14 years ago
rear- COMPLETE

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

turned round in the lockup, and now the front! 😎
55Kab
14 years ago
😎 ^^^ Looking good Rob. Any pics from Gav?

Robb
  • Robb
  • Guest Topic Starter
14 years ago
thanks martin, nope hes been too busy working on someones kab :lol: pictures soon though of the shell :d

ok, so last week a mate kindly sent me one piece of tinware to replace one of mine that had strangely gone rotten.

Just had to make a minor repair where it had been cut slightly, but after a bit of welding and grinding, its ready for powdercoat!

UserPostedImage

also got my rear seat back from Spirit of the 50's, Dave did a great job repairing the top section of basket weave. I finished it off today, reinstalling the carpet to the backside.

UserPostedImage
55Kab
14 years ago

thanks martin, nope hes been too busy working on someones kab :lol:

Robb wrote:

:wink: :lol: :beer:

Robb
  • Robb
  • Guest Topic Starter
14 years ago
still ive got the front end to detail yet, so theres plenty of time 😎

to keep the detail theme going....ive got a complete sticker set from Wolfsburg West for the engine. I also had the faded sticker that was on the air filter recreated and printed.... details details ;D

UserPostedImage
zelensis61
14 years ago

rear- COMPLETE

UserPostedImage

turned round in the lockup, and now the front! 8-)

Robb wrote:

I have one remark: Excelent work, altough I whould turn the rubber booths around the rear axl 1/4 turn front or back.
Like they are mounted...every time your wheel goes up and down, the booth will be pushed in and stretched out on the seam, and finaly you will end up with a cracked booth. When you turn the booth 1/4 , the forces are completely different on the seam. Do not worry of leaking oil there....there is not that much oil in it.
Greets.
ZELENSIS, coachbuilt body from the 50's on a vw platform made in Belgium. Peter the heb detective
Robb
  • Robb
  • Guest Topic Starter
14 years ago
Robb
  • Robb
  • Guest Topic Starter
14 years ago
well, the powdercoaters are super busy, and will have the tinware for a few weeks, so that will hold me up.

Ive cleaned up the exhaust and heat exchangers, and repainted them in the factory colour, and just in the process of cleaning up all the hardware.

Pics soon 😎
Robb
  • Robb
  • Guest Topic Starter
14 years ago
well i steam cleaned the long block at the weekend....much better, and also cleaned up all the hardware.

UserPostedImage

just waiting on my powdercoated tinware and it'll be back together again. Heads have been re-torqued, and ive replaced the oil cooler seals, generator pedestal & fuel pump gaskets.
Robb
  • Robb
  • Guest Topic Starter
14 years ago
well Gav at Trailer Queen Restos started on the rust repair yesterday, heres the latest-

Firstly he got the underseal off the front bulkhead and the small bits off the inner front wings then sandblasted around some of the rusty
areas.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Cut the n/s heater channel back to good metal and then trimmed the nos heater channel part i found (Thanks to Andylham) to size, fitted it in correct place and welded it all in.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Next he made a start on the bulkhead. Gav decided that it was best to fabricate the sections needed, rather then use a repro panel, so that the pressings will be the same as factory then. He will use the bottom of the inside off the repro one though, but did'nt want to put it all in (although it would have been easier) because the pressing marks were all wrong.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
beefykeefy
14 years ago
Sterling work so far; doesn't look like there are too many horrors lurking :d

Liking the attention to detail too.
Robb
  • Robb
  • Guest Topic Starter
14 years ago
yup, thats what i like about Gav, he makes it look all factory again :d if i hadnt of posted these pics when hes finished, youd prob have thought the car was totally unwelded and original :d
Robb
  • Robb
  • Guest Topic Starter
14 years ago
well ive been busy, have now restored the generator, its been dismantled, the end plates have been painted satin black and the body zinc plated, along with the coil bracket.

ive also stripped the front beam off, ready for shot blasting and cleaning up....found a nice hole in the framehead, so that will be dealth with shortly too.

engine tinware back this weds, so i should have the engine built back up and refitted to the gearbox by the weekend.

pics shortly when i get my work pc up and running. 😎
Robb
  • Robb
  • Guest Topic Starter
14 years ago
ok, heres the restored 6v generator and coil bracket.

UserPostedImage
Robb
  • Robb
  • Guest Topic Starter
14 years ago
ok, well Gav has been cracking on with the bodywork (pics next week), and ive finally been putting the engine back together, heres a taster.....gonna save the complete engine shot until ive finished it 😎

UserPostedImage

front axle has been dropped at the sandblasters, and then itll need a minor welding repair before being Por-15'd
waynemacvw
14 years ago

ok, well Gav has been cracking on with the bodywork (pics next week), and ive finally been putting the engine back together, heres a taster.....gonna save the complete engine shot until ive finished it 😎

UserPostedImage

front axle has been dropped at the sandblasters, and then itll need a minor welding repair before being Por-15'd

Robb wrote:

Looking Very Nice !
Robb
  • Robb
  • Guest Topic Starter
14 years ago
Thanks Wayne 😎
mooney3019
14 years ago
looking good ! was this car from Harvington near Evesham originally?
Robb
  • Robb
  • Guest Topic Starter
14 years ago
No, Great Witley nr Worcester why?
Robb
  • Robb
  • Guest Topic Starter
14 years ago
well the engine is virtually finished, just a few odds and sods needed which i will pick up this weekend, then post pics.

In the mean time, iv painted all the front suspension components, the last item to be done is the beam, ive had it sandblasted due to some rot at the bottom of the shock tower (its rusted from the inside out)

heres the pics

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

the easy thing would be to throw the original beam away and buy a new one, but my good friend at the Intergalactic custom shop is going to repair it all as factory. Itll get a few coats of satin black then.