sarah dell
15 years ago
Hi, I am a newbie to this forum, I have a 1960 beetle and I bought it about 10 years ago, I am trying to get the reserve tank to work it seems that the tap is attached to the bottom of the tank with two pipes in the tank one longer than the other (asume this is the reserve tap) and I have in the middle of the car near the gear stick and hand break on drivers side a round metal thing with a sqaure fitment on, is this the device to turn it on as i can't see anything conecting the tap to anything in the car and constantly have the problem of running out of fuel, please can someone help. Thanks in advance.
Sarah
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
harveypj
15 years ago
The only other control fitted next to the hand break/gear lever is that for the heating, a knob located on a short metal tube (on the right side of centre) or drivers side on a right hand drive car. It sounds like that is what you have described.
The fuel reserve is switched to by a short lever (about 3" long) located in the middle towards the top of the front bulkhead (the panel behind the foot pedals.
When in the vertical position set for normal running, turn it 90' clockwise to the horizontal to switch to reserve.

Hope this helps

not a very good photo but the reserve tap should look like this (black lever at the top)  IMG_4178.JPG You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Stock......the new custom
sarah dell
15 years ago
Thanks very much makes a lot more sense now. I don't seem to have a lever and don't think when I had the petrol tank out that there was anything connecting to the tank. I has been re-carpeted....(not by me how i bought it) so will have look behind see if there is anything there. If I don't have a leaver is there anything I can do to get one/fit one?
harveypj
15 years ago
It may be possible that you have had a later fuel tank fitted, you may be able to make use of a sender unit and retro fit a proper fuel gauge to the dash.
Early vw gauges were cable operated, Is there any evidence of any wires or conduit conecting to the tank?
sarah dell
15 years ago
no, doesn't look like there is anything connecting apart from the fuel pipe, the tank is filled from the inside of the hood like the pic attached. and it keeps the reserve in the bottom so never using full tank. dunno if this helps, sorry bit of a novice when it comes to my bug. Really appreciate your help UserPostedImage
harveypj
15 years ago
If there is nothing towards the back of the tank under the inlay card then I'd say you have the correct year tank. The only thing I can suggest it will be is that the operating lever is missing from the fuel tap, this ties up with the fact the hole in the bulkhead has been carpeted over.
If you jack the car up and put it on stands and remove a front wheel you should be able to see the fuel tap in the bottom of the tank.
The operating lever (basicaly a 'L' shaped tube)when posted through its hole from inside would normaly slide over the fuel tap 'stem' and held by a cotter (split) pin.

Good luck
sarah dell
15 years ago
Yes it is missing had a look and a rubber plug has been put in the hole.
Just gotta get a replacement leaver and all good.

Thanks for your patience and help
:d
six-o-one
15 years ago
You can buy replacement taps, leavers and filters from Status VW parts. Look in the fuel system section of their online shop...

https://www.status-vw.co.uk/shop/index.html 

:d

mrsherbie
15 years ago
Ooh, it looks beautiful under your bonnet! What colour is your car?

I have a fuel measuring stick made by Larry at Retrocustom as I ran out of petrol the first 2 out of 3 times I drove my beetle! :lol: So Owen gave me this for Christmas and I have not done it since! :lol:
He makes a pre61 stick but you need to check it is ok as it is close to your year.

Retrocustom 
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
sarah dell
15 years ago
Thanks for the advice gonna have a look on the site now.
Thats not my bug in the picture mine is bright pink. but has the same tank. :d
sarah dell
15 years ago
Brilliant ordered tap lever and filter and only cost me £20 including postage. Thanks again. :d
mrsherbie
15 years ago

Brilliant ordered tap lever and filter and only cost me £20 including postage. Thanks again. :d

sarah dell wrote:

:d You wont go wrong, he is one of the nicest most honest people in the vw scene, and runs a workshop now too.
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
sarah dell
15 years ago
tap should turn up today but a little unsure as to how to fit, I know you slide it on the tap but how do you fix it on/get to it (the tap that is) as only way I can see is to take the tank out and that means that the lever will be not the right angle to connect.
sarah dell
15 years ago
Hi, ordered from Status as you can see months ago and still havn't received from them any ideas where I can by one from (in the uk) or can I fit a fuel gauge thats not mecahnical.

Thanks
Sarah
harveypj
15 years ago
Have you phoned Barclay at Status to chase him up? If he is having trouble getting one next stop must be Karmann Konnecion. Speak to Julian (jules), he posts on here.
sarah dell
15 years ago
I have sent him loads of chaser emails and he has replied but said will get to me asap and still nothing :o(
will try and find jules and ask him if he can help
Jules
15 years ago

I have sent him loads of chaser emails and he has replied but said will get to me asap and still nothing :o(
will try and find jules and ask him if he can help

sarah dell wrote:

Hi.. I'm surprised you have had problems getting a fuel tap.

We always have them in stock and I can get one sent out to you right away.

Give me a call 01702 601155
sarah dell
15 years ago

Hi.. I'm surprised you have had problems getting a fuel tap.

We always have them in stock and I can get one sent out to you right away.

Give me a call 01702 601155

Jules wrote:

It's not the fuel tap I need Its the lever that goes through to inside the car to turn the reserve on. Do you have one of these.

Thanks if so will give you call to put in an order
pre67vw
15 years ago

It's not the fuel tap I need Its the lever that goes through to inside the car to turn the reserve on. Do you have one of these.

Thanks if so will give you call to put in an order

sarah dell wrote:

I'm sure they do, I got mine from there and they had a load in a tub to choose from (original & repro)
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
sarah dell
15 years ago
Hi finally got my reserve lever from a guy who contacted me on the clasifieds. Brill
Right now i need some advice, well idiot guide really, what else do I need to fit it and what and how do I fit it.

Thanks In advance