pp
  • pp
  • Guest Topic Starter
14 years ago
Hello,

Hereby I wish to thank all who visited our show (with or without a car) last Sunday. Lier 2009 was fantastic, the best VW Classics & Vintage Meeting ever. Over 650 participants in total, nice weather all day long and many interesting cars to see. For the Vintage VW Show, 65 cars had pre-registered, but on the day itself many more turned up. We had prepared “Vintage” window stickers up to number 100, but that proved to be insufficient…! The quality of the cars was very high, many restored and unrestored beauty’s found their way to Lier. Participants came mainly from Belgium and the Netherlands, but some French cars were spotted too..!

We managed to surprise the crowd at the end of the show with a demonstration of Bob’s 1943 Schwimmwagen in the historical city center of Lier, at a spot some 500 meters from the meeting area. The Type 166 KdF was lifted in the river Nete in the morning (in all secrecy) with the help of a crane. The closed riverbank floods cross through the city, and there is no possibility for driving in/out, except for a slope blocked by heavy stone poles. The Schimmwagen was lifted in at 11 am (that’s when I got lucky, having my first Schwimmwagen experience) at the very end of the city and then sailed to the slope. There it stayed on display until the end of the meeting, leaving many tourists and passers-by puzzled: what is this thing and how did it get here…?

https://www.flat4free.be/forum/viewtopic.php?t=53946&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0 
https://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2033099&id=1006196398&saved 

Here a selection of images of the Schwimmwagen in Lier, posted in chronological order:

Unloading the Schwimm from the BBT truck:

Lifting the Type 166 in the water in the morning:

Sailing the river Nete, in the old centre of Lier (that’s me in the red T-shirt…):
UserPostedImage

Birds eye view:
UserPostedImage

Arrival at he slope, where the Schwimmwagen would stay on display until the demo-run:
UserPostedImage

We needed to paddle towards the slope, then drove up backwards. We have been spotted by two police men, they were a bit confused: “well gentlemen, how did this happen…?”. It seemded they really thought for a moment we had accidently drove a car in the water :roll: :lol:
UserPostedImage

Finally parked:
UserPostedImage

At the end of the day, the demo run with Steven and Nathalie as passengers:
UserPostedImage

https://www.nieuwsblad.be/Article/Detail.aspx?ArticleID=O72EB2KT&PostCode=2500 

A day to remember…8)

Best regards from Lier,
Paul
www.ppress.be  - Classic Car Photography
Rich Oakley
14 years ago
J-M, I want your car. I had a chat with him about it at BBT when I was changing the oil on my Bug. I don't think he will sell...
UserPostedImage
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
vintagevw
14 years ago

Hi Pascal,

Durbuy was great- it's a lovely little place. In fact, we liked it so much we're thinking of returning there for a weekend sometime! You mentioned you go there every November, what's it like at that time of the year? Are all the cafes & restaurants open?

Apologies for hijacking the thread!! :wink:

vintagebug wrote:

HI Dave,
Yew we are going every year in November for a gastronomic week-end, you can eat then meat from the wild animals in the woods, delicious!
And ofcourse don't forget the good regional beers too!
I can send you a link from the place where we are going every year about 3KM from Durbuy.
Here you have it, maybe usefull for other people too! :wink:
https://www.la-passerelle.be/ 

Wat is het fijn om lesbisch te zijn!
vintagevw
14 years ago

J-M, I want your car. I had a chat with him about it at BBT when I was changing the oil on my Bug. I don't think he will sell...
UserPostedImage

Rich Oakley wrote:

No he won't sell his split! :wink:
But he has sold his zwitter vert.....
It was for sale but not public, I know his vert for about 15 years.
Wat is het fijn om lesbisch te zijn!