14 years ago

not sure yet, torn between taking it back to original or 90's style cal look

owner wrote:

Lets hope he chooses correctly! :lol: :wink:
William
Standard split
14 years ago
This is super rare, like hen's teeth :shock:

I really get the feeling that this car may not be in the best hands. With no disrespect to the lucky owner, but if he's not sure wether to give it a Cal look from the 90's or restore it properly that says it all :evil:

Do they have one of these in the Wolfsburg Museum :?

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
48REME
14 years ago

I really get the feeling that this car may not be in the best hands. With no disrespect to the lucky owner, but if he's not sure wether to give it a Cal look from the 90's or restore it properly that says it all :evil:

Standard split wrote:

Very rare and very interesting car. I tend to agree with you John, some don't always deserve what they have... Look what happened to the Austrian 1958 and more shockingly, to Paula's old RHD 1958 Standard, ending up at Terry's with a roof chop and left to rot in the rain!:cry:
Standard split
14 years ago

Very rare and very interesting car. I tend to agree with you John, some don't always deserve what they have... Look what happened to the Austrian 1958 and more shockingly, to Paula's old RHD 1958 Standard, ending up at Terry's with a roof chop and left to rot in the rain!:cry:

48REME wrote:

I remember Paula's RHD 1958 Standard very well, and I had the chance to buy it but didn't because it needed a fair bit of work to get it back to its former glory, and space was an issue for me at the time.

What they did to this rarity was to destroy it. I'm sorry I didn't take it when I had the chance :cry:

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
48REME
14 years ago
Me too...:cry:
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
14 years ago

I tend to agree with you John, some don't always deserve what they have...

48REME wrote:

"Deserve´s got nuthin´ to do with it!"

Make the guy an offer if you feel that strongly about it? He is at least thinking about restoring it. Why not point him in the right direction? At least talk him out of any body mods.

I would have pointed the guy in this direction, but after whats been written here, that mightn´t be such a good plan anymore.:(
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
JD
  • JD
14 years ago
So come on guys - what colour should this car be? What do you know about the interior, chrome bits (or lack thereof), colour of wheels, motor? I´ll pass on any info.
UserPostedImage
Standard split
14 years ago
I'd say the trim spec would be as a regular 1967 1200 base model, thin chrome body trim, no window chrome trim so with ungrooved rubbers. Plated bumpers door boot/bonnet handles and hubcaps though. But, if it were like the 1200A (unlikely) it could have unplated quarter lights, door boot/bonnet handles (nicer).

The inside looks correct – no headliner around the windows, door and window handles unplated, grey with black knobs, black 2 spoke steering wheel, black dash knobs and plain door and panel cards and grey vinyll seats.

We all know that 1967 is a 1 year model with different style door handles, hubcaps etc.

This car looks to be a very easy restoration for such a rarity :wink:

Big Dave
14 years ago

Do they have one of these in the Wolfsburg Museum :?

Standard split wrote:

I am the lucky owner of said vehicle, and yes I have thought about giving it the pastel paint treatment as i am trying to findout as much infomation as possible about the vehicle before I do anything....or decide if I am the right person to take on the resto!!

Any information about this car would be appreciated and could someone give me some figures as to now many where made in this spec or how many may be left??
VW Stan
14 years ago

I am the lucky owner of said vehicle, and yes I have thought about giving it the pastel paint treatment as i am trying to findout as much infomation as possible about the vehicle before I do anything....or decide if I am the right person to take on the resto!!

Any information about this car would be appreciated and could someone give me some figures as to now many where made in this spec or how many may be left??

Big Dave wrote:

Welcome to pre67vw Dave!

It's hard to say what my girlfriend does for a living...

...She sells sea shells on the sea shore!
Big Dave
14 years ago

Welcome to pre67vw Dave!

VW Stan wrote:

Cheers fella
54 Gertie
14 years ago

Big Dave wrote:

Hello there!

Well done on getting such a rare car. Luckily (for you :lol: ) it seems to have most of its one year only parts which is often the killer in a project! :wink:

Good luck!
William
JD
  • JD
14 years ago
You found us! Welcome Dave.
UserPostedImage
VW Stan
14 years ago
There was a nice blue RHD '67 Sparkäfer at Pepercorn in 2006.
There are a couple of pics in the show photos section.

67 sparkafer.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
It's hard to say what my girlfriend does for a living...

...She sells sea shells on the sea shore!
Big Dave
14 years ago

You found us! Welcome Dave.

JD wrote:

Thanks JD and thanks for the earlier comments:wink:

I Have done nothing to this car since i collected it and am trying to find out everything I can about the car before I start a resto, or decide if i can do this car justice
Big Dave
14 years ago
Have found out a bit more about this car, from dvla, it was first register in uk in 71 and is therefore on a J Plate, however the chassis no donates it was built late 66......

so could this be an early 67???
JD
  • JD
14 years ago
The model year changes after the summer holidays (when they change over the tooling on the production lines), so yes, it should be a 67.
UserPostedImage
Big Dave
14 years ago

The model year changes after the summer holidays (when they change over the tooling on the production lines), so yes, it should be a 67.

JD wrote:

Thats what i was thinking, really need to find out as much as I possibly can about this car before I decide what to do, but the cal look is out of the window
Standard split
14 years ago

the cal look is out of the window

Big Dave wrote:

Good decision Dave, and hello, glad you made it 'from the other side':beer: