some pretty nasty toxic fumes? :shock: I might be wrong :?

Originally Posted by: ianmac 

Anyone have a canary I can borrow to travel with me in Rattletrap? :shock:
Old Blue
9 years ago

McGiver would be proud of you, should work ok and easy enough to change if needs be.

Originally Posted by: 1974dudley 

McGyver, Heath Robinson and from what I know about Rattletrap's roadside repairs, Tony Levy would have all been been impressed.

Love it though, this is the real spirit of what running a Beetle in the old days was all about, and in part why the car became so popular around the world. Why shell out on ridiculously high priced parts - its a Beetle not a Roller, Bentley or Porsche.

Old Blue
9 years ago

Originally Posted by: ianmac 

This is the down-side to this, and is proof perhaps that old cars should not be exempt from the MOT test. Owners altering their car's specification not knowing the consequenses. An owner making such changes could end-up in trouble if someone was to be made ill - or worse.

Rattletrap
9 years ago
Talk of toxic gases being created and getting into Rattletrap's cabin is pure speculation, and this is assuming that the heating is on which it wouldn't be as he would not be out in the cold weather.:smile:

Unless the MOT tester has a degree in chemistry, I doubt he'd consider what metal the pipe is made from and how the exhaust could react creating toxic fumes when passing along it. He's just looking for a relitavely quiet running car.:roll:
Rattletrap
9 years ago
So, some good news in the VW world to perk us all up - Rattletrap has arrived back from his hols with a Mrs Rattletrap, a VW stunner he met in Germany.

The knot was tied on car Deck B of the ferry crossing the Channel back to England. A bemused Chaplain undertook the rather unusual 'car service'.

UserPostedImage