Robb
14 years ago
yer im not going to go too mad, no powdercoat or blasting, just a thorough cleaning and repaint. ๐Ÿ™‚
TEXAS PETE
14 years ago

The only engine parts I painted were the cylinder shrouds, rocker covers and the coil. I used 'PJ1 fast black engine and case paint'. Its intended for the motorcycle market. It cures onto the metal requiring no primer and is good to around 200degsC. It dries a satin finish and can be further polished up to match the glossyer finish of the original.
There is always lots of debade as to the correct sheen that should be on the tin ware.
The majority of my engine wares its original paint including the air filter that still has the original decal intact and the paint finish is deffinantly gloss, as is the fan housing.
I've got a feeling later cars may be satin finish, but in my opinion the earlier cars (6 volt) should be a gloss type finish. (sorry Tom:twisted: )

I only done the rear axle/breaks as I had the gearbox sorted. I used Por15 again a gloss finish.
Its a similar product to 'smootherite'. The smooterite/hammerite paint in black however is the wrong colour, its what I'd call a browny black...too rich. The original colour is a neutral black, the other end of the spectrum being slate or greyish blacks.:shock: and you thought black was black :lol:

harveypj wrote:

I agree that the engine wear should be a glossy type finish. Mine was/is all original and needed touching up. A buff of the originals with original white paint OG marks showed this.

The car looks superb, well done on your decisions, I think you did the right thing.

Pete

Robb
14 years ago
i think the finish should be semi gloss, but try finding a powdercoater that will do that!

didnt Roy Wilson, he of the zenith blue 67 repaint his tinware satin black after getting marked down by the concourse judges for it being glossy?
harveypj
  • harveypj
  • Stock "Wolfie" Smith Topic Starter
14 years ago
He did, but even he's still not sure what is correct:? he was looking at mine last year at Stanford Hall. Don't know who the judge was? They are not always correct.
I can only draw conclution from what I have in my garage, 67 is also quite a bit later than mine, may be around the time the finish changed to a more satin one?
Maybe the factory finish varied for what ever reason, paint batch, suplier etc.

Stock......the new custom
Robb
14 years ago
yer maybe, but i have to say, what is left of my of tinware paint, its def a semi gloss. But it all needs re-doing...so guess itll either have to be gloss or satin powdercoat :?
DeanoVW
14 years ago

i think the finish should be semi gloss, but try finding a powdercoater that will do that!

didnt Roy Wilson, he of the zenith blue 67 repaint his tinware satin black after getting marked down by the concourse judges for it being glossy?

Robb wrote:

I had my floorpan and all my tinware powder coated semi gloss black without a problem.
Robb
14 years ago
may i ask who you used?

thanks ๐Ÿ™‚
TEXAS PETE
14 years ago
The powder coater compared my tin wear to finishes he could achieve and said it was a glossy/semi gloss finish. This is what I went for as it matched the original finish. (so powder coaters can do a semi gloss.)
As for judges not always being correct!? itโ€™s criminal if they can make a call based on their opinion and not facts.

Also I think on higher mileage cars the tin wear could become less and less glossy over a period of time due to the high temperatures generated from the engine. (just my opinion, thought id add that) :)

DeanoVW
14 years ago

may i ask who you used?

Robb wrote:

Of course:

https://www.blastcleanandcoatings.co.uk/ 

ยฃ350 for the floorpan, be aware that there may uncover areas that need repairing. They will not repair it.

ยฃ100 for the tinware
Robb
14 years ago
thanks,

i may have to go for satin black, as 3 places local to me dont do semi-gloss, or when i ask them, they say satin is semi gloss :lol:
harveypj
  • harveypj
14 years ago
Have you seen the VW documentry 'the shape of quality'?
If not you need to, go on youtube and search 'shape of quality', engines are put together in 3/3 ๐Ÿ˜Ž
TEXAS PETE
14 years ago
Thanks for sharing the video harveypj. Surely thatโ€™s 100% confirmation of tin wear gloss? It also shows the engines being built with there blue leads..:)

Pete

harveypj
  • harveypj
14 years ago
That particular version of the documentry is an Australian one, you may have noticed the Grey floorpans.
There is also an earlier German version filmed in the 50's

TEXAS PETE
14 years ago
Yeah, I wonder why they did that.. I like the way they state each car needs to pass the 83 mechanical tests before they can move on to the next stage. I wonder if many fell short and needed re-addressing.

Iโ€™ll have to have a look for the other video i dont think i've seen it.

Robb
14 years ago

Have you seen the VW documentry 'the shape of quality'?
If not you need to, go on youtube and search 'shape of quality', engines are put together in 3/3 ๐Ÿ˜Ž

harveypj wrote:

dam, now your causing me problems :lol:

well the og paint on my tinware is gloss-ish.

hmmm not sure what to do now. :? help?
harveypj
  • harveypj
14 years ago
PJ1 engine and case paint, polish it to the gloss finish your happy with.
It also results in a kind of aged look.  tin.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Robb
14 years ago
yer need to hunt for that stuff, as Halfords here dont do it.

never been marked down for that im guessing?
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
14 years ago
A friend of mine collects old lightweight bicycles and has very expertly aged his resprays on a couple of them using a mixture of T-cut and oil. Gives an everso slightly flat sheen to the paint. Might be worth a try.
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
59 convert
14 years ago
I love the car harveypj, did you show it at the Volksworld show last year? I might've seen it at Karmann Konnection as well.
I've just bought a '59 type 1, slightly different to yours as it's an ex drag strip car but I love the stock look on pre 60's bugs, it suits it very well!
Glad to know there's another 50's bug in Essex.
harveypj
  • harveypj
14 years ago
Hi Jonathan, Thamks for the kind words and welcome to the forum.
Yes I displayed my car at Volksworld last year, even managed to pick up a top20 award:d
I also went along to last years KK open day/BBQ so is quite posible you saw me there too.