JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
15 years ago
You are right - I misunderstood/misread something when looking at hood outers. What was described as "German OE" only means vinyl - even though it was never OE on a `58.:roll:
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
mrsherbie
15 years ago

Please tell me when this is happening,i would love to pop round to fit it for you

'50 Karmann wrote:

OK, that would be fantastic Thanks! Thats a very kind offer indeed :beer: :d

Actually Rob doing his has made me think I can do mine! and I have the original to take off first which should make it easier.

There is very little stretch in my Sonnenland, but yes a small amount, I am making a handbag with the offcut from Owens sunroof at the moment, and it is really tough to sew through 2 layers on folds, even with my industrial machine with its big old clutch motor that will sew up to 10mm thick leather. It is exactly 1mm thick and looks and like it is 2 layers of acrylic/synthetic cloth with rubber sandwiched in the middle, hence it does'nt leak through the stitch holes as I guess the rubber closes around the thread, Owens sunroof does'nt leak and it has been out in torrential rain to test.

My old black 1303 Kab was Italian '74 I think (around 1990?) and had its og cloth hood that was beautifully soft, almost like moleskin? I know it was og and the hood was beautifully faded but getting worn. That hood was definitely cloth not Sonnenland. I think that is what I would like on a pre67 car, I will find a pic.

If our 03 had a black hood, I would go Sonnenland without second thought. But as it is a 100% og paint 30k mile uk car, I think we should keep it pretty correct ( Although saying that it might get some mint og paint all black 16" Fuchs? ( :oops: 😳 :lol: )

Also, I found these fabulous pic of this years Cabriolet Owners Club International trip, and I want to do this meet!! :beer: :d

It seems to me, that because 03 cabs are not 'cool' amongst most under 40yr olds, they mostly seem to escape the choppers and modifiers and stay stock! :d :idea:

Photo's from Cab OC GB, Terry Coldicotts photos :beer: :

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Looks great does'nt it!! And you know, we could ALL do this meet either next year or 2010? :idea:

Or just Etzhold and ourselves will go to represent the "pre67-1303Cab Club" :lol: :wink:

UserPostedImage
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
mrsherbie
15 years ago

My cab has a KHM vinyl og-spec hood (fitted by a previous owner in 1997) and it is still in very good nick

Ovalbug wrote:

I'd really like to see a pic of your hood? Especially showing rear window and around the edges? If you could post or mail me one?

Until you look at the price!:shock: :d

JD wrote:

cheapskate :lol:
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
pre67vw
15 years ago

Actually Rob doing his has made me think I can do mine!

mrsherbie wrote:

When you see mine you'll probably change your mind... :wink:
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
15 years ago

cheapskate :lol:

mrsherbie wrote:

Yeah, I got kind of demoralised when looking at Heritages catalogue and going "Need one of them....need one of them...need one of them...need one of them...need one of them..." If only it was just a hood outer that I needed!

Alas, the price of the glamourous, cabrio, movie star lifestyle is indeed a high one!
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
GKL 7
15 years ago

When you see mine you'll probably change your mind... :wink:

pre67vw wrote:

[-x They are easy, those late models,try an early one without the tensioning wire at the back :lol: :lol: :lol:
pre67vw
15 years ago

[-x They are easy, those late models,try an early one without the tensioning wire at the back :lol: :lol: :lol:

'50 Karmann wrote:

No tensioning wire on a '65 😳 I also made my own rear bow :wink:
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
GKL 7
15 years ago

made my own bow :wink:

pre67vw wrote:

Quite the ROBin Hood aren't we:wink: