billy739
11 years ago
the story,

bought a bug as a reto project , i knew it displayed the wrong reg as it had been transfered years ago.

i was originally told it was never given a replacement reg? spoke to dvla they said it had to be given one , so send application with a note explaining , they can get the reg from the chassis

they request an inspection , booked for wednesday at local office

friday i get a letter from dvla , the reg does not match the chassis number and they do not have the chassis number on record at all.

if i want to register i need to apply from the start !

can i be bothered tho?

car is a RHD march 58 delux? almost complete , and now structually soild

i could do with the body and suspension to restore an oval ?

so do i register or break it?
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
pre67vw
11 years ago
Don't break a solid car just because of some dvla cock-up, minor set backs happen - get it registered!

These cars are getting rarer and rarer.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
vintagebug
11 years ago

Don't break a solid car just because of some dvla cock-up, minor set backs happen - get it registered!

pre67vw wrote:

X 2.

I couldn't agree more. If it's as solid as you say it is then register it.

Dave
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading"
chrisbug91
11 years ago
It would be such a shame to break such a rare car that could be saved in my opinion.
1975 1300 (1 family owned)
11 years ago
Registering it is easy... why would you not do it? It only costs about £55 (cheaper than the Tax would be if you were to buy it!)
www.vwoval.co.uk
billy739
11 years ago
im looking into it , have called the DVLA to ask why have they sent a letter saying they cant register it when they have not carried out the inspection yet???

they cant answer ,as usual the person dealling with it is 'away' but they are looking into it and are going to call me back asap!

the person i spoke too also seemed to be confused as to why they sent the letter if its not been inspected , no point in going for an inspection if they cant do anything!

looking into some detail and the original email i got when buying the bug , it may be the dealer demonstrator as apperently it may be a 1 owner , and that being the garage owner!
no proof tho , but it seems to be a delux?

L.CLARK(ILKESTON)LTD apparently a vw dealership late 50's
11 years ago
They will want to inspect it so they can re-register it anyway...
www.vwoval.co.uk
billy739
11 years ago
yeah i know , but thats after i apply to vwgb and get them to approve the year ,then book an inspection , cant see that will all happen in 2 days!

current inspection is wed 16th , i have asked why they need to inspect if they have told me they cant do anything as they have no record.they had no answer to that and still waiing the return phone call to confirm if the inspection need to be carried out or canceled.

if they can inspect and keep the files for when i apply for registration then all good , but if they will need to arrange another inspection for that specific request whats the point of going wednesday?
billy739
11 years ago
ok , DVLA inspection update.

does a vw birth certificate show body number?
GKL 7
11 years ago
Any birth cert i have ever seen does not include the body number.
Reading thru' your comments you say it was originally registered by a VW dealer,i can't imagine any of the dealerships registering a vehicle on it's body number.
What are the chassis and body numbers? A little homework would determine if they match.
billy739
11 years ago
vw birth certificate ordered
chrisbug91
11 years ago
Some photos of the car would be good :smile:
1975 1300 (1 family owned)
GKL 7
11 years ago
Body and chassis numbers are within a month, so it's looking OK.
billy739
11 years ago
just spoken to dvla

if the examiner is happy that the body no is a body number and the chassis number is the chassis number and the body number has been used as a chassis number DVLA will amend there records and send the V5 that they hold on record for the car !

obviously this is subject to also sending a letter to the previous recorded keeper which apparently was last changed in 2001

initially the examiner thought i had 2 cars made into 1( different chassis numbers on chassis and body)but the fact that the original chassis plate is still on the car and looks genuine with the chassis no stamped in , right next to the body number hopefully he will understand!
but hopefully once i explained about body and chassis numbers he understood. hopefully this is what he will put in his report

fingers crossed to no registration process!
AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
11 years ago
Good luck with this and keep us all informed. If all goes ok she will be at Stanford Hall

:wink:

Andy W
Rich Oakley
11 years ago

ok , DVLA inspection update.

turns out the vehicle has only ever been registered with the body number, not chassis number

they tried telling me that i had 2 vehicles , the body was with the reg the chassis was from another car!

but after a chat its confirmed the body number had been used fo registration.

XYY 33 was almost certainly the original reg

XYY 33 has not been on the car since records began , 1973???

i could not get the info of when it was last taxed or any inclination of its issued plate tho

because the body nuymber dosent match the chassis no. then i have to re register it.:(

does a vw birth certificate show body number?

on the plus side as its pre 60 i dont need tax or mot to register it , just insurance , date proof and some cash!

so it may hit the roads once more.

looking like uk supplied ,one owner , delux , 71000 miles

anyone interested in it for £2500 so i can get on with my oval?

billy739 wrote:

As I mentioned to you in one of my PMs last week, XYY 33 was first issued in 1933 so it would have been transfered onto that car at some point in its life 😉 XYY 33 is currently assigned to a modern VW Polo so you will not be using that plate!
I know that if you want to transfer plates on and off pre-'60 cars you do need an MoT. I would have thought this would have been the same to assign a new plate to the car (but I could be wrong).
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
Old Blue
11 years ago
You will have to have a MOT pass certificate for the car to make any registration change. Simililarly, if you have to first register the vehicle, it will have to have an MOT certificate, the same as if you import a pre 1960 vehicle to UK register.
1956 VW Beetle, 1962 Morris Minor, 1968 VW Beetle (Old Blue), 1972 Morris Mini, 2005 MGTF

Blue, blue, Electric Blue, that's the colour of Old Blue!
Old Blue
11 years ago

pre67vw wrote:

Agree, a RHD 1958 is a very desireable and indeed useable Beetle.
1956 VW Beetle, 1962 Morris Minor, 1968 VW Beetle (Old Blue), 1972 Morris Mini, 2005 MGTF

Blue, blue, Electric Blue, that's the colour of Old Blue!
billy739
11 years ago
update.

apparently any day for the v5!
last v5 activity was 2001

built on 22 aprill 1958
114 vw delux
AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
11 years ago
having not seen it but too cheep i would say looking at the vehicles that are on offer :d

Andy W