beefykeefy
12 years ago

i had this issue with mine, the irons will prob be bent. take the bumper off, and put a screwdriver through the bolt slot and bent the iron upwards. hope that makes sense, but the bumper should be level.

car looks great though!

Robb wrote:

^^
Thanks Robb.

I had the irons powder coated silver a few years ago, and it's been like this since, so not really too worried.

They've either deformed due to heat when blasted, or could be that I've just fitted them wrong; usually work on the Beetle in a gloomy garage, or whilst the kids are hanging off my neck :oops:
Robb
12 years ago
maybe swap the irons side to side, may help :thumbup:
beefykeefy
12 years ago

maybe swap the irons side to side, may help :thumbup:

Robb wrote:

I was thinking that too... probably got them round the wrong way :oops:
beefykeefy
12 years ago
Been a while since I actually posted on my own thread :oops:

Done some little jobs lately, had the front seat and rear seat repaired and repadded before Christmas, keeping as much originality as possible. Used Spirit of 50's; great job done too.

Going to media blast the wheels (not sure whether to paint or powder coat now :? ) and fit some new tyres.

Oh, and must change the rear irons over :oops:

Must post some pics :idea:
beefykeefy
11 years ago
Some pics in the sun - (still haven't sorted the rear bumper out yet :oops: )

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
beefykeefy
11 years ago
Finally, stripped down and polished the AA badge my father in law gave me at Christmas.

Yellow paint had come off, hadn't any yellow knocking about, so painted same colour as car :shock:

Also, fettled with the bumper iron badge bracket to get the badge to fit...

[-x I know, not original, but I can always paint it yellow at some time...

UserPostedImage
beefykeefy
11 years ago
beefykeefy
10 years ago
Overhauling my wheels at the moment and have just sprayed the outer band of my first one.

Going to leave the masking tape on overnight (thanks Robb), but how long do I let the paint cure, before I put the tyre on? May need to cut the paint too, so when's the optimum time? It's drying in a warm room, so say a week?
Robb
10 years ago
sounds about right.

just go easy on cutting it, just incase you go through!
Robb
10 years ago
found a pair of those SWF silver wipers in my stash, got them for sale if you are interested?

UserPostedImage

£20
beefykeefy
10 years ago
First wheel done... 3 more and maybe the spare to do... Taking a long time, as doing one wheel at a time in the small hours...

UserPostedImage 
karlito
10 years ago
That looks great!
Robb
10 years ago
looking good keith! keep it up!

crossplys next?? :thumbup:
Robb
10 years ago
p.s dont forget to tell the tyre monkeys to fit stick on weights to the back sides, rather then the nast clip ones that knacker up your paint
beefykeefy
10 years ago

p.s dont forget to tell the tyre monkeys to fit stick on weights to the back sides, rather then the nast clip ones that knacker up your paint

Robb wrote:

Yep, thought of that... they're pretty good where I normally go. Weights will go on the back.

No crossplys though, got some classic radial tyres from Vredestein as a compromise.
beefykeefy
10 years ago
I have been getting nasty, nagging, recurring thoughts over whether or not to keep my car any longer.

I'm not sure whether it's the time of year, but I am no longer enjoying owning a Beetle or the VW scene in general (no offence), and it's kinda been creeping up on me since August.

I know these posts are a pain in the arse, but I was wondering how much it was worth...?? I was thinking about £5500.00???

Car isn't what you'd call perfect, but it's solid and has had much work done since I bought as a bit of shitter.

Here's a summary of work, some of which was done 3 or 4 years ago, but the car has covered very little mileage since -

