stu
  • stu
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago

But regardless of personal preference, like it or not, a genuine sunroof split IS worth at least 50% more than a tin top.

mrsherbie wrote:

lol, no not 50% more anna, who told you that?
Standard split
15 years ago
If a nice tidy split is, say for sale at £5,000 then it would be of no real surprise to see a very similar split of the same vintage but with a factory sunroof for sale at £7,500 :d

But having said that, I'm not a fan of sunroofs over tin tops, and would rather keep the £2,500 difference to lavish on the tin top car which, to my eye looks nicer with its curves unspoilt by what looks a little like a large rug laid on the roof :shock:

However, I think I know which car I would like to be traveling in on a hot day though 😎

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
stu
  • stu
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago

If a nice tidy split is, say for sale at £5,000 then it would be of no real surprise to see a very similar split of the same vintage but with a factory sunroof for sale at £7,500 :d

But having said that, I'm not a fan of sunroofs over tin tops, and would rather keep the £2,500 difference to lavish on the tin top car which, to my eye looks nicer with its curves unspoilt by what looks a little like a large rug laid on the roof :shock:

However, I think I know which car I would like to be traveling in on a hot day though 😎

Standard split wrote:

thats exactly why i dont like ragtops too, it spoils the look of the roof & the lines in my eyes, like you say it looks like someones plonked a rug on the roof, but i must admit it is nice to be driving a ragtop on a hot sunny day with it fully open
vintagevw
15 years ago
And what about verts? :wink: :lol:
Wat is het fijn om lesbisch te zijn!
Standard split
15 years ago
Verts have a character all of their own. The window lines are much different from the saloon (less curvy and less deep) and really work well with the straight lines of the hood.

Early verts do look good, but I still think an early unspoiled saloon looks better :!:

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
GKL 7
15 years ago
You know what i think,don't you  1.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
stu
  • stu
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago

You know what i think,don't you

'50 Karmann wrote:

no? can you give us a clue? :lol:
Standard split
15 years ago
Nah, it doesn't have that gorgeous split rear window – no contest as far as I'm concerned George :d
stu
  • stu
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago

Nah, it doesn't have that gorgeous split rear window – no contest as far as I'm concerned George :d

Standard split wrote:

plus it doesnt have any of the other rounded windows either, or the rounded roof, alot of the best parts of a beetle are lost on a vert, no offence! its still a nice car
GKL 7
15 years ago
:roll:  moron.gif You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Standard split
15 years ago
These very early cabrios do look nice from the rear three quarter view, I don't think anyone would say otherwise. This is probably why you pictured yours at that angle George :!:

But then a split looks even nicer from the rear three quarter view (beauty being in the eye of the beholder of course).

However, a split also looks good from the front too (as does an oval), with the small nicely curved windscreen leading into the curved roofline, lost with late '57 Beetles on. The cabrio's screen is not so curvy, being more like that of the later rectangular window saloons and just does not look so old-fashioned.

As I said before though, these early Karmanns have a character of their own and the widow lines were cleverly designed to suit the hooded top :wink:

mrsherbie
15 years ago
But with split kabs you get that yummy little sausage of a rear window instead! That surely has to be THE most cool single piece of VW glass ever made on any model full stop?! :d

UserPostedImage

accessory dog.. :lol:

"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
stu
  • stu
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago

But with split kabs you get that yummy little sausage of a rear window instead! That surely has to be THE most cool single piece of VW glass ever made on any model full stop?! :d

mrsherbie wrote:

no bcos you cant see shit out of it lol
Standard split
15 years ago
[quote=mrsherbie]But with split kabs you get that yummy little sausage of a rear window instead! That surely has to be THE most cool single piece of VW glass ever made on any model full stop?! :d

No way – the split window is a real piece of art, and it sits so well above the centre line curve on the 'W' deck lid. This was the original intended design, the back of the cabrio is not :lol:

GKL 7
15 years ago

no bcos you cant see shit out of it lol

stu wrote:

I can see you, red in the face with rage,STILL looking for an oval:lol: :lol: :lol:
stu
  • stu
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago

I can see you, red in the face with rage,STILL looking for an oval:lol: :lol: :lol:

'50 Karmann wrote:

i must admit it is starting to drive me nuts, did you ask around? :d
GKL 7
15 years ago

i must admit it is starting to drive me nuts, did you ask around? :d

stu wrote:

Yeah!they were really cheap aswell
But guess what....

They were all SUNROOFS:wink:
stu
  • stu
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago

Yeah!they were really cheap aswell
But guess what....

lol, ok :lol:

They were all SUNROOFS:wink:

'50 Karmann wrote:

61 Devon
15 years ago
Car still for sale, have just had the birth certificate from VW museum which confirms date of manufacture, and that the car is a 11G Deluxe Sunroof. Already knew it was correct but this information just proves it.

I have had a few exchange offers but nothing that has realy grabbed me, so make me an offer ????

And Please STU - for the love of god, do not add comment or add a reply. I find your comments unhelpful and not warranted by man or beast.
Caledfryn
15 years ago

And Please STU - for the love of god, do not add comment or add a reply. I find your comments unhelpful and not warranted by man or beast.

61 Devon wrote:

I agree. If you don't like it, it's best not to comment, especially when the owner is on the same thread! :shock:

Have to say Si, if this had come up a little earlier I'd have put an offer in and bought ANOTHER VW from you! (Martin here - ex-'55 Split owner!)As it is I bought a '54 Rhd Oval (pics elsewhere on this forum somewhere!) to fill the gap left in the garage by the departure of the Split.