GKL 7
12 years ago

Its not that you are not entitled to a differing opinion on Tony's car, after all this is a discussion forum. Its just the way you keep repeatedly voicing it here. Some people just want to destroy a great VW story, yet come on here as VW enthusiasts. :?

Old Blue wrote:

I think you're the person guilty of bringing up the subject again and again,despite having been asked by a moderator to leave the subject alone.I think his word was "Enough".
For "Some people" as you put it,the idea is not to destroy a great VW story.It's just for the TRUTH to be told.
What you choose to believe as a gullible excited schoolboy, doesn't qualify as fact.
merchantrader
12 years ago
I have kept quiet so far as per the moderators wishes however

Depending on the exact number of active users shown on this site, I have noticed that on some days in the last week 25% believe 10BXK to be a legend, so why not let them discuss or mention the car. The forum has gone very quiet of late when 10BXK is off the agenda and some of us find it good fun.

I accept to purists it is important as to the date of manufacture but it looks like this is never going to be resolved so maybe ban this aspect of discussion. To others, like me, the VW car with the reg 10BXK is a legend for the shear amount of motoring it has done (I do not think there is any dispute that it is high mileage), mainly in the hands of one man.It does not matter to me and others how many replacement bits it has had or the extent of those replacements; to others it does and I accept their view and only look for the same in return.

Much revolves around Tony Levy, a man who is not now with us to defend or comment; I appear to be the only person on this forum who actually knew him as opposed to "met him" or "spoke to him" and the one thing I will say is whatever the age of the car if and I mean if Tony made it out to be older than it was, then £ had nothing to do with it.
lifeintheslowlane
12 years ago
To nobody in particular.

This, as a dedicated vintage VW forum deals in facts. It dishes out, technical and historical facts relating to the cars we own. If a technical or historical fact is judged to be a misrepresentation here it is challenged...if not here, where?

The Internet has lately become the "font of all knowledge" but use that assumption with care as the vast majority of that information is unratified and often written to push a personal agenda. Sadly, some think "a version," if repeated often enough will become "a truth."

If anyone thinks the tabloid journalist adage "don't let facts get in the way of a good story" has a place here, there are enough people here to tell you otherwise.

Opinion is welcome...as long as it's backed-up with fact.
John.
59 Ragtop
12 years ago

On a less serious note, my dad has an early copy of safer motoring where he said that when he got bored with owning said mentioned 53(sorry couldnt resist!), he'd turn it into a coffee table... Made me chuckle...
merchantrader
12 years ago

On a less serious note, my dad has an early copy of safer motoring where he said that when he got bored with owning said mentioned 53(sorry couldnt resist!), he'd turn it into a coffee table... Made me chuckle...

59 Ragtop wrote:

Fun! Excellent!
Rich Oakley
12 years ago

I accept to purists it is important as to the date of manufacture but it looks like this is never going to be resolved so maybe ban this aspect of discussion.

merchantrader wrote:

The car started life as a '53. There is no doubt about that, hence we have a resolution. Tony always used to refer to the car as his '1953 model' back in the early 1960s. There was never any mention of it being an 'experimental' prototype until a good few years after that. Like yourself, I am sure Tony's motives were not in any way profit-related, but he did change his story- fact.

To others, like me, the VW car with the reg 10BXK is a legend for the shear amount of motoring it has done (I do not think there is any dispute that it is high mileage), mainly in the hands of one man.It does not matter to me and others how many replacement bits it has had or the extent of those replacements; to others it does and I accept their view and only look for the same in return.

merchantrader wrote:

It is a legendary car, no doubt about it and I admire Tony for sticking with it and clocking-up so many miles. It's a great story. We all know that very little of the original car survives, but that's all just part of the interesting story.

I just wish certain people would stop perpetuating this myth that the car is some sort of 1950 prototype, when even by Tony's own (original) admission, it clearly isn't!
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
pre67vw
12 years ago
Looks like a good place to end this one!

:beer:
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW