scarabsport
16 years ago
Hi,
I have a 1962 VW Beetle with a 1200cc engine. I just purchased the car a few weeks ago. The beetle is in real good condition. The engine runs strong but, I have a transmission/Transaxle whining that I hear when the vehicle is under load in all 4 gears. First gear is not synchronized I assume because I have to almost come to a complete stop to get it into first. The whining stops or quiets when I let off the gas pedal.
Is first gear synchronized in a 1962 model year?
Is the whining I'm hearing normal for the beetles?
I had a person tell me to drain the transmission/transaxle and fill with STP oil treatment. Is this a good idea?
Thanks in advance,
Dan
[email protected]
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
Superlaws
16 years ago
Hi there, I own a 65 Beetle and there is definately no snchro on 1st gear for that one.

With regards to the whining I am no expert but a small amount of whine can be expected from an older car. If it is a noticeable high pitched whine it could be a thrust bearing (you can tell this if it goes away when you put the clutch in).

Other than that one of the experts here might have some more info.

JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
16 years ago
Try the oil treatment before anything else. Its not going to hurt it. I think I used Molyslip or something once before and it did help quite a bit.
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage