Rattletrap
9 years ago
Been having a poke and tap around underneath Rattletrap.

Gave the r/h side heat exchanger side pipe (runs from silencer)a sharp tap with the hammer and it broke right through in the middle - well rotten.Rest of the exchnger is fine conditiion. Exchanger on l/h side all fine.

30hp motor. Whas availabilty an cost of the exchangers:?:
Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
9 years ago
These on Ebay at the mo says for 60/62 35 horse  he.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
pre67vw
9 years ago
You can get replacement pipes but it requires a bit of welding to fit them to the boxes.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Mike Peckham
9 years ago

These on Ebay at the mo says for 60/62 35 horse

Originally Posted by: AW 

John needs 30BHP heater boxes for 10 BXK. The ones on Ebay are for the later, stale air 34BHP engines (08/06 and later) and won't fit.

Heritage supply repro 30 BHP heater boxes, but they're pricey, it might be best to watch the compact ads on here and on the Samba or trawl Ebay. They're out there, just need to keep an eye open for them...

Mike 😎

July 1957 UK supplied RHD Oval. 1972 World Champion Beetle. 1978 UK supplied RHD 1303LS Cabriolet. 1973 UK supplied RHD 1303s.
Rattletrap
9 years ago
Thanks Andy, Mike, Rob - I've been checking out prices...:omg:

Plus availabiliity...:shock:

..which has made my bonce ache even more:cry:

I'm gonna trythis option at the mo, cause the rest of the exchanger seems so sound. May have some pipe suitablle in my garage pile of oddscrap bits. See if I can manage it with the motor in situ.

You can get replacement pipes but it requires a bit of welding to fit them to the boxes.

Originally Posted by: pre67vw 

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
9 years ago
These are on Ebay as well don't know if they are any good for you.  Used pipe.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Rattletrap
9 years ago

These are on Ebay as well don't know if they are any good for you.

Are they 30hp Andy:? Cant find them. Have you a link:?:
AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
9 years ago
Don't know what they are. Don't know how to put a link in. The number is 171340229678

Andy W
1974dudley
9 years ago
Hi i just looked and they are for the later stale air system. The j tubes could be used to repair the earlier box. its quite simple to take the early boxes apart as they are held together by tabs which can be pryed open by a flat tiped screwdriver. if the tabs break a quick fix for reassembly is to drill through both halves of the heater box and secure with a small nut and bolt and washer. alternatively you can buy j tubes from karmann konnection which come from ww i believe and they will require the bolting flange to be reused from your original tube. if your handy with a welder you could just replace the rotten section with a fresh section cut from the ones on ebay. Hope this helps.
Old School
9 years ago
I remember Tony fixing his car in the street a few times. Nothing too advanced thought, being in the road.
Rattletrap
9 years ago

if your handy with a welder you could just replace the rotten section with a fresh section cut from the ones on ebay. Hope this helps.

Originally Posted by: 1974dudley 

Not handy with the welder...

I'm going to try finding a slightly oversize pipe, break as much of the old pipe as poss from the centre where it has rotted - leaving a sound section of around an inch each end.Unbolt and pull the muffler back. Then i'll cut the new pipe to the correct length and push the end over the remainder of the original pipe (covered with silencer paste/cement) coming out of the exchanger. Then push the muffler back with its remaining inch of pipe (again covered with silencer paste/cement) into the end of the new pipe. Then using a gasket, paste/cement and clamp each end and tighten up clamp nuts.

Well thats my theory...:roll:
Rattletrap
9 years ago
Well I managed it and here's the result :smile:

UserPostedImage 

Does anyone notice something though :wink:
Old Blue
9 years ago
From the picture it looks like the heat exchanger is in generally good condition, it appears to still have its black paint on it. Well worth the repair considering cost of replacement.

Those on our oval have poor side pipes. Could be worth fitting some stainless steel ones, though they'd likely outlast the rest of the unit.
1956 VW Beetle, 1962 Morris Minor, 1968 VW Beetle (Old Blue), 1972 Morris Mini, 2005 MGTF

Blue, blue, Electric Blue, that's the colour of Old Blue!
Rattletrap
9 years ago

Well I managed it and here's the result :smile:

UserPostedImage 

Does anyone notice something though :wink:

Originally Posted by: Rattletrap 

Still not noticed, I thought we had some know-alls out there :roll:
Rattletrap
9 years ago
One to watch this evening:

Classic Car Rescue, 7pm Channel 5. This week's rescued and restored car is a VW Beetle.:smile:
AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
9 years ago
Yep they also did a split buss as well.

Andy W
Old School
9 years ago
I've been following 'For The Love of Cars' on Channel 4 which finished yesterday.

They've another classic car series starting next Sunday I hear. Looks like one programme will feature a Beetle.
AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
9 years ago
Yes think its called classic car SOS. We have had the gardening programs then the housing programs and the cookery programs. Now it looks like we are in for the car programs :d

Andy W
Rattletrap
9 years ago

Yes think its called classic car SOS. We have had the gardening programs then the housing programs and the cookery programs. Now it looks like we are in for the car programs :d

Andy W

Do you know when Andy:?:

Can't see it in todays TV listings for Channel 4 where its supposed to be shown.

A detail, but in the last Classic Car Rescue last Sunday, they said near the beginning that the VW Beetle was the third best selling car in history. Now I know that some of my memory has gone due to my accident, but I thought it was THE best selling car of all. What then are the two better sellers, or is it down to some stupid badging thing like Toyota's Corolla:?
Rattletrap
9 years ago
Rattletrap perversely has an anti-roll bar (anti sway bar if you're American I believe).

UserPostedImage

Of course split windows did not have these originally, and Rattletrap's needs a new holding braket and rubber bushing that I have. But I'm thinking of just removing the whole thing for originality. Do they really make such a difference to handling:?