Robb
  • Robb
  • Guest Topic Starter
14 years ago
Im currently preparing my 67 bug for the concourse/show and shine scene this year. The deadline is stanford hall. 😎

i want to strip the underseal off the wheelarches, whats the best method?

Understandably once ive stripped the underseal the wheelarches will need repainting, so what is acceptable to the judges? as i am unsure as to what exactly they look for.

Should i spray on a light stonechip then paint? or just paint?

Im hoping to get my car up to the same standard as Roy Wilsons 67 pictured below :d

UserPostedImage

thanks inadvance 😎
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
54 Gertie
14 years ago
If the car is to be a dry driven/concourse car, then I would personally paint in body colour, then clear Waxoyl

William
GKL 7
14 years ago
You won't win a single concours using waxoil.
The car has to be precisely as the day it was built,no underseal,no waxoil.Just nice painted inner wings, polished, super clean.
In the brief time i showed the Karmann,when ever i did a show i spent two weeks on my back cleaning underneath.Literally an hours drive can create you a weeks work.(oh!and be prepared to do it all again,once you've taken your place in the line up)
I weighed it all up....benefits against work involved[-x not for me.Just drive it and enjoy it or get something more usable.I used to Kack myself driving that thing,some idiot could have taken £60K out with a single sidesweep.
And don't forget every mile you drive,damage is being done,there is a lot of rubbish flying around our motorways.All those little stones are chipping away,out with the small can of paint and artist brush.
Entering concours competitions is like taking on a second job.IF you want to win that is:wink:  _K3C4937.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Rich Oakley
14 years ago
Concours, schmoncours; that's what I say. Like George says, unless you're really going to get 'hardcore' about it, my personal opinion is that you should drive and enjoy and then you don't have to worry about using cotton buds to clean the tyre treads etc. You would never win anyway, this following item is missing from your car....
UserPostedImage

:lol: :wink:
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
Robb
  • Robb
  • Guest Topic Starter
14 years ago
Paint it is then. Thanks for your replies.

Come on Rich sell me the tax disc holder 🙂 pretty please
Rich Oakley
14 years ago

Paint it is then. Thanks for your replies.

Come on Rich sell me the tax disc holder 🙂 pretty please

Robb wrote:

Sorry matey, no can do. It belongs on my Savannah Beige beauty! That dealership was really in the middle of nowhere. Have you ever been to Great Witley? There's about ten houses there and a million acres of farmland. Maybe farmers in the area liked VWs? Mine was owned by a local milkman from new up until 2009!
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
GKL 7
14 years ago

Sorry matey, no can do.

Rich Oakley wrote:

You're just a tease Oakley,darn right cruel:wink:
Standard split
14 years ago

I used to Kack myself driving that thing,some idiot could have taken £60K out with a single sidesweep.

'50 Karmann wrote:

And this is the man that wonders why my low-mileage all original untouched '49 never gets driven:wink:

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
GKL 7
14 years ago

And this is the man that wonders why my low-mileage all original untouched '49 never gets driven:wink:

Standard split wrote:

Oh yes!!!But it got driven.
Standard split
14 years ago

Oh yes!!!But it got driven.

'50 Karmann wrote:

About 23 years ago 😎

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
GKL 7
14 years ago
These cars are just worth too much now,and a third more cars on the road in the last twenty years means by average a third more idiots.
So it got sold into a climatically controlled enviroment.
I spent two weeks cleaning it before it left,thinking it will probably look the same in twenty years.
I'm happy,i saved one and now it's in a safe place.
Standard split
14 years ago

These cars are just worth too much now,and a third more cars on the road in the last twenty years means by average a third more idiots.
So it got sold into a climatically controlled enviroment.
I spent two weeks cleaning it before it left,thinking it will probably look the same in twenty years.
I'm happy,i saved one and now it's in a safe place.

'50 Karmann wrote:

My '49 stays here. Safe locked away. Hasn't rotted away in 60 years, even in our crap climate, my joy is seeing such a time-warp Vintage VW each day. It'll outlast me, so why should I want to send it somewhere 'safe' for someone else to hide-away :?

Robb
  • Robb
  • Guest Topic Starter
14 years ago
That's ok, I have a mate who can reproduce that tax disc.

You guys sure like to hijack threads on this forum :d
Standard split
14 years ago

These cars are just worth too much now.

'50 Karmann wrote:

Not just vintage VWs inflicted with high values.

Streamline 1930s – 40s Tatras are 3 fold vintage VW values, and attract just too much attention on the road. You really can't take them anywhere :roll:

Sorry – another hijack:x

GKL 7
14 years ago
But John,you don't even care for it's original paint.That precious originallity is dying in front of your very eyes.You can't leave it without some care.Paint has a life you know,you have to give it some conditioning.You've surely heard of it oxidizing.I know from pictures from when i saw the car and after the chrome work is suffering.You don't have to wreck the patina.It's like the hair on your head,don't care for it, it will suffer.
The way you choose to see the car is very different to the way it should be cared for.
C'mon truthfully when did it at least last have a wash,and i don't mean your hair.

No hijack,the original question was answered so we've moved on.:roll:
Rich Oakley
14 years ago

You're just a tease Oakley,darn right cruel:wink:

'50 Karmann wrote:

Both Rob's and my new car were supplied from the same garage in Shropshire. They were a big SAAB garage by all accounts and did VWs as a sideline alomst.
GKL 7
14 years ago

Both Rob's and my new car were supplied from the same garage in Shropshire. They were a big SAAB garage by all accounts and did VWs as a sideline alomst.

Rich Oakley wrote:

Mmmm! think that makes it a worse tease.
Rich Oakley
14 years ago

But John,you don't even care for it's original paint.That precious originallity is dying in front of your very eyes.You can't leave it without some care.Paint has a life you know,you have to give it some conditioning.You've surely heard of it oxidizing.I know from pictures from when i saw the car and after the chrome work is suffering.You don't have to wreck the patina.It's like the hair on your head,don't care for it, it will suffer.
The way you choose to see the car is very different to the way it should be cared for.
C'mon truthfully when did it at least last have a wash,and i don't mean your hair.

No hijack,the original question was answered so we've moved on.:roll:

'50 Karmann wrote:

Each to their own with their cars, but I agree with George, special cars need to be looked after and 'used' a little. Cars like the '49 can be preserved incredibly well with a little care and attention, but leaving it untouched will do it no favours.
John, how about a special treat for us and yourself? Maybe bring the '49 or '47 out to a show this year? I'll pop up and help you out getting them ready if needed.

harveypj
14 years ago

You won't win a single concours using waxoil.

'50 Karmann wrote:

Sorry, fail to agree on this.
My car has not done too bad so far, waxoil and all.
Originality counts for a lot. If you can present your car looking how it would have done back in its early years, avoiding as much repro crap as possible your always in with a chance of some kind of recognition.
My car still has 'Zibart' a tar like undersal protecting the floor pan. It was a dealer applied option back then. I have repainted the inerwings etc and applied a thin layer of clear wayoil. I heat the waxoil can up in a bucket of hot water first to get it realy thin, then spray it on using an empty 'Autoglym' tyre dressing spray bottle.
There are not many totaly acurate full on concours cars in the stock classes at todays shows, Yeh, there are a few but they have to be in it to win it.

Dads beetle (VW).jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Stock......the new custom
Robb
  • Robb
  • Guest Topic Starter
14 years ago
Thanks for your reply Harveypj, so a clear waxoil it is 🙂 seen your car at Stanford 😎

The floorpan was my next question. So I'll be leaving my factory applied underseal on 😎