Old Blue
12 years ago

Quack Quack Oopps!!

WRONG.:thumbdn:

GKL 7 wrote:

You're singing from a different song sheet. I doubt you were born when I first saw Rattletrap. Merchantrader it seems has more detailed memories of 10BXK from even earlier. In all the years I've known the car I have not seen any notable change in its appearance. As I said earlier, the ancient paper cutting shows Rattletrap with the rear window deluxe trim as the later oval dashed split-windows. Looks as though it has the plain thicker bumpers also.
1956 VW Beetle, 1962 Morris Minor, 1968 VW Beetle (Old Blue), 1972 Morris Mini, 2005 MGTF

Blue, blue, Electric Blue, that's the colour of Old Blue!
pre67vw
12 years ago
if this is heading for another RT thread, it's going to get locked - there's more than enough been said about that car already thanks.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
GKL 7
12 years ago

I doubt you were born when I first saw Rattletrap.

Old Blue wrote:

27.0*.58

You tell me.

So the car was 5 years old when i was born. FACT..

We've been thru' all this before you made an appearence so like Rob said,enough.

rudolf hucker
12 years ago
Ah! but which one has worn better? Both are legends of course.

Love Rudy
GKL 7
12 years ago

Ah! but which one has worn better? Both are legends of course.

Love Rudy

rudolf hucker wrote:

Rudy
I haven't had the luxury of being rebuilt twice,once with half a new body.So on originality....
i take the title:wink:
queenslander
12 years ago

Her early career was a shot putter...before the sex-change:

UserPostedImage

lifeintheslowlane wrote:

Now now boys, be nice,![-x
queenslander
12 years ago

Rudy
I haven't had the luxury of being rebuilt twice,once with half a new body.So on originality....
i take the title:wink:

GKL 7 wrote:

Just out of curiosity, what do you own?:?
GKL 7
12 years ago
Last Triumph
12 years ago

'57,Why?

GKL 7 wrote:

I right old shitter if ever there was one!

:rofl:

How is the old girl, my friend?
I can supply...
25/36hp Crank-Flywheel shims - 3 sizes
NOS king pin thrust & fibre washers - all sizes
Cloth braided nitrile fuel hose safe for modern fuels
PM me for details...
GKL 7
12 years ago

I right old shitter if ever there was one!

Last Triumph wrote:

Yeah! I blame the previous owner:wink:

She's doing OK Andy,suffering from lack of excercise at the moment tho'.I was going to post in the "what have you done to your car" thread.But you pretty much covered that,so i'll just have to wait until Spring to have a drive.

Have you dropped that V8 into anything yet?

Piet
  • Piet
  • pre67vw Junkie
12 years ago
Yeah George, great thread of Andy, still use it as a reference today!
Proost! Peter.
1954 Oval L275 (in progressive refinement)
Old Blue
12 years ago

'57,Why?

GKL 7 wrote:

Maybe he wonders about your credibility.

You are able to go out and buy a really decent Beetle that someone else has put all their effort into bringing it up to scratch to put straight into your garage. Last Triumph's thread on his project is absolutely commendable I must add, and you have a superb car now.

Now I've no problem with armchair enthusiasts, but you shouldn't come on here and criticise others. You seem to think that you know more about 10BXK than myself, a car that my father and I knew of since 50 years ago, when you would have been 4 years old!

Your views and preduces on the subject are well posted around here it seems. Please give it a rest.:thumbdn:
1956 VW Beetle, 1962 Morris Minor, 1968 VW Beetle (Old Blue), 1972 Morris Mini, 2005 MGTF

Old Blue
12 years ago

I know a few Jewish Americans who own Beetles. One whom a lot of you will know; Glenn Ring has owned his 74 Beetle from new and says he would have little trouble owning an early post-war Beetle but wouldn't have a WWII one. It's all a very personal thing.

lifeintheslowlane wrote:

Tony Levey was Jewish - that didn't stop his love for that little German car.

Regarding the shortening of nationality names mentioned earlier, it really is a no-no. We all know how wrong it is to abbreviate Pakistani for example.

GKL 7
12 years ago

Maybe he wonders about your credibility.

You are able to go out and buy a really decent Beetle that someone else has put all their effort into bringing it up to scratch to put straight into your garage. Last Triumph's thread on his project is absolutely commendable I must add, and you have a superb car now.

Now I've no problem with armchair enthusiasts, but you shouldn't come on here and criticise others. You seem to think that you know more about 10BXK than myself, a car that my father and I knew of since 50 years ago, when you would have been 4 years old!

Your views and preduces on the subject are well posted around here it seems. Please give it a rest.:thumbdn:

Old Blue wrote:

For someone who has no idea of my background in this hobby,you seem pretty quick to express what you think maybe the case.
Try looking at what i have owned rather than what i do now.
For example that nice grey '47 you expressed a wish to own.I imported that to these shores.And great fun i had with it to.People move on,i wish you would.
The car i show preduces for is a 1953 Oval dash split,a zwitter, as it is commonly known.
Volkswagen themselves have no record of any cars being produced in 1950 on this design as a prototype.So their word is good enough for me.
Until documentary evidence is produced, in my eyes the car will never be a '50.
And while someone like yourself argues that it is,i will be here to argue that it isn't.
I have nothing against R.T it's story could have been interesting regardless.
It's just that the real truth over it's production date would have made the rest of the story of it's history a little more believable
rudolf hucker
12 years ago
I knew Tony quite well back in the day. He was a nice chap and helped me on a number of occasions. Almost everyone in the small (old) VW world knew that he was a little confused about his cars age. Back then of course we did not have the luxury of the internet to destroy people. We just laughed it off as 'Oh well, thats just Tony being Tony'.
GKL 7
12 years ago

I knew Tony quite well back in the day. He was a nice chap and helped me on a number of occasions. Almost everyone in the small (old) VW world knew that he was a little confused about his cars age. Back then of course we did not have the luxury of the internet to destroy people. We just laughed it off as 'Oh well, thats just Tony being Tony'.

rudolf hucker wrote:

I can go along with that Rudy.
I met and spoke to Tony.Seemed a nice chap.
Maybe he was "confused" over the cars production date.
What is everyone else,that comes on here insisting it's a '50,using as the reason for getting it wrong.
They just throw the word Hater at anyone who tries to point out the facts.

Last Triumph
12 years ago

Yeah! I blame the previous owner:wink:

She's doing OK Andy,suffering from lack of excercise at the moment tho'.I was going to post in the "what have you done to your car" thread.But you pretty much covered that,so i'll just have to wait until Spring to have a drive.

Have you dropped that V8 into anything yet?

GKL 7 wrote:

I know she's in the best of hands.

No progress on the V8 yet - few other family issues on my plate at the moment keeping me watching from the touchline.

The love's still there though.

Be happy my friend.
I can supply...
25/36hp Crank-Flywheel shims - 3 sizes
NOS king pin thrust & fibre washers - all sizes
Cloth braided nitrile fuel hose safe for modern fuels
PM me for details...
Old Blue
12 years ago

I can go along with that Rudy.
I met and spoke to Tony.Seemed a nice chap.
Maybe he was "confused" over the cars production date.
What is everyone else,that comes on here insisting it's a '50,using as the reason for getting it wrong.
They just throw the word Hater at anyone who tries to point out the facts.

GKL 7 wrote:

Its not that you are not entitled to a differing opinion on Tony's car, after all this is a discussion forum. Its just the way you keep repeatedly voicing it here. Some people just want to destroy a great VW story, yet come on here as VW enthusiasts. :?

Old Blue
12 years ago

rudolf hucker wrote:

He was a decent guy for sure. I'll always remember him as the man who took time out to show me, an excited schoolboy around his car all those years ago.

The story of the Jewish guy that loved his 'Hitler's People's Car' so much that he eventually made it into a legend, is something I'm sure that an author will eventually pick up on. It would make an interesting book. I really don't think that Mr or Ms person in the street would care that 10 BXK/Rattletrap has detailed differences to other 1950 Beetles, its black with a split rear window, so its really old as far as they're concerned, looks no different than the VW38 to them.

rudolf hucker
12 years ago
The current owners persistance in furthering the RT nonsense is what annoys the (better informed) enthusiasts of today.