Ovaltine
13 years ago

What? I think it's one of the most historically significant VW's around today.

Are you seriously saying that R********p has a more important history (although sadly all lost in its reconstruction, albeit a very good one) than an original hand built prototype that Ferdinand himself ran his hands over?

pre67vw wrote:

I've been an advocate here about the preservation of the VW38, and its importantance in the VW world. All I ever got back in response was sarcasm and horrid remarks.:evil:

However this car was neither preserved or wasted. It has assisted in the reconstruction of a VW38, (a reconstruction NOT a replica, as it appears to use period and nos parts).

When I say actual history, I mean history particular to an individual car. Rattletrap and Bengry's car have their build history of course, though if Tony Levy was correct, Rattletrap's build history is possibly unique, but they also have their own life history, altough I think Rattletraps is the far better known. This VW38 is a recent reconstruction, with no life history. Yes, I do know what I'd take home out of the three - the VW38 BEFORE the reconstruction.

At the end of the day a car, even shabby and rough, with a good long history will always be a greater museum exhibit and collector's piece than even the most meticulous perfect restored car. Such a car is like a perfect but blank book. An example of this is the 1303 Beetle that also sits in the Grundmann collection. This car is not particularly interesting itself, but it has a notable history /ownership though.

All this talk '...Ferdinand himself ran his hands over', Jesus didn't touch the thing, has Porsche become a God? More likely Hitler rode in it! And then there's taking the car into a church. I'm really not sure where the VW scene is going to and if I want to go with it.....:?

The way to end a good day out with your Split is with an Ovaltine!
GKL 7
13 years ago
Off for a spin in 38/6?  Ferdinand-Porsche-in-front-of-a-VW-prototype-1940.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
pre67vw
13 years ago

All I ever got back in response was sarcasm and horrid remarks

Ovaltine wrote:

don't dish it out if you're not prepared to get any back... 😳

All this talk '...Ferdinand himself ran his hands over', Jesus didn't touch the thing, has Porsche become a God? More likely Hitler rode in it!

Ovaltine wrote:

I'm not religious so this remark is lost on me. Porsche is one of the most important people involved in the development of the Beetle, so it's not a leap of faith to realise the significance of Porsche himself coming in contact with the car, looking for improvements that need to be made or the things that he was pleased with? Thats a kind of history that the VW38 was born with, not some kind of made up history that just comes from some guy driving a car a long way. Hitler was of course another significant person in the VW's history, but I doubt he sat in the back of one for anything other than some propaganda, the back of a Benz is much more comfortable.

Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
GKL 7
13 years ago

All this talk'...Ferdinand ran his hands over',Jesus didn't touch the thing, has Porsche become a God? More likely Hitler rode in it! And then there's taking the car into a church. I'm really not sure where the VW scene is going to and if I want to go with it.....:?

Ovaltine wrote:

:lol: How can you Blaspheme and criticise, for taking a car into a church,All in the same statement.
pre67vw
13 years ago
There was once a time a little while ago when every thread on the site ended up talking about R********p, let me tell everyone now - it's NOT going to happen again.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
pre67vw
13 years ago
As this thread has gone totally off topic now, I'm going to lock it. :roll:
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW