leowagen
14 years ago
Hi there!

as you can see i'm a newcomer around here...

Awesome page, by the way! up to now my best research source on VW!

i have a doubt here, and need some help. I'm hunting a good project car... a reasonably good one, with working brakes and motor, something that could be enjoyed and driven while restored...

I have fallen in love with a matching codes 56, with a few incorrect items, remade interior (not so nicely, though, and not correct either) but really solid, no rust, and fully functional electric system.
On the other hand, i just found a '60, pretty nice, solid, complete and correct, and the actual owner claims to have original interior, and 95% factory correct... the 60 is almost 1500 US$ cheaper than the 56... and both are more or less rare in Argentina.

Any suggestions? :?: :roll:

thank you in advance!!
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
pre67vw
14 years ago

as you can see i'm a newcomer around here...

Awesome page, by the way! up to now my best research source on VW!

leowagen wrote:

Thanks, and welcome!

It's pretty difficult to make a recommendation, it depends on what you want from it. The '56 will probably be harder to find parts for and generally slightly less practical, but it's an Oval so i'd say more desirable.

My vote would be for the '56, should be a nice easy project to sort the incorrect items out.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
GKL 7
14 years ago
I would vote for the '56 aswell:d
leowagen
14 years ago
:lol: thank you guys...

Deep down, my wife and me want the 56...

It happened to had a bit of history, it is located 1500 km from my city, and it has some challenging taste for us :d

Hope the owner can wait a couple of weeks more while we close a business from which will take the needed money...

wish us luck!

JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
14 years ago
Does either have a sunroof?
I´d always go for a sunroof car.
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
leowagen
14 years ago
Nope...

none of them... :?
lifeintheslowlane
14 years ago
Even though I have a soft spot for the '60 (I owned one for 10 years) I have to say the '56 Oval is the more desirable car. Practicality isn't a factor...if it were we wouldn't consider any 50 year old car.
John.
leowagen
14 years ago
Hu there John. For sure practicality is no factor to take care about here... is a matter of VW fetish! :lol: our daily driver is also a volkswagen... a Gol. Sort of a "baby Golf" sold only in south america...

We used to live in Venezuela, and there we had 2 late 70's. The thing is, in our mother country, german beetles are hard to find, due the Brazilian and Mexican market. Even old Venezuelan Market! there was a Factory in Venezuela, during mid 70's up to mid 80's, where were produced Beetles, Brasilias, and a few squarebacks... those poor Beetles were kind of frankesteins built with sort of low budget materials, and presses and stapms from all over the world and from many different years... My 77 and my wife's 79 had Doors from 60's and early 70's, rear lights were early 70's and there were hybrid motors, single and dual ported almost in every production year.... production there was really messy.... the factory was called "Palmasola, cuna del Volkswagen Venezolano" (Palmasola, craddle of Venezuelan Volkswagen)... Was nice to have one of those, but were very crappy... and Venezuelan owners never kept them in the best shape you could expect...

So a german beauty for us is already a fetish item... and to be honest, the older the better... we'd also prefer the 56 babe...!

Thank you all for your enlightment!

By the way... i cant attach a picture... how do i do? would be nice to post here a pic of our frankenstein 77... if you guys let me to! i know post 67's are not so welcome around here...