Rich Oakley
13 years ago
Tim,

Thank you very much for organising such a great event. Like everybody else I spoke to today, I feel that it ranked amongst the top 'vintage VW' gatherings of recent times. Well done!

Rich.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
13 years ago
Hello

I had a great day - nice cars, nice people - and even the wife said that there were some nice cars there - My oval perfomed without fault even in tonights rain... Thank You for organising... We have only just got in, but thats because we stopped of at my sisters in Reading for a roast dinner... Perfect day! :d

Julian
(Bedfordshire)
www.vwoval.co.uk
PK56
13 years ago
Have to say this was a top show. Really enjoyed it. Same again next year then?
gipf
  • gipf
  • pre67vw Junkie
13 years ago
Could i still get a sticker? I didn't know about them either! :roll:
Sunroof53
13 years ago
Thanks to all who organised the event ,it was a great show and I soon forgot how cold it was.
I am sure Ivan hirst would have been pround of this event
chthemonkey
13 years ago
great show ill get some of my photos on tonight when im home from work got to work all hours to afford this hobby but its worth it
Mike Peckham
13 years ago
A big thanks to Tim and all the others who were involved in putting together this fantastic meeting. It was a joy to see so many stock, early cars in one place. There was an intimate feel to the gathering, which was emphasised by seeing so many familiar faces in a relatively small venue. There was an overall friendly and convivial feeling to the whole day.

Will this become a regular fixture on the show scene calendar?

The rain held off all day until we were on the motorway on the way home, I am happy to report that once we had made an unscheduled pit stop on the hard shoulder to tighten the windscreen wiper arm that had come loose (many thanks to the guy in the red beetle who stopped to offer assistance), the rest of the trip home in the oval in convoy with Rich Oakley’s ’47 was pretty much uneventful. The beetles purred along beautifully despite the heavy rain.

Thanks again to all that made the meeting possible.

Mike

July 1957 UK supplied RHD Oval. 1972 World Champion Beetle. 1978 UK supplied RHD 1303LS Cabriolet. 1973 UK supplied RHD 1303s.
55Kab
13 years ago

Here's a few shots Martin

54 Gertie wrote:

Tks Will.

Really nice turn out, although I'm not sure what that yellow 17" wheeled Cabrio is doing at the head of one of those line-ups... :shock:

Good to see such a big turn out of Split Bugs. In fact, there seems to be more stock Vintage bugs there than you'd see at Stanford or Peppercorn!

surrey67
13 years ago
What a fantastic meeting , Really enjoyed it Thanks for organising it Tim , Big cheer for you 😎
1967 Westfalia SO42

Yes. A very good gathering of Vintage VW's. I think it only lacked the sunshine. Thank you Tim.
48REME
13 years ago
Thank you Tim and all at the REME base for such a nicely organised event. What a great day out it was!:wink:
Emily's dad
13 years ago
Dear all, on behalf of REME, the Army and myself I would like to thank everyone who came at the weekend and made it such a special show.

I have got a wash up meeting with the Army this week and I would like to give everyone the opportunity to comment on the show, the good and the bad – we’d all like to see the show repeated but we’d like your opinions on how we could make it better for next year.

Many thanks!

Yours - Tim

http://ivanhirst.com  and the Ivan Hirst Volkswagen meeting! UserPostedImage
surrey67
13 years ago
I enjoyed meeting Rob yesterday , he gave a novice like me a quick history lesson on Beetles , Cheers Rob ! :beer: :d
1967 Westfalia SO42

what a great show, in a great location!

needs to be 100% stock area, which was great too see them all in one place

but the parking for non vw's needs to be a bit closer!!
13 years ago

Dear all, on behalf of REME, the Army and myself I would like to thank everyone who came at the weekend and made it such a special show.

I have got a wash up meeting with the Army this week and I would like to give everyone the opportunity to comment on the show, the good and the bad – we’d all like to see the show repeated but we’d like your opinions on how we could make it better for next year.

Many thanks!

Yours - Tim

Emily's dad wrote:

Hello

I think the show was great. and I'm sure many wont agree... but... . I dont think it should be every year... the reason it was so special is that it isn't an every day event....

Events like camberg etc are so good, because you have to wait, so people make the effort to get there ...

(IMHO)
www.vwoval.co.uk
PK56
13 years ago

Many thanks!

Yours - Tim

Emily's dad wrote:

I think the show should definitely be an anuual event. Word will get around about how good it was and it is likely that there will be a lot more people there next time assuming it is not going to clash again with another show. So I think the other VW carpark will fill up quickly next time so the organisers will need to be prepared for this.

Overall, I think the show was spot on so you would not need to change much. Perhaps a free autojumble where people can sell their bits and bobs.

I was thinking food wise, as it's an army base, maybe the army could knock up some of their famous army cooking and have a food stall selling decent grub. May be a nice curry. Yum!

Oh, and may be no 17 inch alloys sneaking in.

Thanks again Tim for organising the show. It was a real breath of fresh air for the vintage scene and I have only heard very good comments about it from everyone I have spoken to.
tman
  • tman
  • pre67vw Junkie
13 years ago
My thanks go to Tim, the REME museum and the good folks from Historic VW Club for a great show of lovely cars. I think the pictures speak for themselves in terms of how successful this meeting turned out. I feel a little guilty travelling just 1/2 an hour to the meeting, whereas some folks clearly gave up a whole day just to be present with their cherished VW for the rest of to admire and enjoy!

I do take on board Julian's point about this not being an annual event but I'd far prefer to see it an an annual event that just gets better every year. Being a 1-day 'meeting' as opposed to a 2-day 'weekend show', it avoids a lot of the niggles we've seen discussed here in the past.

your opinions on how we could make it better for next year.

Emily's dad wrote:

Perhaps offer enamelled REME/VW badges to exhibitors?

By the way, it was pretty cool how the the guy in the military uniform confidently strode out into the road in front of us as we approached in the Beetle and showed us, in no uncertain terms, where we were going. I don't know whether he was packing heat [I think possibly Simon told him we were friendlies] but I wasn't going to argue! :wink: Great stuff!
Andrew
195x Deluxe oval Beetle
Binz Doublecab
Sunroof53
13 years ago
A few photos for anyone who missed it.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage