Poll Question: Should pre'67 include post '67 and modified cars? (Poll is closed)

Total: 34

pre67vw
11 years ago

im a member of the Rebel Alliance.

Robb wrote:

these aren't the dubs you're looking for...

Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Cool Splitty
11 years ago
My vote yes for all org aircooled vbdubs which is kool cause that can includ up too 2004 org bugs n attract lots mor Vdub owners:thumbup:
Cool Splitty. Reel Kool and called Peter.
Cool Splitty
11 years ago

All the restored VWs together, regardless of year.

JD wrote:

Why do they hav to b restored. Org paint patina barn finds are most intresting
Why dose vintage have to meen pre67 when sum say vintage is pre1960 wiv small windows and b4.Any air cooled bug is vintage i think
lifeintheslowlane
11 years ago

So in your opinion, it's better to have a quiet forum about stock than a busy forum that includes modified?

pre67vw wrote:

I knew you were going to say that.:smile:

For the two forums I mod on The Samba the mix works very well. The Ghia Forum has a good bunch and nobody seems to tread on anyone's toes...probably takes less intervention to keep the house in order than it does here. It's just the people are used to the Stock only attitude here and there might be more friction generated by opening to all-comers.

I'd just hope it wouldn't attract a whole bunch of back-slappers and post whores that you get in other UK based VW websites. Nice one dude!

Just another idea is how about using the Samba idea of a "Reader's Rides"  section open to all aircooled VWs. That generates a lot of visitors to The Samba who more often than not don't cross over into the "Technical Forums." Have a look at the Sticky "VW abortions, homemade bastards, post em....."...more than 4 million views.
John.
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
11 years ago

Why do they hav to b restored. Org paint patina barn finds are most intresting

Cool Splitty wrote:

They don´t have to be restored. I should have said stock.
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
barnjunkie
11 years ago
I like modified early vw's but it's nice to have stock shows
And clubs stick to pre67
six-o-one
11 years ago
Rob, I recon you should base your forum on whatever interests you.
When I started Bandwagen, my VW photography blog, the intension was to keep it about photography of stock, vintage VWs.
I soon realised that most, and some of the best photography of Volkswagens is of modified cars, especially where magazine shoots and professional photographers are involved. So it quickly expanded to include anything I felt was good photography.

I guess if there is a separate section for later/modified vehicles we don't HAVE to go there! :d

Malc
Old Blue
11 years ago

Still recon THIS site stays with the early cars. But thay were modded. Lots of other sites for post 67 Cars Air or water cooled modded or not.

Andy W

AW wrote:

Absolute no to 'modded', the site should remain stock as the name on the tin says. Otherwise its great to include late 60s on original Beetles, though maybe to the end of German production - 1978.

As far as improving the site and making it more user-friendly, I'd suggest that the popular and informative threads such as I first mentioned, need to be gathered and allocated their own section. Really good threads just get 'lost', pushed to the back and forgotten as time goes by, missed by new members/lurkers who maybe see just the 'bitty' meaningless threads, not realising how good the forum can be.
1956 VW Beetle, 1962 Morris Minor, 1968 VW Beetle (Old Blue), 1972 Morris Mini, 2005 MGTF

Blue, blue, Electric Blue, that's the colour of Old Blue!
nr 11
11 years ago
I don't think the problem is stock or modified.

30 years ago, the pre 67 were hot because they were old. A 68 was too young.
Now 30 years later, the 68 still seems to be too young. And that's a shame.

Look at my blog (sorry in dutch language) and you can see that "young and old" can live together.

https://mills.skynetblogs.be/ 
Old Blue
11 years ago

I don't think the problem is stock or modified.

30 years ago, the pre 67 were hot because they were old. A 68 was too young.
Now 30 years later, the 68 still seems to be too young. And that's a shame.

Look at my blog (sorry in dutch language) and you can see that "young and old" can live together.

https://mills.skynetblogs.be/ 

nr 11 wrote:

They are all old. The VW Beetle is a pre-war car, its an ancient technology.

Whereas the 'New Beetle'....:thumbdn:
1956 VW Beetle, 1962 Morris Minor, 1968 VW Beetle (Old Blue), 1972 Morris Mini, 2005 MGTF

Blue, blue, Electric Blue, that's the colour of Old Blue!
AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
11 years ago
I suppose its the old fogey syndrome. When some one says they have got a 68 69 70 Beetle i still think its a new one :shock: but in reality thay arnt for some one who is in there 20s these cars are OLD its not a golf or a lupo. But the site is Pre 67 VW if you had a site Pre 45 VW would you let post 45 Splits in to the fold? There used to be a KDF club in France i think it was and that stated NO replicas. Its a hard one to solve Rob ( thats if it needs solving in the first place. ) One thing i would hate if it became a small Volks Zone :thumbdn: After all thats said its your site Rob and its down to you to follow which path you feel is right.

ps at least its got people talking.

Andy W
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
11 years ago
I like them.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
pre67vw
11 years ago
I'm a little surprised at the support for keeping it stock - even on facebook where I posted the same question hoping to get a few opinions of people who don't post here. It seems that quite a few people who are into lowered cars still like this place being stock. :thumbup:

My worry is always that it comes off as being a bit 'elitist' which then in turn puts people off joining in. We've always had a bit of an anti-lowering philosophy (a bit tongue in cheek from me as I've never owned a VW that hasn't been lowered :wink: ) - I even banned GKL7 for a few hours once for posting a photo of a slammed bug :rofl:

Maybe because of this, people have the opinion that they're not welcome here if they own a lowered car, which as far as I'm concerned couldn't be further from the truth. I don't think it would be a good path to go down to have lengthy threads on people's buildups of huge turbo charged engines, or threads on how to slam your VW - there's plenty of those elsewhere. But I would like a few people with early cars that are stock from the pan up to join in a bit more...
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
11 years ago
The stock only thing is the all that separates this place from other forums.

I know what you mean about being considered elitist though. Seems like prefering to keep a car stock immediately marks you down as some kind of snob in a lot of peoples books. No idea why.

The other thing that I can´t hear any more is certain segments of the lowered guys assuming that they´ll be causing "outrage" (:rofl: ) amongst "the purists"(Huh?) by lowering their car. The reality is more likely that most people just like seeing the cars in whatever form. I enjoy the variety at shows, but to me as field full of lowered cars is no more or less interesting than a field of stockers. Sorry, I´m rambling off topic here.
UserPostedImage
Cool Splitty
11 years ago

The other thing that I can´t hear any more is certain segments of the lowered guys assuming that they´ll be causing "outrage" (:rofl: ) amongst "the purists"(Huh?) by lowering their car. The reality is more likely that most people just like seeing the cars in whatever form. I enjoy the variety at shows, but to me as field full of lowered cars is no more or less interesting than a field of stockers. Sorry, I´m rambling off topic here.

JD wrote:

I tried to get amessage accrss like this wiv my ratlook thred.some here werenot very tollerent n the thred was removed. This put me off a bit
Cool Splitty
11 years ago

Maybe because of this, people have the opinion that they're not welcome here if they own a lowered car, which as far as I'm concerned couldn't be further from the truth. I don't think it would be a good path to go down to have lengthy threads on people's buildups of huge turbo charged engines, or threads on how to slam your VW - there's plenty of those elsewhere. But I would like a few people with early cars that are stock from the pan up to join in a bit more...

pre67vw wrote:

Some 'ratlooks' are barn find cars left as isfrom the chassis up n just lowerd wiv special wheels:wink:
pre67vw
11 years ago

I tried to get amessage accrss like this wiv my ratlook thred.some here werenot very tollerent n the thred was removed. This put me off a bit

Cool Splitty wrote:

If that was the message you were trying to get across then you failed. The tone of that thread was more like 'you purists have it all wrong, rat look cars are better than all your stock cars and they're worth more money'
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
11 years ago

Some 'ratlooks' are barn find cars left as isfrom the chassis up n just lowerd wiv special wheels:wink:

Cool Splitty wrote:

Some ratty cars aren´t lowered.
If you want to talk about tolerance, you have to tolerate other peoples points of view too.
UserPostedImage
beefykeefy
11 years ago
I'd like to see a section for stock post 67 cars, plus a section for stock water-coolers.

TBH, my 'stock' 67, isn't absolutely stock - it's been converted to 12v, has dual circuit brakes, passenger door mirror, and rear seat belts, so it's not as stock as it could be.

I even think a section for early modified cars would be good too, as attracting more members can only be a good thing. Robb's 62 ragtop is a good example.

It might actually work favourably, in so much as stock cars will get a greater exposure to more people :beer: .

Interesting, some of the comments made on here about being perceived as elite, if you own a stocker. At some local shows, I feel the other way, that my car is the odd one out and I'm part of a dying breed...
pre67vw
11 years ago
Here you go, here's a prime example. Look at this lovely split Beetle (OK so it's a cabrio engine cover)

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

And then look at this  :omg:

Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW