Last Triumph
13 years ago
Tiny update - spent the entire night cleaning up the front brake component hardware as per usual. Dull, boring, messy, finger aching, but satisfying none the less.

Front cylinders had a little retirement party and are now enjoying the view from the cardboard box with their brethren.

UserPostedImage

And the results of all the detailing...

UserPostedImage

Box on the right is missing two springs as one was missing and the other was stretched, but I've got a full car set of new hardware to pick and choose from if any single component looks too tired.

Back working long and late hours, so it'll be shorts and sweet updates for a while, but I'll try and keep them coming.

I can supply...
25/36hp Crank-Flywheel shims - 3 sizes
NOS king pin thrust & fibre washers - all sizes
Cloth braided nitrile fuel hose safe for modern fuels
PM me for details...
mrsherbie
13 years ago

Sorry, can't agree in this case Anna (now I'm scared :lol: )
With the amount of care LT is taking to ensure every thing he touches is rteturned to within (or should I say bang on) 'Factory' tolerence, I can only imagine it will feel more like a 'factory feel drive' than if the worn parts had been left.

"Keep up the good work LT"

Agree with you though on leaving the headliner well alone, that could be emotional.

harveypj wrote:

Every car IS different of course. I just know that of all the vws I have ever driven only a couple in 20+yrs drove with that x factor 'vw magic' and these couple were all original never taken apart. I dont have any problem with maintenance.

I guess a lot depends on how much a car will get used in the future too. LT is going to use his a lot. Mine rarely even move about :lol:
In general driving a car a bit first and then putting it through an MOT test is the first stop usually before starting to replace stuff. I do not believe 'factory tolerances' can be replicated entirely on any car once its been apart full stop. Its like og paint, once its gone its gone.

But at the end of the day, as I said it is only my own view, and they ARE only 'toys' so the enjoyment/use is entirely different for each of us isnt it and I understand entirely that some people enjoy playing about with them more than others :d

"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
Rattletrap
13 years ago

But at the end of the day, as I said it is only my own view, and they ARE only 'toys' so the enjoyment/use is entirely different for each of us isnt it and I understand entirely that some people enjoy playing about with them more than others :d

mrsherbie wrote:

Early Beetles are just art to look at and enjoy. I wouldn't even consider putting my '49 through the MOT with some monkey whacking the bottom with a mallet and slamming the bonnet down with the support erect.:roll:

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
Last Triumph
13 years ago
As I've said, I've only done what has been essential to keep the car running, and have done it to the best possible stanrd I can.

As a side issue - has anyone got a spare brass star adjuster wheel for the brake sues that they want to donate to the cause?

One of mine has a tooth missing and I'd like to keep everything og VW and not have an aftermarket item gate crashing the party.

I can supply...
PM me for details...
mrsherbie
13 years ago

Early Beetles are just art to look at and enjoy. I wouldn't even consider putting my '49 through the MOT with some monkey whacking the bottom with a mallet and slamming the bonnet down with the support erect.:roll:

Rattletrap wrote:

Good grief neither would I :shock: :lol: We are always 'present' during an mot. And my mot tester's have to go through thorough rigorous verbal and non verbal reasoning testing before they are allowed to touch anything :lol:
But you are even worse than me for lack of use :lol: I keep my split mot'd just so I can go to war & peace if I fancy it, no london, no motorways or main roads involved, all country lanes round here. Blimey mine would also be housebound If I lived in London so I dont blame you!

Anyway back to the thread as I know we are all in total agreement of enjoying photos of what we should probably all be doing to our neglected charges :lol:

"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
Last Triumph
13 years ago
Currently suffering a radio silence from the post office...

Now waiting for 7 different packages to arrive. :roll:
I can supply...
PM me for details...
cupa65
13 years ago
Think it might be time for us 57-67ers to create an extensive, interesting and image filled thread. Seems like Last Triumph is trumping us all! Ps Was the Last Triumph a Dolomite or a 2500PI?

Keep um coming

PPS Did you get any new car trainers for Christmas? I got an oil stainer and a tangerine:wink:  IMG_0745.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Last Triumph
13 years ago

Think it might be time for us 57-67ers to create an extensive, interesting and image filled thread. Seems like Last Triumph is trumping us all! Ps Was the Last Triumph a Dolomite or a 2500PI?

Keep um coming

PPS Did you get any new car trainers for Christmas? I got an oil stainer and a tangerine:wink:

cupa65 wrote:

Nope - the trainers are with me for the duration! :lol: They're rapidly becoming sandles though!

THe name Last Triumph is a double entendre based on the user name I had on a previous car forum when I had a Marcos.

I used to own a special 1972 Marcos which weas the last ever built and registered Marcos to leave the factory 1/1/72 before the receivers closed the doors. The receivers ordered the completion of the remaining 11 cars that were part complete but without engines as Volvo who ere supplying the engines at the time cut off supply when the bills weren;t being paid. The only engines available to the receivers were a handfull of Triumph 2.5 6 cylinder engines that were intended for the failed 4 seater mantis project. These were not PI motors, but ran twin strombergs and slightly lower compression and approx 105bhp.

My car was the very last of these 11 cars and one of only 5 remaining in the world, as I traced the history of every single one of them. I sold it to a collector in Germany in 2005.

The name stuck as it kind of fits with me a little in that I've been there, done it, got the T shirt with so many cars, but the VW passion has never wained, and this car is now my last and final triumph....

I can supply...
PM me for details...
cupa65
13 years ago
Last Triumph
13 years ago

Any pics?

cupa65 wrote:

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
I can supply...
PM me for details...
pre67vw
13 years ago
odd looking VW :?
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
cupa65
13 years ago
Cool car. Cool colour. I always had a soft spot for twin Strombergs.
Last Triumph
13 years ago

Cool car. Cool colour. I always had a soft spot for twin Strombergs.

cupa65 wrote:

They were superb - crisp, instant throttle response with smooth power deilivery and no hesitation or flat spots.

Anyway - back to things VW based....
I can supply...
PM me for details...
Rattletrap
13 years ago
Your next project awaits you, Last Triumph.

At least it has the original sun visor, and that just needs a clean :d
 Dead Oval.png You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
Last Triumph
13 years ago

Your next project awaits you, Last Triumph.

At least it has the original sun visor, and that just needs a clean :d

Rattletrap wrote:

Easzy peazy....
I can supply...
PM me for details...
GKL 7
13 years ago

pre67vw wrote:

Must be one of those "Kit cars".:roll:
Last Triumph
13 years ago

Must be one of those "Kit cars".:roll:

'50 Karmann wrote:

Don't even go there - last of the factory produced cars! :beer:
I can supply...
PM me for details...
Rattletrap
13 years ago

pre67vw wrote:

I have to retract my remark about the VW Schwimmer being so ugly that only its mother could love it........:roll:

Last Triumph
13 years ago
Whilst waiting for parts to arrive, I took the opportunity of a day off to tackle a job I've not been looking forward to - cleaning the front beam and trailing arms.

I can safely report that this job is as messy and grim as I expected it to be and whilst not finished, the 5 hours invested this afternoon have certainly given me a cleaner canvas to do the final detail clean before I seal it with wax and fit it back on the car.

This is the sorry state it was in.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

As you can see, the two bump stops have perished and split, so there are new pair in the post somewhere.

I set the beam up over a dust bin to make it a more comfortable working height and to catch the copious quantities of jet fuel I used to try and break down the dirt and grime.

UserPostedImage

This was me for most of the afternoon...

UserPostedImage

Like I say, it's not finished as there is still some junk in the nooks and crannies that I'll detail out of there before sealing it which can be identified as the mustard coloured stuff that looks like rust. It's absolutely solid like the rest of the car with just a light surface of corrosion to show for the last 53 years.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

The rubber seals/bushes are in perfect condition, so other than new bump stops, several coats of sealing wax and a good greasing, it'll be good to go.
I can supply...
PM me for details...
Rattletrap
13 years ago
Front beam off and cleaned and dismantled. I really take my hat off to you Last Triumph:beer: