RoRoVw
  • RoRoVw
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
13 years ago
In their classic car auction taking place on 6th December, Bonhams have for sale Bill Bengry's 1960 beetle, the one he used to rally. Apparantly still owned by the family and being sold on their behalf. Auction estimate of £10k - £12k. 😮

https://www.bonhams.com/cgi-bin/public.sh/WService=wslive_pub/pubweb/publicSite.r?sContinent=EUR&screen=lotdetailsNoFlash&iSaleItemNo=4822558&iSaleNo=18220&iSaleSectionNo=2 
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
Rich Oakley
13 years ago
Looks like a nice car with a good pedigree!
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
69project
13 years ago
nearly put myself down for bidding but the wife would kill me¬
Car less.....
RoRoVw
  • RoRoVw
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
13 years ago
Sold for £10950 including Buyer's Premium.
Probably indicates that the winning bid was £9500.
Rattletrap
13 years ago
Sold for £9,500 (hammer price); £10,925 with buyer's premium 😮

Thought it would go for more, but then, quote from the catalogue:

"In September 1993 'WVJ 606' was taken to a local restoration expert, Steve Jenkins, who used a donor car to restore it to original specification over the course of the next three years."

Just what is left of WVJ 606 :roll:

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
GKL 7
13 years ago
Familiar sounding story,using a second car.Just can't put my finger on where i've heard it before.
pre67vw
13 years ago

Familiar sounding story,using a second car.Just can't put my finger on where i've heard it before.

'50 Karmann wrote:

don't start... :wink:
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Rattletrap
13 years ago

pre67vw wrote:

No George, you'll only upset Ovaltine:lol:

Anyway, which one is me in 'the gang of three':?:
 The League Ovaltineys.png You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
GKL 7
13 years ago

pre67vw wrote:

:lol: :lol:
Just an observation boss.Glass houses and all that.
Rattletrap
13 years ago

:lol: :lol:
…Glass houses and all that.

'50 Karmann wrote:

I'm really trying to be good, why do I bother posting info here :roll:

54 Gertie
13 years ago

Just what is left of WVJ 606 :roll:

Rattletrap wrote:

A f**k sight more than's left of R********p. :wink:
William
Ovaltine
13 years ago
And sure enough we see the same old nonsense posted here again…:roll:

A f**k sight more than's left of R********p. :wink:

54 Gertie wrote:

'50 Karmann wrote:

FFS we have here two vintage bugs that have real museum appeal and value because they both have an interesting proven HISTORY - Rattletrap and Bill Bengry's rally Beetle. Both have been saved with major rebuilds because they're worth it as part of the UK's motoring heritage. I doubt that anyone else here has a car that is truly an 'Historic Vehicle', the name that the DVLA uses to class any old car merely because its old, but infact is not actually historic at all.

The way to end a good day out with your Split is with an Ovaltine!
Rattletrap
13 years ago
UserPostedImage
GKL 7
13 years ago

And sure enough we see the same old nonsense posted here again…:roll:

FFS we have here two vintage bugs that have real museum appeal and value because they both have an interesting proven HISTORY - Rattletrap and Bill Bengry's rally Beetle. Both have been saved with major rebuilds because they're worth it as part of the UK's motoring heritage. I doubt that anyone else here has a car that is truly an 'Historic Vehicle', the name that the DVLA uses to class any old car merely because its old, but infact is not actually historic at all.

Ovaltine wrote:

Hold on,but you slated the Grundmanns for the work they were doing on 38/6 :?
WayneMcCarthy
13 years ago
I Just Love This Forum .....................
"Mr Stock"
pre67vw
13 years ago

Lot Notice
Please note that Steve Jenkins restored the car to its original condition during 1993 – 1996 utilising the original shell, not a donor shell as catalogued.

Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Rattletrap
13 years ago

Lot Notice
Please note that Steve Jenkins restored the car to its original condition during 1993 – 1996 utilising the original shell, not a donor shell as catalogued.

pre67vw wrote:

Blimey, Steve Jenkins' car really does have a lot in common with Rattletrap :wink:

Ovaltine
13 years ago

Hold on,but you slated the Grundmanns for the work they were doing on 38/6 :?

'50 Karmann wrote:

That was the remains of a car that gave us a glimpse and a link into the Beetle's birth. So incomplete it was more an interesting artifact than a car. It had no actual history in its own right. This precious link to the early days of the Beetle has now been lost into a reconstruction, (albeit a very good one).

This is completely different thing to the two cars mentioned on this thread that are hugely more complete, have all their history, numbers and documentation. Rattletrap was badly damaged in a smash, I don't know the situation why Bill Bengrys car was rebuilt so much. Does anyone here know why:?:
The way to end a good day out with your Split is with an Ovaltine!
pre67vw
13 years ago

It had no actual history in its own right.

Ovaltine wrote:

What? I think it's one of the most historically significant VW's around today.

Are you seriously saying that R********p has a more important history (although sadly all lost in its reconstruction, albeit a very good one) than an original hand built prototype that Ferdinand himself ran his hands over?
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Rattletrap
13 years ago

Are you seriously saying that R********p has a more important history (although sadly all lost in its reconstruction, albeit a very good one) than an original hand built prototype that Ferdinand himself ran his hands over?

pre67vw wrote:

He has to me:lol:

Wouldn't turn the VW38 down though 😛