• Body removed from floor pan.
• Floor pan off-side jacking point – rot cut out, and repaired with new section.
• Floor pan stripped of all components, wax, and old paint, abraded and painted with Epoxy Mastic 121.
• Gear-box stripped of old starter motor, wax and grease. Gearbox cleaned and painted silver.
• New starter motor fitted.
• Gearbox refitted with new gearbox mounts.
• New axle boot kit fitted to rear axles.
• New torsion bar rubbers and torsion bar caps fitted.
• New rear axle stop rubbers fitted.
• New rear anti-roll bar kit fitted (1967 only).
• Brakes stripped from floor pan, new hoses and brake lines fitted.
• Brakes converted from single circuit brakes to dual circuit, with new old stock dual circuit brake fluid reservoir and ATE master cylinder fitted. Stainless steel circlips fitted.
• Brake pedal assembly stripped and repainted, with new springs and rubber seals fitted where brake pedal assembly passes through floor pan.
• Handbrake and gear-lever stripped and painted.
• New front disc backing plates fitted.
• New wheel bearings fitted to front wheels.
• New shock absorbers (4No) and mounting kit fitted.
• Front beam stripped and repainted.
• New steering box fitted, including new coupling.
• New anti-roll bar kit fitted.
• Steering column stripped and repainted.
• New clutch fitted.
• New clutch cable fitted.
• Front and rear bumpers removed; bumper irons and all bumper sundries sand-blasted and powder coated.
• Rear of bumpers including over-riders abraded and painted silver as per factory.
• Stainless steel bumper mounting bolts fitted.
• Body repaired – old heater channels removed and new VW heater channels and closing plates fitted. New heater channels vents changed to earlier style.
• Body re-sprayed from swage line downwards.
• New Hooky’s A-post bottoms fitted.
• New Hooky’s closing plates fitted to heater channel bottoms.
• Front inner wheel arches repaired both sides.
• Rear inner wheel arches and body mounts repaired both sides.
• New VW body to floor pan seal (rubber) fitted.
• Body mounted to floor pan using stainless steel bolts throughout. Old one sheared off.
• All four wings stripped underneath and painted with Epoxy Mastic 121, primed, stone-chipped and painted body colour to match inner wheel arches.
• New wing beading to all wings. I still have the old ones.
• Wings fitted with stainless steel bolts. I still have most of the old ones.
• Rear lights and front indicators fitted with new rubbers and stainless steel bolts.
• Headlight seals renewed, stainless steel bolts fitted both sides.
• New engine bay seal.
• New spark plugs, leads, distributor cap, rotor arm, ignition coil and points fitted.
• New reproduction seat belts fitted (4No) from Wolfsburg West.
• Front fog lights fitted from Unity USA on badge bar - I'm told this is a period fitting.
• Period Kamei rear parcel shelf sourced and fitted.
• New rubber door seals fitted.
• New bumper iron grommets fitted.
• Running boards stripped underneath and painted.
• Runner boards refitted with stainless steel fixing kit. Old ones sheared.
• New exhaust fitted, including fitting kit.
• New stainless steel tail pipes fitted to exhaust.
• EMPI cheese-grater exhaust trim fitted.
• New bonnet handle gasket fitted.
• Doors fitted with stainless steel screws.
• New wing mirrors fitted to doors.

Lately, I have had the seats repaired by Spirit of the 50's, so they still look stock.

It still has original rubber floor mats, and comes with a period radio, which works off the original speaker. I also have another period radio, which I've not yet decided on lobbing in with the sale, if it goes...

I also have 67 only spare window winders from WW, and pop out catches also from WW. Still in their bags.

Headlining is passable, and probably the worst thing internally.

Car has four excellent tyres and a very good spare. I've tidied up two of the wheels by powder coating them, and detailing the outer band with Lotus white.

The other two haven't been done, as I've lost interest TBH, but these aren't too bad (plus I have got plenty of Lotus white paint). In the boot there's an original jack, and tar-board liner and electric cover (though that's a bit tatty).

Car generally has it's OYO special parts, including the elusive hub caps... It also has a speedo with an odometer, and an ashtray light, both of which folk seem to get moist over...

Help!

AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
10 years ago
Hi there I know what you mean about the VW scene. A lot of T#####s About. I went out of it years ago think it was about 91 ish after years of Hang loose etc etc and went and did other things. Now come back in to it I went to the old club were I just got ignord on more than one occasion. I do go to classic car shows hardly any VW only ones to me they are boring, been there done that and people talking appsalute B#####s to you About things. The big shock I had was the cost of it all the price of bits etc. If you do decide to sell the car and you get drawn to a Beetle again in the future be willing to dig deep in your pockets. I think keep the car and leave it there take time out do other things and keep away from the VW crowd. Then you may feel you did the wright thing in keeping her. Just my thoughts. :d

Andy W
beefykeefy
10 years ago

Hi there I know what you mean about the VW scene. A lot of T#####s About. I went out of it years ago think it was about 91 ish after years of Hang loose etc etc and went and did other things. Now come back in to it I went to the old club were I just got ignord on more than one occasion. I do go to classic car shows hardly any VW only ones to me they are boring, been there done that and people talking appsalute B#####s to you About things. The big shock I had was the cost of it all the price of bits etc. If you do decide to sell the car and you get drawn to a Beetle again in the future be willing to dig deep in your pockets. I think keep the car and leave it there take time out do other things and keep away from the VW crowd. Then you may feel you did the wright thing in keeping her. Just my thoughts. :d

Andy W

Originally Posted by: AW 

Cheers Andy. I think I'm going to lay the car up for Winter and see if my thoughts change come March. I just wanted to put out the feelers early though...

I do find the shows boring now; I even found myself at odds with Stanford Hall this year. Same old same old, although the classic car shows with a mix of vehicles are generally better - as for local club meets.... :shock:

I'm going to give Slough a go and see if that lifts my pecker a bit....

Robb
10 years ago
I know exactly what you mean mate. Been thinking of selling mine recently too. But then I get back in it and think, no!

the VW shows do get boring year in year out, so what I do is attend just some regular classic car shows as well. In fact I do better with the 67 in the concourse at these then at vw shows.......less biased in my opinion :rofl:

youll never find another white 67 as clean as yours!
harveypj
10 years ago
[quote=Robb;57619]the VW shows do get boring year in year out /quote]

I find this a bit too, same cars, same traders. Thats not to say the shows are not worth going to, the organisers do a great job their deddication is admirable :thumbup: Stanford Hall is awsome, as are many of the other shows. Its the reppatition thing. To keep the novalty factor up I tend to just attend one or two of my favorite shows a year.
Think next year I will take a leaf out of Robbs book and look out for a local general classic car show and poodle along to that.

Stock......the new custom