vw.58-beetle
15 years ago
Hello all im new on here so hi to you all .I have a 1958 vw beetle from sweaden im confused due to the fact that my beetle has no reserve tap it has a hole in the body with a rubber bung in readyness but theres nothing there .should they be one at all it has no fule guage and i have had the tank out to respray it and the tanks a sealed unit so im not sure how the reserve tap would fit on to it. ok one other thing my window rubbers dont have the chrome trim inserts should it have? im suppecting cal look rubbers have been fitted for cheep ness ok any imput would be gretfull

Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
mrsherbie
15 years ago
Hello :d

Yes, you being a pre-fuel gauge car you would have a tap, maybe some parts are just missing? This pic is about '60 you see it still has the tap, but also the new fuel tank, yours will be the older style tank.
Sweden didnt like standards much :lol: so they bought mostly deluxe's so if your car is deluxe, yes probably the windscreen rubber has just been changed sometime, easy to correct. Does the windscreen glass look original? does it have logos that match the other windows? Its common for a windscreen to have been changed in all these years especially in Sweden with bad roads!
We have a few Swedish 58's and 59's that are unmessed with, I can always check small details for you.

UserPostedImage
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
vw.58-beetle
15 years ago
many thanks it looks like that they have just put cheep rubbers in all the glass is original where on the tank does the tap rod fit please carnt see to well on the pic but thankyou for you help

thanks
:d
trmuratakturk
15 years ago
wellcome:d
Hello
UserPostedImage 
UserPostedImage 

mrsherbie
15 years ago
Hi,sorry for the slow reply they go up inside through the bottom of the tank, you will have something there. Much easier to see with the nearside left wheel off, but get a torch and look up under the car.
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann