Old Blue
12 years ago

Has it been lowered yet? If it has, the bearings are probably running dry and you might be doing bearing changes on a regular basis... :wink:

Mike

Mike Peckham wrote:

It has, and I very much expect that you're right 😞

You can't put old heads on young shoulders I'm afraid.
1956 VW Beetle, 1962 Morris Minor, 1968 VW Beetle (Old Blue), 1972 Morris Mini, 2005 MGTF

Blue, blue, Electric Blue, that's the colour of Old Blue!
Old Blue
12 years ago
Yes, sure enough the n/s/r wheel bearing just about shot with evidence of crumbling. Starved of oil by the extreme negative camber, and not helped much by there not being a full quota of oil available due to Jon's lack of attention to it. Doing the o/s/r tommorrow, though the wheel does not seem as ready to fall of as the other seemed with its huge amount of play.

The moral is do not lower your Beetle:thumbdn:
1956 VW Beetle, 1962 Morris Minor, 1968 VW Beetle (Old Blue), 1972 Morris Mini, 2005 MGTF

AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
12 years ago
Some more little bits came today :thumbup: Going to try and get some work done on the 59 now up to Christmas eve A full week to play with her :rofl: :rofl:

Andy W
AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
12 years ago
Re Topped up the transaxle but its toooooo cold (The leak seams to have stopped)

Andy W
Old Blue
12 years ago
Yesterday, repairing the bonnet release cable on Jon's '56.

Since receiving the bang at the bottom of the spare wheel area from a raised manhole cover, the bonnet has not been as easy to close with the spare in. Another annoyance with this lowered car is getting my trolley jack under the front to lift the car.

Rich Oakley
12 years ago

Today I decided to take the old engine out of the Ascort, which was a stock 36hp which I had stored in the engine bay of the car for convenience. (Yesterday I took delivery of another 36hp as well. One of these will become my Okrasa replica).

I removed the engine deck lid and placed it on the shed floor in a safe spot well away from where I was working. I then removed the engine and stored it away at the front of the shed. I then walked back through the shed, and when turning I fell ..... I have no idea on what or why ..... I landed hip first with full body weight onto the deck lid :omg: :omg:

:cry: The fibreglass is split, both hinges and mounting brackets are bent up and a steel brace is bent.:cry:

Some days you should just not get out of bed. :thumbdn: More work to do on a panel which I had completed work on. 😶

ascort wrote:

Bad luck there. Hopefully you will be able to get it fixed ok.

47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
ascort
12 years ago

Bad luck there. Hopefully you will be able to get it fixed ok.

Rich Oakley wrote:

The steel bits are mostly straightened, but need some finishing off work and the panel now fits again. I still have to fix the split fibreglass, but that is not too difficult.

If this had been an alloy body I think that the outcome would have been far more stressful.
Mark - Owner of 2 under restoration Australian coachbuilt Ascorts.
AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
12 years ago
I went in to the workshop as well wished the Bug a happy New Year and made a small repair pannel for her.

Andy W
GKL 7
12 years ago
:thumbup:  resource.png You have insufficient rights to see the content.
AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
12 years ago
Welded the small repare pannel and preped it with self etch primer

Andy W
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
12 years ago
Went to (jump) start it after a long layoff, only to have it puke about two litres of oil all over the floor. So a really heartwarming start to the year then.:x

That motor is getting swapped out for one that actually works in the near future.
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
rudolf hucker
12 years ago
Fitted a wireless to the split bus and replaced a leaking front wheel cylinder on the Beetle.............now it refuses to start!!
Tomorrows job is to replace the ignition switch and door tumblers on the 356.

Its great being retired.......I can now relax more....Ha!
AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
12 years ago
Skimmed filled the pannel and flatted back ready for paint

Andy W
Rattletrap
12 years ago
'Ad a butcher's at the '49 for the first time in months…:unsure: …always worried about the dreaded mice invading parked-up cars, but then my cat lurks around my collection, worth his weight in gold:beer:
Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
12 years ago
More skimming and flatting URRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

Andy W

Robb
12 years ago
took the tank out the 67 ready for a repaint, and made a mental list of jobs to do :lol:
Rattletrap
12 years ago
Checked two of my splits Saturday after the storms last week ripped-up two 6ft fence panels and hurled them under the car port, into both 349 GMO and recently moved Rattletrap, just missing my '51 Standard.

349 GMO, (Bob Shaill's KdF 82E build), escaped with no damage. Rattletrap has acquired another dent, in his n/s front wing to add to his other battle scars.:(

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
rudolf hucker
12 years ago
It does not sound like the cars are stored in very safe conditions. I don't think that I would have left it for so long before checking on them.
Shame about the damage, hopefully it can be repaired without damaging the originality:wink:
Rattletrap
12 years ago

It does not sound like the cars are stored in very safe conditions. I don't think that I would have left it for so long before checking on them.
Shame about the damage, hopefully it can be repaired without damaging the originality:wink:

rudolf hucker wrote:

Checked only a couple of days later at first opportunity.

Rattletrap was the only car to take a dent, just another battle scar added, the fence panel hitting him is nothing to the 20 ton MAC truck that did. You are of course joking about originality….:rofl:
ascort
12 years ago
Contacted the transport company that is to bring my recently purchased Ascort from West Australia. The car is now loaded on a car trailer ready to be towed to the transport co. Hopefully it may be home in another week or so. :d

Organised for more 5mm stainless steel to be profile cut to make a rear emblem for the new Ascort. I had several cut previously and made an emblem for my current car .... but gave all my spares to other Ascort owners. Now I have to be pay for more. :cry: One of these days I will learn not to give away so many things for free.
(There are pics of the previous emblem in the Other Coachbuilt section in posts greater than 6 months old)

Checked on the front emblems that are being cast in stainless steel from my hand crafted replica. They are still weeks away as the company doing the work is setting up new plant in a new workshop.

Down to the local machine shop to pick up some brass to make new fittings for the fuel tank repairs.

Home for lunch to find that my instruments are back from restoration. These include a 100mph trip speedo, low light ghia tacho, motometer 3 in one, and VDO oil gauge. (The other gauges are a Smiths vac and a Motometer 60mm clock. These were not restored) The restored gauges look pretty good with new face on the motometer etc, but the restorer (who is supposed to be one of the best here) has put non standard needle on tacho and coloured the VDO oil gauge needle red. :omg: Not happy about that. :thumbdn:

All this squeezed into a standard work day. A rather Ascort sort of day. :thumbup:
Mark - Owner of 2 under restoration Australian coachbuilt Ascorts.