harveypj
14 years ago
Yeh, don't sacrifice originality for bling.
If you dilute some waxoil down a little with white spirit and spray it over your original underseal (give it a brush of first) it will soften/freshen it up a bit.
You have to retain as much of the cars history as you can.
Mine also has a patch on the heater channel carpet by the drivers foot made from a bit of old door mat or somthing similar, stuck on by one of the original owners 😎 :lol: never been mentioned on any judging sheet. The rest of the carpet is in outstanding condition given its 52 years, judges apreciate this vs new repro.

Looking forward to seeing your car in the spring.

Stock......the new custom
Robb
  • Robb
  • Guest Topic Starter
14 years ago
Cool thanks for the tips. If I can get it finished for the volksworld show I will. See you at stanford if not πŸ™‚
harveypj
14 years ago

The floorpan was my next question. So I'll be leaving my factory applied underseal on 😎

Robb wrote:

If you dilute some waxoil down a little with white spirit and spray it over your original underseal (give it a brush of first) it will soften/freshen it up a bit.
done the trick on mine.

(edited this into reply above after you read it so just incase you missed it)
Robb
  • Robb
  • Guest Topic Starter
14 years ago
yer i did that just after i got the car, looks alot cleaner for it :)

any other points or tips for the show circuit? i hear you need matching set of tyres etc? :d
GKL 7
14 years ago

There are not many totaly acurate full on concours cars in the stock classes at todays shows

harveypj wrote:

That must be why you can get away with the use of Waxoil,come up against a "full on" car and you'll lose it.
One thing you have to bear in mind on the British volkswagen circuit is,if half the cars entered, tried to win against other marques in a multi marque competition they'd probably come in last place.The standard is far below the normal expected level.It's really just Show and Shine,not full on Concours.
It's no good being second best and hoping the other guy doesn't show on the day,deep down inside you'll know.
cupa65
14 years ago

Im currently preparing my 67 bug for the concourse/show and shine scene this year. The deadline is stanford hall. 😎

i want to strip the underseal off the wheelarches, whats the best method?

Understandably once ive stripped the underseal the wheelarches will need repainting, so what is acceptable to the judges? as i am unsure as to what exactly they look for.

Should i spray on a light stonechip then paint? or just paint?

Im hoping to get my car up to the same standard as Roy Wilsons 67 pictured below :d

UserPostedImage

thanks inadvance 😎

Robb wrote:

Looking at the pics of the car, I would leave it as standard and NOT paint it. Where can you buy an original unpainted car? If your car has all the original paint under the arches use something like Swissvax to fill in the chips. This will also stop it from rusting. Also bear in mind that modern paints are totally different to paints used in the 60's. I used Swissvax pre wax oil on my Ruby red car and the paint went from a dull almost powdery look to a much deeper glossy shine. Apparently these older paints need feeding just like wood otherwise they dry out.

Ps car looks fantastic!!
Robb
  • Robb
  • Guest Topic Starter
14 years ago
thanks for the reply, but that isnt my car pictured above, just the standard i'd like to get somewhere close to :)

heres mine...

UserPostedImage

maybe i should have reworded the title to, Stanford Hall Show questions :wink:
cupa65
14 years ago

That must be why you can get away with the use of Waxoil,come up against a "full on" car and you'll lose it.
One thing you have to bear in mind on the British volkswagen circuit is,if half the cars entered, tried to win against other marques in a multi marque competition they'd probably come in last place.The standard is far below the normal expected level.It's really just Show and Shine,not full on Concours.
It's no good being second best and hoping the other guy doesn't show on the day,deep down inside you'll know.

'50 Karmann wrote:

My friend runs a BMW Motorcycle dealership, they do a transparent clear protection wax in an aerosol can. If you spray it on a painted surface you can't really tell apart from the surface goes a little dull. I've used it for years with good results and no corrosion.
GKL 7
14 years ago
I think the expert on this forum regarding concours would be Eric(overrestored)he enters true concours competitions and wins.
May be worth sending him a PM for advice and to see the true expected standards.
harveypj
14 years ago

'50 Karmann wrote:

Exactly.

I seem to have been correct in assuming Robb was only interessed in the VW show events. My car would be laughted of the stage at a show like the annual Autoglym concours.
Who cares? I certainly don't. My car is about as good an example of an original Bug you are likely to come across. It could never compete against a full body of nut/bolt rebuilt car, but for me I'd rather have an unrestored car.

Robb
  • Robb
  • Guest Topic Starter
14 years ago
exactly, i love my unrestored car, and yes i only plan on doing the vw events :)

i will send Eric a pm, thanks 50Karmann 😎
harveypj
14 years ago

any other points or tips for the show circuit? i hear you need matching set of tyres etc? :d

Robb wrote:

Correct, matching set of tyres (correct size including spare) goes part towards the max of 20 points available for wheels/tyres.

