Robb
  • Robb
  • Guest Topic Starter
14 years ago
ok, so the shell has been stripped of underseal, amazing the horrors it hides after 80k original miles...

it needs a drivers channel, section of the rear wheel arches (near cross member), a little bit on the rear bumper mounts, corners of the front bulkhead and bits on the front inner wings. πŸ™‚ More then originally thought, isnt that always the case? but im looking forward to getting it all solid again and as VW intended

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

still need to strip the underseal on the front two wheel arches, but have to do it in stages due to a damaged tendon in my hand.
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

and a little bit of fibreglass, nice
UserPostedImage

and at the weekend i dropped it off at my mate Gav's workshop "Trailer Queen Resto" for him to repair all the rot, repaint the inner wings, ready for me to reunite it to its refurbished (not restored) chassis.

Looks alot worse then it is, but it was easier to take the whole shell off the pan. 😎

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

all metalwork will be an invisible repair, so keep watching for updates as they happen.
Rich Oakley
14 years ago
Great post Rob! Please keep us updated.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
Robb
  • Robb
  • Guest Topic Starter
14 years ago
will do 😎

engine and front axle will be detailed next, while the body is being worked on :d
Robb
  • Robb
  • Guest Topic Starter
14 years ago
oh and guess what tax disc shaped object i found in the old documentation ;)

result 😎
54 Gertie
14 years ago
It's done bloody well for 43 years on the road. 😎
William
Robb
  • Robb
  • Guest Topic Starter
14 years ago
certainly has! cant wait to get it back. Definitely more of a renovation then restoration, dont want to lose its originality. 😎
harveypj
14 years ago

It's done bloody well for 43 years on the road. 😎

54 Gertie wrote:

X2 she's a good un 😎
Stock......the new custom
Robb
  • Robb
  • Guest Topic Starter
14 years ago
thanks, your renovation was an inspiration for me 😎
Robb
  • Robb
  • Guest Topic Starter
14 years ago
ok, so while gavs got the body, ive decided to renovate the chassis.... im not going full on, just going to clean and repaint all the suspension at the rear, with a splash of powdercoat here and there.

had a few hours today, to start stripping down.....

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

rather then have a thousand bits lying around, ive decided to concentrate on the back end first, then take the front to bits.
Rich Oakley
14 years ago

oh and guess what tax disc shaped object i found in the old documentation ;)

result 😎

Robb wrote:

Excellent. Is it the same as in mine? (Looks like that car is going to a new owner soon).
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
Robb
  • Robb
  • Guest Topic Starter
14 years ago
yup 😎 even got squared edges 😎

right more work today- back end fully stripped, cleaned up and coat of zinc primer. Chassis black tomorrow. Also dropping some stuff at the powdercoaters, so moving along nicely. Hoping to have it back together by next weekend. 8-)

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
14 years ago
Nice work! Nice to have friends like Gav too!:beer:
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
Robb
  • Robb
  • Guest Topic Starter
14 years ago
thanks 😎

Yer Gav is a great guy, certainly someone to trust 😎
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
14 years ago

thanks 😎

Yer Gav is a great guy, certainly someone to trust 😎

Robb wrote:

I think itΒ΄s safe to say he knows what heΒ΄s doing!
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
cupa65
14 years ago
Techtyl do some very good presevation waxes which once on look factory!  IMG_1848.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Robb
  • Robb
  • Guest Topic Starter
14 years ago
cool thanks :)

bad pic, but it was getting dusky by the time i'd finished....

UserPostedImage

gearbox is cleaned up, and i painted both axles today, all in semi gloss, as per factory......the chassis got its top coats too, going to blend in some underseal tomorrow, then the box can go back in. 8-)

also stripped the engine of all its tinware ready for powdercoating, will probably pull the heads and replace the push rod tubes and seals, as they are a bit weepy.

more tomorrow πŸ™‚
Robb
  • Robb
  • Guest Topic Starter
14 years ago
well the back end is all nearly back together now- pics soon, painted up the starter motor today too 😎

engine is all stripped down to the long block and has been jet washed clean. The tinware is away being powdercoated and ive re-torqued the heads, and set all the valves etc. 😎
beefykeefy
14 years ago

More pics required Robb πŸ˜›

Robb
  • Robb
  • Guest Topic Starter
14 years ago
ok, so the back end is back together, although this was part way through.....

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

its all now done, starting the engine detail this week, then thatll be refitted 😎
Robb
  • Robb
  • Guest Topic Starter
14 years ago
all the holes have been retapped, nuts and bolts cleaned up and copper greased and refitted 😎