RoRoVw
  • RoRoVw
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
12 years ago
Take a look at this 1957 Oval being offered for sale by Silverstone Auctions next Saturday.
Rather over estimated guide price I think!!

https://www.silverstoneauctions.com/1957-volkswagen-deluxe-beetle 
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
pre67vw
12 years ago

could be driven away from the auction.

Would hope so for £20k :d
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
12 years ago
Saw a artical in an old classic and sports car were a Split camper went for 55K yes £55.000. The worlds gone mad :omg: Andy
2splits
12 years ago

Saw a artical in an old classic and sports car were a Split camper went for 55K yes £55.000. The worlds gone mad :omg: Andy

AW wrote:

Thats nothing...

https://www.insideline.com/volkswagen/1963-volkswagen-bus-commands-217800-at-auction.html 

Kevin

-51 Split Rag
-58 Ghia Cab with Okrasa
-57 356
pre67vw
12 years ago

But it is a '63...

What I find crazy is that it was sold at auction, so not just one person with too much money- but TWO people bidding against each other!!
:cry:

Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
GKL 7
12 years ago

Take a look at this 1957 Oval being offered for sale by Silverstone Auctions next Saturday.
Rather over estimated guide price I think!!

RoRoVw wrote:

Ovals just ain't right with contrasting side panels[-x
Piet
  • Piet
  • pre67vw Junkie
12 years ago

Ovals just ain't right with contrasting side panels[-x

GKL 7 wrote:

+1 George, it makes them look amateuristic.
Proost! Peter.
1954 Oval L275 (in progressive refinement)
64rotbox
12 years ago
"I'm Greg Evigan, and welcome to another in the series 'When Accessories Attack'. I made this, etc."

Eech.
You can call me Al.
RoRoVw
  • RoRoVw
12 years ago
Sold for £17500!! No doubt that will be plus the buyers' premium which means that the purchaser will have paid out just over £20k.

HISTORICAL NOTE
I bought this oval from the family of the original owner in (I think) 1981. It was in excellent stock condition at that time, apart from having later indicators fitted, and I paid £850. Those were the days!
Rich Oakley
12 years ago

Sold for £17500!! No doubt that will be plus the buyers' premium which means that the purchaser will have paid out just over £20k.

HISTORICAL NOTE
I bought this oval from the family of the original owner in (I think) 1981. It was in excellent stock condition at that time, apart from having later indicators fitted, and I paid £850. Those were the days!

RoRoVw wrote:

Wow! That's a lot of money for an Oval (£20k!).

Having said that, £850 in 1981 for an Oval was probably equally as expensive!!
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
RoRoVw
  • RoRoVw
12 years ago
Yes it probably was - but it was a good one.
The year after I paid £550 for a 1967 Canterbury Pitt split screen camper and in 1985 paid £750 for a fantastic 1967 split screen Devon Caravette which was one of the best around at the time. Look how things have turned around now. It's usually the campers that sell for the big money - ovals have been much cheaper. Maybe ovals are now being appreciated more and the values on the increase?

m_Blackov1.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
12 years ago
I can remember going to an importer of rare and exotic parts when i had my split bug and looking at some of the split screen vans and campers he had in stock i asked what he was asking for the type 2s and the prices were unbelivable :omg: . In years gone i had scrapped alot better than what was on offer in the yard. If one could go back in time. Andy
Rich Oakley
12 years ago
Great photo Rob. That looks like a lovely car. If only we could find them like that nowadays...

Did you buy it from lovely Wolverhampton?
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
RoRoVw
  • RoRoVw
12 years ago
I bought it from the daughter of the original owner and she was in Solihull.
Rich Oakley
12 years ago

I bought it from the daughter of the original owner and she was in Solihull.

RoRoVw wrote:

Ahhh. Much more up-market.
RoRoVw
  • RoRoVw
12 years ago

Wow! That's a lot of money for an Oval (£20k!).

Having said that, £850 in 1981 for an Oval was probably equally as expensive!!

Rich Oakley wrote:

Rich, I've been thinking about 'how expensive' the oval might have been in 1981 and I've decided that it wasn't the equivalent of £20k. I don't think I would ever have contemplated spending the equivalent of that much money on a beetle at the time.

Shortly after I bought the oval for £850 I sold my first house (a two bedroomed semi detached bungalow actually) for £17k. These bungalows currently sell for about £170k, so ten times its value in 1981. Using the same multiplier the equivalent value of the oval now would be £8500. However, because the housing market is depressed and the market for vintage Volkswagens seems to be on the up, then the £8.5k could probably be pushed up to more like £10k.

I feel that £10k is more like the present day equivalent of the £850.

Mike Peckham
12 years ago
I was buying Ovals in the early 80's but my budget was far more limited, I rarely paid more than £100 for a roadworthy car with an MOT. Good examples were selling for £350 - £450 the really top condition cars were going for £750 - £850.

In 1981 I was earning £40 per week as an apprentice electrician and my take home pay was £33.78. When I qualified in 1984 my basic pay shot up to £90 p/w and I traded in my 55 Oval (that I had been thrashing up and down the M1 to London from Bedford every day laden with reels of cable) against a 1973 1300 Beetle in Gemini Blue with GT Wheels and a Formula Vee Steering Wheel.

The 1300 cost £950, I got £250 trade in for the Oval but felt I had done well as it had cost just £50 in 1980!

Mike

July 1957 UK supplied RHD Oval. 1972 World Champion Beetle. 1978 UK supplied RHD 1303LS Cabriolet. 1973 UK supplied RHD 1303s.
RoRoVw
  • RoRoVw
12 years ago
That all sounds very familiar!
I bought my first oval in 1979 for £250. A 1955, RHD, with MoT, 34bhp engine, solid pan and body but painted several different shades of Rover Bordeaux Red.