JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
15 years ago
Just wondering if anyone knows what the outer tops were originally made of. I have seen very early cars with original cloth tops, but I wondered when they changed to vinyl. Anyone throw any light on this?
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
pre67vw
15 years ago
I vaguely remember it being '65 that Vinyl was available, but I'll look it up tonight...

Cloth looks so much nicer though :wink:
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
JD
  • JD
15 years ago

Cloth looks so much nicer though :wink:

pre67vw wrote:

Until you look at the price!:shock: :d
UserPostedImage
pre67vw
15 years ago

Until you look at the price!:shock: :d

JD wrote:

true.. I got mine second hand, but unused. The guy had bought it for his car but never got round to fitting it and then had sold the car. It was cheap!! :wink:
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
JD
  • JD
15 years ago
Which is it? Sonnenland, or normal cloth?

Stroke of luck either way.
UserPostedImage
pre67vw
15 years ago
Sonnenland...
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
GKL 7
15 years ago

Sonnenland...

pre67vw wrote:

You really are into modifying cars aren't you Rob.[-x
JD
  • JD
15 years ago

'50 Karmann wrote:

So what is correct then?
UserPostedImage
pre67vw
15 years ago

'50 Karmann wrote:

I only do it to upset the vintage purists... :wink:
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
GKL 7
15 years ago
:lol: :lol: :lol:
pre67vw
15 years ago

Just wondering if anyone knows what the outer tops were originally made of. I have seen very early cars with original cloth tops, but I wondered when they changed to vinyl. Anyone throw any light on this?

JD wrote:

According to Keith Seume's essential VW Cabrio:

The hood remained basically unchanged until 1965, when overall shape was altered, allowing it to sit lower when folded down. ... In Europe, the material used to cover the top was changed to PVC.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
mrsherbie
15 years ago

I only do it to upset the vintage purists... :wink:

pre67vw wrote:

:lol: :lol:

I think if I had your car I would also be torn with the decision as cloth is so much nicer on a beetle kab. Our 59 samba has its original vinyl cover but it is getting very tatty now and I would love to replace it with cloth, but even though it is a messy bus, we are sticking with the beige vinyl :? (boo)
Also the 79 has beige vinyl and that hood also needs replacing and we are sticking with beige vinyl for this too as it is 100% stock og and I want to keep this car that way. Sometimes stock is not my first choice but I suppose am thinking about the cars this time not me :shock: :lol:
Anyone have any better supplier suggestions for absolute correctness and og quality? I want to fit it myself :shock: :lol:

Klaus Mayer 

"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
mrsherbie
15 years ago
Saw this today, any use to anyone? I have no idea what they cost myself.
(Also just in case you are wondering, I think those fuel cans are to sit in 14" wheels, as I have one and its very cool but doesnt fit anything I own! :lol: )

58 beetle Hood cover & bag for sale on v** 
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
Ovalbug
15 years ago

Saw this today, any use to anyone? I have no idea what they cost myself.
(Also just in case you are wondering, I think those fuel cans are to sit in 14" wheels, as I have one and its very cool but doesnt fit anything I own! :lol: )

58 beetle Hood cover & bag for sale on v** 

mrsherbie wrote:

I have one of those fuel cans in my cabrio, it fits quite nicely in the spare wheel well (flat of course :lol: ) and having made a 'band' out of foam to go around the can fits quite snugly in the 15" spare wheel......
Personally I would be very dubious of buying any hood-related parts where you don't know exactly where they are made.....
My cab has a KHM vinyl og-spec hood (fitted by a previous owner in 1997) and it is still in very good nick, but I've recently bought a KHM hood cover in black sonnenland and the quality is superb.
I can't afford (or justify tbh) a complete new hood in sonnenland as my car rarely gets driven with the roof up (come to think of it it rarely gets driven at all 😞 ) , but if I had to have a new hood I would go for sonnenland......
I like to think that I'm a stickler for originality too , but when you compare a vinyl and a sonnenland-hood cabrio side by side the sonnenland wins hands-down every time in my book, it just looks so much classier :lol: .
'63 Karmann Ghia RHD
'72 1302LS Karmann Cabrio RHD
JD
  • JD
15 years ago
Thing is - the comparison is not really between vinyl and Sonnenland. I´m really interested in the comparison between regular cloth and Sonnenland. Anyone advise me either way?
UserPostedImage
GKL 7
15 years ago

I want to fit it myself :shock: :lol:

mrsherbie wrote:

Please tell me when this is happening,i would love to be there and watch:shock:
Ovalbug
15 years ago

Thing is - the comparison is not really between vinyl and Sonnenland. I´m really interested in the comparison between regular cloth and Sonnenland. Anyone advise me either way?

JD wrote:

As I understand it , sonnenland is made from acrylic fibre and is very resistant to wear and fading.
Not really sure what 'regular cloth' is; perhaps its made from natural fibres ie cotton/canvas, if so it will not be half as durable as anything synthetic?
Think the problem you are going to have is finding anyone who will supply a ready-made hood in 'regular cloth'; unless you are having a bespoke hood made?

:wink:

'63 Karmann Ghia RHD
'72 1302LS Karmann Cabrio RHD
JD
  • JD
15 years ago
Well maybe I will!:p
UserPostedImage
pre67vw
15 years ago

Please tell me when this is happening,i would love to be there and watch:shock:

'50 Karmann wrote:

you didn't want to come watch me...

IMG_5148.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
pre67vw
15 years ago

JD wrote:

Not too sure what 'regular cloth' is either, but Sonnenland appears to have a slightly ruberised back to it. I assume it makes it more waterproof but it also makes it a bit stretchy.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW