mattfromportugal
14 years ago
Although there is a much smaller scene here in Portugal than back in the UK, there are still a number of old VWs that surface. Talking with a few people in the know, I've learnt that it is believed that the earliest Beetle import was 1949, although no one knows if it still exists: after this 3 or 4 came over in 1950. Under the Salazar dictatorship, luxury cars were not permitted, so you very rarely see early convertibles, unless they have been imported at a later date. (post revolution). This also applies to early rag tops - you don't see many, and buses tended to be panel vans, with windows let in post production.

My 54 Oval was sourced by a company called Vintage Vans https://www.vintagevans.com.pt  and I spent some time compiling a slide show of some of the vehicles they have: ranging from one of the 1950 Beetles to customers restos, they certainly have an interesting collection as they scour the country for interesting finds - their place is somewhat like a museum, with latest additions kept in that "barn find state".

UserPostedImage
Here's the latest split to arrive...

And here's the link to the slideshow of images
https://s607.photobucket.com/albums/tt154/vintagevansportugal/?albumview=slideshow 

More pictures of my 54 Oval will be forthcoming next week.

Matt
Semaphores sourced, thanks Rich... looking for Westy SO23 interior parts.
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
55Kab
14 years ago
Tks Matt very interesting. That 50 looks a good find.

mattfromportugal
14 years ago
UserPostedImage

The 50 is a cracking car: I'd love to buy it but lack the funds at present. Matching numbers, solid, never welded (I believe) and is very clean with straight bodywork and OG paint. It's missing bumpers, tailights and the bonnet was dented during transit from its resting place, but otherwise complete - I don't think the interior is original, and will check next week - have a look. Also lacks the semaphores, but it's a very solid base for a quality resto... (and needs a replacement exhaust)

UserPostedImage
mattfromportugal
14 years ago
Over the weekend, the 50 received some fresh grooved bumpers, so the parts count is getting there. It still needs the rear lights, correct rear wings, semaphores, and correct interior - but will be an excellent project car. In fact I'd love to roll it without restoration, buff up the OG paint, replace the missing parts: what a sweet car it is. Oh and my friends managed to source a boxed NOS 25 horse camshaft as well. As well as what they describe as being "a box of interesting parts" covering both split and oval era Beetles. Perhaps it will include a set of hearts and ribbed semaphores for my 54 oval?

This weekend will be the Annual VW "get together" which includes a long cruise, wine tasting, owners meal, line up by the beach etc. (Portugal doesn't have the typical Bug Jam thing, nor Stonor Park vintage meet - this is as close as it gets.) So Vintage Vans will be represented by their unrestored 1951 11G:

UserPostedImage

And I've been invited to drive one of their other cars. Don't know which one it will be yet, but I think perhaps their 1959 sunroof beetle:

UserPostedImage

Photos to follow...
mattfromportugal
14 years ago
I've just noticed that I'd never updated this thread, so let me share with you the slideshow which features everything from early 50s split window Beetles, barndoors, oval cabriolets, ultra rare factory conversion high roof refrigerated vans, ambulances, projects, restos, my own oval and so on. Some amazing stuff, and more amazing stuff to be found. I've set myself a target of finding a late 50s split next year, as it's difficult for a family of four to camp in an Oval or single cab...

Vintage Vans slideshow .