Poll Question: Should pre'67 include post '67 and modified cars? (Poll is closed)

Total: 34

Old Blue
11 years ago
I've been a regular viewer of these forums from well before sign up. It is a shame that some of the best contributors no longer, well, contribute, and things have gone a little quiet.

Last Triumph, Rattletrap, 48REME and 55KAB to name a few. Proof of their efforts are Last Triumph's excellent thread on his so original Oval's recommissioning, it has taken a whopping 110,000+ views, then there's the Rattletrap thread, that's taken an amazing 142,000+ views. These two examples are of informative and entertaining topics, which is probably why they are so popular.

It seems that the forums are becoming more like a personal messaging board, with members making post purely for the information of another member although there is a personal mail box to use.

Is it time for a poll to consider a section for post '67 Beetles and other later air-cooled VWs :wink:
1956 VW Beetle, 1962 Morris Minor, 1968 VW Beetle (Old Blue), 1972 Morris Mini, 2005 MGTF

Blue, blue, Electric Blue, that's the colour of Old Blue!
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
six-o-one
11 years ago
This forum/website is aimed at a minority group so it's never going to win a popularity contest.
Some of the people you mention who no longer contribute no longer have their VWs, as far as I know and one has a new username.

I think you're missing the point a bit.
If people want to ask questions about Stock, Vintage VWs, they will probably get at least one opinion/answer here.

Malc
pre67vw
11 years ago

I've been a regular viewer of these forums from well before sign up. It is a shame that some of the best contributors no longer, well, contribute, and things have gone a little quiet.

Last Triumph, Rattletrap, 48REME and 55KAB to name a few. Proof of their efforts are Last Triumph's excellent thread on his so original Oval's recommissioning, it has taken a whopping 110,000+ views, then there's the Rattletrap thread, that's taken an amazing 142,000+ views. These two examples are of informative and entertaining topics, which is probably why they are so popular.

It seems that the forums are becoming more like a personal messaging board, with members making post purely for the information of another member although there is a personal mail box to use.

Is it time for a poll to consider a section for post '67 Beetles and other later air-cooled VWs :wink:

Old Blue wrote:

I agree things are quiet in here lately, I have scratched my head over it sometimes - thinking about things such as 'real names' etc. I do think that the weather has a lot to do with it, so many shows cancelled or postponed there's just not much going on.

People do come and go. LT's thread was fantastic, but as he's now sold the car he no longer posts here.

Post '67 Beetles? Kind of goes against the name of the site doesn't it? :rofl:

My preference would be to stick to pre '67 VW's, but to include modified cars (although I suspect this would be a very unpopular change to many of the regulars). When I say modified, I'm not really talking about heavily modded cars like the VolksRods - more the early cars that have been lowered etc. Seems a shame to me that some nice early cars are 'excluded' from the site because the owner chose to lower their car...

Personally, I'm not into lowering cars anymore - they drive so much nicer at stock height than when they're lowered - but does that mean that the owners of lowered cars should be excluded from contributing to the site?

When the site started out, it included all types of pre '67. I even used to post photos of drag cars that were pre '67, but over time and after a few trips to Camberg and Hessisch the site developed into more of a stock theme (not specifically from me by the way, it was what people were asking me to do). Maybe the time has come to move back a little bit?

This photo was taken by Claus Missing at the VW Classic, it's a split window Beetle - but it's not stock so we can't talk about it here... :?
 560452_3038982668101_409662_n.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
11 years ago
Why dont you put in some diferent sections in it like modified and old Strip cars etc ?

Andy W  538957_10150688505108509_196277133508_9663259_948405330_n.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Cool Splitty
11 years ago
Well i tried to have a thred on ratlook, 1st was locked after afew days nd 2nd which had some good feedback was completly deleted which left me wundering.:?The 2 threads mentioned are lockd as are many others which stops input.Whats so bad about late 60 + 70 bugs n buses
Cool Splitty. Reel Kool and called Peter.
ascort
11 years ago
I must admit that one of the things that I like about this forum and what attracted me to it (other than ignorance on the forum about Ascorts) was that it is about stock cars. There just seems to be so much empasis on big engines and lowering in most magazines and forums, I find it very refreshing to find a forum such as this.

Although I may rave on about the Ascorts, trying to share information on the make, I have a love of stock early beetles. Maybe it is because I remember the 58 that my Dad had when I was a kid in the mid 60s, the new 64 that our next door neighbour bought, or the 64 that a good friend owned during my college years.

I agree that things seem quiet here lately which is a little dissapointing, and I would love others to be posting more about their cars and interesting facts.

I have been a little embarrased about my Ascort blog and posts, as although I am trying to keep my Ascorts as true to original as I can reasonably do, it is still not a stock VW and would only be of interest to a limited number of readers. I would post about VWs if I still had one, but I sold my stock 54 last year so that I could concentrate on my Ascort.
Mark - Owner of 2 under restoration Australian coachbuilt Ascorts.
Cool Splitty
11 years ago

Post '67 Beetles? Kind of goes against the name of the site doesn't it? :rofl:

pre67vw wrote:

Name can change n poll can be done:d
Cool Splitty. Reel Kool and called Peter.
AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
11 years ago
Still recon THIS site stays with the early cars. But thay were modded. Lots of other sites for post 67 Cars Air or water cooled modded or not.

Andy W
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
11 years ago
Rob and others probably remember that I suggested a separate section for post 67 stockers some time ago. Is there even a website for these cars? Pretty sure it would bring more traffic eventually.
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
51reutter
11 years ago
I'm one of those who stooped posting here, exactly because, I sold all my early Vw's and I now only have post'67 projects...

I do agree that this site is THE place to go for stock pre67 vw's, but don´t see any harm on having a separate Topic for modified pre67's and another also for later models .

@Rob, congrats and thank you for making this amazing site for all of us

cheers

Joao
Instagram | @early_type
AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
11 years ago

I'm one of those who stooped posting here, exactly because, I sold all my early Vw's and I now only have post'67 projects...

I do agree that this site is THE place to go for stock pre67 vw's, but don´t see any harm on having a separate Topic for modified pre67's and another also for later models .

@Rob, congrats and thank you for making this amazing site for all of us

cheers

Joao

51reutter wrote:

Hi Joao You can still post on here with your memories and knowledge you must have over the years of having pre67 cars:thumbup: Just becouse you dont have a car you can still contribute :d

Andy W
pre67vw
11 years ago
Poll added
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
ascort
11 years ago

Poll added

pre67vw wrote:

Rob
I have voted that stock post 67 would be ok, even though my personal preference is for the older cars. I do have some reservations about the change though as I think that this site should be targetting just the purists.

One point of clarification that I would like to make is that I am voting for post 67 aircooled cars only, The watercooled cars should have no place in this forum (even though I do like them.)
Mark - Owner of 2 under restoration Australian coachbuilt Ascorts.
pre67vw
11 years ago
There's only a slim chance that post 67's will ever have a place here, so waterpumpers have zero chance.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
11 years ago
I have voted 100% stock ( Hope that includes coachbuilt & old speed ) :thumbup:

Andy W
lifeintheslowlane
11 years ago
Hmmm I voted "Absolutely not" as my preference but as a second best "Post 67 but not modified."

I think throwing it open to modified, (apart from Vintage Speed) would see the website being quickly overrun, alienating the core stock enthusiast.

Stock is in the minority in this hobby...throwing the website open would take away a last bastion of "mature discussion" about early aircooled VWs.
John.
pre67vw
11 years ago

I think throwing it open to modified, (apart from Vintage Speed) would see the website being quickly overrun, alienating the core stock enthusiast.

Stock is in the minority in this hobby...throwing the website open would take away a last bastion of "mature discussion" about early aircooled VWs.

lifeintheslowlane wrote:

So in your opinion, it's better to have a quiet forum about stock than a busy forum that includes modified?

The term modified does tend to cover quite a wide range of VW's, what about including more of the resto-cal style of cars that are basically 100% stock from the floorpan up?

Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
pre67vw
11 years ago

Why dont you put in some diferent sections in it like modified and old Strip cars etc ?

Andy W

AW wrote:

I wouldn't have a problem with old strip cars going in the Vintage speed section. Vintage speed generally tends to mean Okrasa's, Judsons etc. But it would be hard to argue that an old racecar from the 60's isn't a form of vintage speed.

Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
11 years ago
I´d be happy with a separate post 67 section. Keeps it a "stock" forum, if not what some call truly vintage. All the restored VWs together, regardless of year. Going the other way with modified stuff would be poison for this place IMHO. The Resto Cal boys seem to be very knowledgeable about year on year changes and so on, (I think they´re a bigger bunch of buffers than anyone, though they´re far too cool admit it!) but they have their own forums.
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
Robb
11 years ago
i think simply, stock cars just arent as popular as modified ones. on whatever level.

i sit in both camps, as my 67 is stock and my 62 rag is a restocal, and im a member of the Rebel Alliance.

maybe it will change one day, who knows, but like JD said, alot of the restocal boys love an original and rare car, just slightly lower to the ground :wink:

keep the forum going though, its places and people on here that keep the stock dream alive :thumbup: