ascort
12 years ago

Bugger! Well at least it sounds like you're OK, you could have bashed your head or something... a bit of fibreglass and steel to re-fix isn't the end of the world, however annoying it might be now... :beer:

pre67vw wrote:

The deck lid was sitting on its metal hinges at the front and fibreglass rear edge at the back. To a slight extent it did the progressive crumple act and softened the fall very well. Not sure if that is a good thing or not.:cry:

It is all repairable with a little time and effort, but a shame to do it to a good panel. I have been thinking that the damage would probably have been worse and harder to repair if it had been a steel panel off a ghia. :unsure: (they are very similar in shape).
Mark - Owner of 2 under restoration Australian coachbuilt Ascorts.
AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
12 years ago
Put the new silancer on today. Had a look at the carb (Think i need a nother one:thumbdn: ) some one has melted white metal in to the air correction jet !!!!!!!!!! Hope fuly picing up a replacemnt up tomorrow after work:thumbup:

Andy W
Rich Oakley
12 years ago
I have had so little time to spend on the cabrio since I bought it, so at the weekend, I decided to spend some time getting it closer to being roadworthy.

At some point, the cylinder heads had inserts fitted for the spark plugs and the threads weren't looking too good, so I took the heads off and re-tapped the threads. Engine back together and fitted to the car with NOS exhaust, NOS carb, NOS heater boxes etc...
UserPostedImage

As the car has been off the road for 34 years, hardly any of the electrics were working, so I spent a few hours getting everything to work...
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

I managed to break a speedo bulb holder 😞 Anybody got a spare they can sell me (screw terminal type)?
UserPostedImage

I fitted a new master cylinder but for the life of me, I cannot get the system 'primed' and so no fluid will pump through the system. Any tips or suggestions??

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
Robb
12 years ago
i managed to fit one of my rear side windows on me own......oh and put a few more re-polished bits of hardware back on the engine.

Rich,

i always put the master cylinder in a vice, and pour some fluid in the top, while i push the plunger in & out , to get the fluid squirting out the holes, so i know theres no air locks. then bolt it onto the car and pump the hell out of it while bleeding.that should work :thumbup:
ianmac
12 years ago

I fitted a new master cylinder but for the life of me, I cannot get the system 'primed' and so no fluid will pump through the system. Any tips or suggestions??

Rich Oakley wrote:

Tips or suggestions... yes sell the car to me:d no seriously get yourself an eezibleed kit https://www.gunson.co.uk/item.aspx?item=1818  I think it makes things easy :thumbup:
pre67vw
12 years ago

I fitted a new master cylinder but for the life of me, I cannot get the system 'primed' and so no fluid will pump through the system. Any tips or

Rich Oakley wrote:

I had a pain with mine, seems that when it's full of air it just compresses the air and doesn't push the fluid down the pipes. I initially thought I must have missed something but an easy bleed kit and pumping like mad finally got it going.

Car is looking sweet Rich! :thumbup:
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
69project
12 years ago

I have had so little time to spend on the cabrio since I bought it, so at the weekend, I decided to spend some time getting it closer to being roadworthy.

At some point, the cylinder heads had inserts fitted for the spark plugs and the threads weren't looking too good, so I took the heads off and re-tapped the threads. Engine back together and fitted to the car with NOS exhaust, NOS carb, NOS heater boxes etc...
UserPostedImage

As the car has been off the road for 34 years, hardly any of the electrics were working, so I spent a few hours getting everything to work...
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

I managed to break a speedo bulb holder 😞 Anybody got a spare they can sell me (screw terminal type)?
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Rich Oakley wrote:

stunning

Car less.....
Rich Oakley
12 years ago

I had a pain with mine, seems that when it's full of air it just compresses the air and doesn't push the fluid down the pipes. I initially thought I must have missed something but an easy bleed kit and pumping like mad finally got it going.

Car is looking sweet Rich! :thumbup:

pre67vw wrote:

Cheers Ian and Rob. However, I have an Easy Bleed kit, but you can't use it on cars with the pre-61 rubber top reservoirs.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
Robb
12 years ago
never had any success with those ez-bleed kits.

whip the master cylinder off the car and bench bleed it. then just bleed it the old fashion method, bet that'll work :wink:
Rich Oakley
12 years ago

whip the master cylinder off the car and bench bleed it. then just bleed it the old fashion method, bet that'll work :wink:

Robb wrote:

Cheers Rob. The EZ bleed has always worked for me on later cars. Will try your method.
pre67vw
12 years ago

Cheers Ian and Rob. However, I have an Easy Bleed kit, but you can't use it on cars with the pre-61 rubber top reservoirs.

Rich Oakley wrote:

The easy bleed thing I used went on the wheel cylinders, it didn't have anything to do with the reservoir, just a one way valve on the end of some rubber pipe.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
12 years ago
One of the best ways is to back pressure the system. You undo the blead nipple and pump the fluid in under pressure from the nipple to the master cylinder. Just keep an eye that the fluid dose not spray out of the reservoir. thats the way its done on the production lines (or it used to:thumbup: )

Andy W
Rich Oakley
12 years ago

Robb wrote:

Rob- did that this evening and they bled just fine- thanks for the tip. I have one dodgy flexi that I need to replace and then the brakes should all be sorted.
AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
12 years ago
Fitted the carb i picked up on Sunday :d

Andy w
Lost64
12 years ago
Due to a spell of unseasonably good weather, I got the '57 outside, and have removed the underseal from both rear inner wings. The method I used was to soften it with a heat gun, scrape the top layer off with an old wallpaper scraper and blunt chisel. While it was still warm, I sprayed on some white spirit then watched the residue dissolve. A wipe with a rag, and the panel was clean. Not the nicest of jobs, but well worth the effort, and far quicker than I'd hoped.

I'm delighted to see that there is a great deal more shiny painted metal than I'd expected, and very little in the way of rust.

Now to tackle the fronts......,
Robb
12 years ago

Rob- did that this evening and they bled just fine- thanks for the tip. I have one dodgy flexi that I need to replace and then the brakes should all be sorted.

Rich Oakley wrote:

good stuff Rich, glad you got it sorted :thumbup:
Old Blue
12 years ago
I'll be knocking the dent out of the bottom of the '56 oval's spare wheel well tomorrow. Still Jon says that it is 'cool' and 'looks the business lowered'.

Its probably a good idea then to avoid stripped road surfaces with the resultant raised man hole covers, prior to the new surface going on.:x

1956 VW Beetle, 1962 Morris Minor, 1968 VW Beetle (Old Blue), 1972 Morris Mini, 2005 MGTF

Blue, blue, Electric Blue, that's the colour of Old Blue!
AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
12 years ago
Fitted the two quarter light catches and played with the drop glass.:wink:

Andy W
Robb
12 years ago
fitted the other pass side rear window/rubber, and then took some photos of the new plates and tyres :thumbup:

UserPostedImage
Chris
12 years ago
Chased up an order for some heater channels :d
A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day.