The judging sheets consist of 7 sections: paintwork and panels, exterior trim, wheels and tyres, underbody, interior, laggage compartment, engine and engine compartment.

each section has a possible high score of 20 so your marked /140.

In all cased they look for cleanliness, freedom from damage, completeness, correctness and originality.

If you have any accesories they must be of the correct era.

Over the years I've won loads of vw 'concours' events with different cars, I like to add to the history file of the cars I own and qualify their condition. You also get a good car parking space at the show, feel part of it. For me it also allows me to get the best agreed value for my insurance as to claim concours condition you have to be showing it.

Robb
  • Robb
  • Guest Topic Starter
14 years ago
brill! thats just what i needed to know 😎

thanks πŸ™‚
harveypj
14 years ago
Looking at the picture of your car I think you'll be fine 😎 , just got to present it as well as you can. Attention to detail makes all the difference.
One thing I have observed over the years is the wide range of judges, some good (to good:lol: ) some have not got a clue, some have friends if you know what I mean (:wink: )
So just bare in mind , Some times you'll get marked a bit harsh, some times you'll score to high if your honest in your own mind, It aint worth worrying or getting worked up about. Just put a picture and judging sheet in your cars history file and try again the next year.
Standard split
14 years ago

Each to their own with their cars, but I agree with George, special cars need to be looked after and 'used' a little. Cars like the '49 can be preserved incredibly well with a little care and attention, but leaving it untouched will do it no favours.

Rich Oakley wrote:

Split Window VWs with original paint are extremely rare and vanishing fast, with ovals and early rectangular windows close behind.

Messing around with the '49 begins the path of repainting, re chroming and everything else that will put it into the bracket of the many shiny restored cars.

I consider things as rare as the '49 are best left alone. The finish of the '49 has aged over the past 25 years I've owned it, it looks like an undiscovered jewell, and that's how I like it. If I can hold its originality for the next 20 years…

A repaint would actually reduce its value, it would be just another repainted vintage VW of which there will always be a good selection at VW shows, plus numbers will increase as similar cars are found and restored. The paint has marks, flaws, patches and what have you – BUT, much nicer than a repaint which will develop its own flaws anyway. Nothing looks worse than newish paint with bubbles, marks or flakes.

'50 Karmann does have a valid point though, and in fact I have recently cleaned the '49s exterior, brushing all the 20 year's + dust and dirt off with a soft brush then gently wiping it down with a damp rain-water soaked leather, to reveal an astonishing patina that has developed – WOW, what an eye popper :shock:

John, how about a special treat for us and yourself? Maybe bring the '49 or '47 out to a show this year? I'll pop up and help you out getting them ready if needed.

Rich Oakley wrote:

Well, Rich I could never let the '49 onto the public highway. If it gets side-swiped by some fool in a modern buzz-box, repairs would render the '49 no longer all original, and how would I match the 60+ year old well-matured paint. The '47 is rather short of an MOT pass. Rattletrap's my ideal car for shows – he's famous, a less original Beetle, probably on his 3rd set of wings – so no loss should one of them gets bent, its just on with another replacement. Extra miles on Rattletrap will actually increase his value, the reverse effect of that on the '49 :wink:

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
69project
14 years ago

Looking at the picture of your car I think you'll be fine 😎 , just got to present it as well as you can. Attention to detail makes all the difference.
One thing I have observed over the years is the wide range of judges, some good (to good:lol: ) some have not got a clue, some have friends if you know what I mean (:wink: )
So just bare in mind , Some times you'll get marked a bit harsh, some times you'll score to high if your honest in your own mind, It aint worth worrying or getting worked up about. Just put a picture and judging sheet in your cars history file and try again the next year.

harveypj wrote:

thought you may comment on this thread,lol! :d
Car less.....
69project
14 years ago

thanks for the reply, but that isnt my car pictured above, just the standard i'd like to get somewhere close to :)

heres mine...

UserPostedImage

maybe i should have reworded the title to, Stanford Hall Show questions :wink:

Robb wrote:

not much wrong with this car its gorgeous!
Car less.....
Robb
  • Robb
  • Guest Topic Starter
14 years ago
thanks, but wait till you see it now, in its stripped down state :shock:
Rich Oakley
14 years ago

thanks, but wait till you see it now, in its stripped down state :shock:

Robb wrote:

Pics Rob, Pics!!

All credit to you if you're going for the 100-point concours renovation.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
Robb
  • Robb
  • Guest Topic Starter
14 years ago
Hi Rich,

Not 100 point, but a similar standard to PJHarveys bug i guess....i wont be stripping the factory underseal off the pan, just off the wheel arches.

Pics soon, its off to my mate at Trailer Queen Restos in Bude next weekend 😎

We've nicknamed the car teabag at the moment πŸ˜‰ :lol: