mrsherbie
17 years ago
Colour changes? Or just manufacturer difference?

I have grey painted gloveboxes and also black painted gloveboxes, both the black gloveboxes are in 1950 beetles, both lined in original fabric, one set lined in brown multi stripe, one set beige rib.
Are the black painted 50-? And the grey a couple of years later maybe? Or just different manufacturers?

UserPostedImage

Also these round inspection covers, again on both the brown deluxe 50 beetles they are painted brown? But although the paint looks original I think they must have been painted? On a blue 52 bodyshell we have here they are original paint black.
Were they ever painted body colour? Or always black?

UserPostedImage

Also one car has a very nice correct tank, again its brown? Nice old paint but I assume its been painted? They were never painted body colour were they?

Anyone know?

Has anyone bought brand new rear taillight wire, the type in the coiled aluminium cover? Where?

Thanks in advance!

(I will find some harder questions for next time 😃 )
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
2splits
17 years ago
Regarding the coiled wire, did you check with John Henry from Zarwerks?

Later split (51-52) fuel tanks and inspection colors were definitely black.

However, I do think earlier cars had body colored fuel tanks. There was a big arguement about it on the samba a year or two ago. I'll see if I can dig it up.
Kevin

-51 Split Rag
-58 Ghia Cab with Okrasa
-57 356
mrsherbie
17 years ago
Oh Thankyou 2splits I would really appreciate if you remember what the topic was.
I painted the inspection covers green and then sanded them back when I thought maybe they should really be black like most beetles. They will look better in black.
I need to paint my tank. Its been blasted. I had assumed black.

If 40's beetles had all these parts in black? Is it possible that they changed as a 'new' deluxe thing? Then changed back to black very quickly again?

I didnt try zarwerks yet! I had a feeling someone on our side of the pond sells it so thought I would ask first.

48REME
17 years ago
I have to say, I have never heard of or seen anything else besides a black-painted fuel tank, in all the cars I had. My 48's was bubble gum light blue as the rest of the car which was obviously wrong. However, being an Army car, this would have been olive drab green as the rest of the car.
All my other cars, standard splits though, have always had black tanks in original paint.
Inspection plates must be black (satin). It may well be that the cardboard colour for the glove boxes did vary from manufacturer to manufacturer.
I had original dull grey on mine (both Belgian splits, 51 and 52 as well as my German 51).
'Hope this helps... :wink:
2splits
17 years ago
Here are the ones I could find.

One on Splits 

This one is on ovals, but informative info that may help:

Other one 
Kevin

-51 Split Rag
-58 Ghia Cab with Okrasa
-57 356
mrsherbie
17 years ago
Thanks 2splits! I have read the long thread a few times, just posted this pic, seems to be odd early and Kab thing then with no definite conclusion?! You've got a great pair of spare wheel wells too by the way! 😃 :lol:

UserPostedImage
Standard split
17 years ago
My 1949 model Split is a low miles one owner car and 99% untouched, stored most of its life. So I think that it is an authority to anybody restoring such a car.

The fuel tank in this is painted maroon to match the body colour. It has never been touched. So, they weren't always black :!:
Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
mrsherbie
17 years ago
I have been trawling through magazines looking at this, all the cars definitely up to 50, even restored I have found that look correct have body coloured tanks and inspection covers, and painted steel? fuel tank caps. But 51-? seem to be 'blacky coloured' falling into line with 2 splits nice originals.
Now we have another 50 bordeaux tank and also some more 50 type none in black.
(Dont say I dont make my boy work to find results! :lol:)
(Oh he will be on here and I will be in trouble in the morning! :lol: )

SO it seems for the first year of deluxe at least they stayed with the matched tank and parts from the 40's, but then changed it for some reason?

According to the samba, Kabs carried on getting their tanks painted?

Thats it then, mines going green!

mrsherbie
17 years ago

My 1949 Split is a low miles one owner car and 99% untouched, stored most of its life. The fuel tank in this is painted maroon

"Standard split" wrote:

I just realised that you own my dream car! 😃
Standard split
17 years ago
Thanks, mrsherbie 🙂

I have owned my '49 model Deluxe split for 22 years now, so it is a special car to me, as well as being unusually well preserved.

Restored cars just lack something that this car has and cannot be recreated :wink:
Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378