55Kab
14 years ago
Is roping it off not a good alternative to not showing at all?

RockStock
14 years ago
HO09, a mother tells her kid (orange T) to not stand on the bumper[-x ...he's just removing it...I was too slow to get the camera out for a good shot!
UserPostedImage
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=652133 
The swinging camera...that's not a good one...

Answer is to have not too perfect a car? Trent's on to rope companies already:lol:
Here you go son. Market leader
Tensator Tensabarrier 
StockRocks
DeanoVW
14 years ago

Is roping it off not a good alternative to not showing at all?

55Kab wrote:

You would think that was a good option. However, I had a Beetle on show at the Volks World show in 2002 and a freshly painted cabriolet, a few cars done from mine, got scratched even behind the ropes.
:x
heb623
14 years ago
[quote=RockStock]HO09, a mother tells her kid (orange T) to not stand on the bumper[-x ...he's just removing it...I was too slow to get the camera out for a good shot!
quote]

No 😳 no[-x
The kid just stept in a dog shit ...
... and to scrape it of his shoe ...
... he would like to use the bumper...
... as a shoe scraper!!!:shock: :lol:

:twisted: ET
I ’ll never regret the things I did wrong!
I only regret the good things I did for the wrong people!
Etzhold1
14 years ago

[quote=RockStock]HO09, a mother tells her kid (orange T) to not stand on the bumper[-x ...he's just removing it...I was too slow to get the camera out for a good shot!
quote]

No 😳 no[-x
The kid just stept in a dog shit ...
... and to scrape it of his shoe ...
... he would like to use the bumper...
... as a shoe scraper!!!:shock: :lol:

heb623 wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: Is that because what happend today with you ET :wink:
I'll shoot the dog who dropped the shit at my mailbox !:twisted: :twisted:
Guido:wink:
GKL 7
14 years ago
Crazeee Belgians:lol: :wink:
heb623
14 years ago
George thank you for the compliment!:shock:
I told you before but also this words sound as nice music to me!!!:wink:
(Guido is a Belgian too but if he likes the words I don't know?)
But anyway I hope to see you soon so you can buy that promissed beer for me!!!:twisted:

I ’ll never regret the things I did wrong!
I only regret the good things I did for the wrong people!
GKL 7
14 years ago

But anyway I hope to see you soon so you can buy that promissed beer for me!!!:twisted:

heb623 wrote:

No Problem,for Guido aswell.The beer is on me.
2splits
14 years ago
For a group of people that seem to complain about the goings-on on the samba, I was surprised to see the knit-picking of this Heb by this group. While I agree the price is more on the 2006/2007 prices, the fact is this car is well known, has a proven track record, and is nice shape. Bill Collins has done a tremendous amount for this hobby, put a TON of miles on this car in at least two continent, so a little bit of respect is warranted. Goes to say, if you think the price is too high, don't buy it.
Kevin

-51 Split Rag
-58 Ghia Cab with Okrasa
-57 356
oval56
14 years ago

For a group of people that seem to complain about the goings-on on the samba, I was surprised to see the knit-picking of this Heb by this group. While I agree the price is more on the 2006/2007 prices, the fact is this car is well known, has a proven track record, and is nice shape. Bill Collins has done a tremendous amount for this hobby, put a TON of miles on this car in at least two continent, so a little bit of respect is warranted. Goes to say, if you think the price is too high, don't buy it.

2splits wrote:

there is no discussion on thesamba as i know.:idea: :?: if you open a thread on thesamba, the knit picking by the "special experts" will start as soon as a thread is started (headlights, rivets stamping color of, trim line, door gaps and where is the repop of what on the car....

knit-picking? sorry the asked price is high enough to point out details wich are wrong. this ist not to make the owner or the car bad, but the price wich is asked for a vw is in a range where it should be allowed to talk about things without being personal or disrespect somone's work.

just my 2 cent's
www.oval56.de
www.oval56.com

DBK Germany
pre67vw
14 years ago

2splits wrote:

So you're saying it's a high mileage car as well? :lol:

No disrespect to Bill Collins at all, but when you put a car up for this amount of money and it's not concours condition then people are going to find fault.

Where does the value of any classic car come from? Rarety is a factor, provenance adds value and then it's down to originality. We all know Hebs are fairly rare, who knows about the provenance previous to Bill's ownership? Which just leaves us to talk about the originality - why is it wrong to talk about this? Especially knit-picking such trivial items such as the lack of body number!

Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
48REME
14 years ago
It's funny how there have never been so many Hebmüllers coming out of the woodwork as there are now but how the prices still rise madly.:lol:

2splits
14 years ago

if you open a thread on thesamba, the knit picking by the "special experts" will start as soon as a thread is started (headlights, rivets stamping color of, trim line, door gaps and where is the repop of what on the car....

oval56 wrote:

Are you not doing the same thing here? Why does a high asking price warrant this reaction? My point it this is an area where you guys seem to bitch about how this happens on the samba, but because the price is "high", here we are.

Regarding the price, well, we all know that asking price does not = selling price. Drew goes after the big fish with these high prices, and if you have the deep pockets to play, you get the chance at the car. We all know, that in today's economy, people are way less willing/able to pay premium prices for these cars, so the likelyhood of selling this car at this price, is slim-to-none. But you never know. You can always come down in price...

I've seen this car in person, and its nice. No, its not perfect, but its a very well sorted, good car.

For $100k I would much rather have an early Karmann instead, but thats just my opinion.

Carry on.
Kevin

-51 Split Rag
-58 Ghia Cab with Okrasa
-57 356
pre67vw
14 years ago
I've not got a problem with theSamba, it's the biggest aircooled site in the world so they must be doing something right. Knit picking happens on all forums, for all hobbies - it's just a fact of life. Sometimes it's not justified (someone has only posted a photo of their pride and joy) sometimes it is justified (when someone asks $150k for their rare daily driver)
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
GKL 7
14 years ago
Kev,i've just read the whole thread again and don't think there is any major crititism of the car or owner.
The only negative comments were regarding the door gap of the drivers door and the lack of body number,both of which would truthfully worry me if i were to contemplate spending such a sum on any car.The price of these cars now is the price of these cars now, no matter how many are successfully sold many people choose not to admit to there value either because they don't have the money or would not choose to spend such a sum.

Don't think it sumounts to nit picking,just casual observation.
This is a close nit community,most of us know each other reasonably well,so what may appear as crititism,is often just chat between friends.
Any one would readily admit the good Bill has done for our hobby,i hope there is not a sad reason behind the sale of the car.

The car will sell and i think the asking price will be met.
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
14 years ago

If I was thinking of buying this car, I´d be pretty grateful to read this thread.
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
2splits
14 years ago

If I was thinking of buying this car, I´d be pretty grateful to read this thread.

JD wrote:

I agree with that.

I just always got the vibe from you guys that a major gripe about the samba was this activity - so to me I was surprised. I do understand the close-knit group thing too - but Bill has visited and posted to this site as well over the years. Just struck me, thats all.

Kevin

-51 Split Rag
-58 Ghia Cab with Okrasa
-57 356
48REME
14 years ago

JD wrote:

Exactly. If one is going to pay such figures for a car, it better be worth it right down to every detail and if it's not,
then there shouldn't be any surprise when observations are made.
Whether the car is too expensive in some people's view or not is another issue. The day this one sells, it will set a benchmark and
that will define how such a model, in that sort of condition, can be evaluated when the next one is to be put up for sale. True value in this subjective market of special cars can only be defined
by what the last one went for.
zelensis61
14 years ago
Hello all,
I can see the problem but I think it is an overreaction:oops: .
About the nitpicking on some cars it is always the same. The owner is not happy to discover that something is wrong, that is the same for friends of the owner. For someone who is not the owner it is rather easy to find something is wrong.
In some case the nitpicking is a good thing....see the topic on the VW38/06 . The details gave the identification.

I think it is all about details. I know that most of the hebs that are not yet restored have an issue with doorgaps. I know that this was in some cases solved by putting lead on the B pillar or door or on both. ( talking about mm's of lead) About the window logo...It is possible that this was even done in the factory. If a car needed to roll out and you have only left handed door windows....you put it in the car. Nobody can confirm this. Nobody noticed the bumpermounts in the back....I see late style. Remeber that this car is restored some years ago and speaking of 10 years ago or more ( it was in Camberg in 99) the restorations were on another level then it is now.

If you count that some Hebs are restored and then....restored again when discovering some issues I whould be glad that someone is pointing some things that does not look OK or could be made better.

Examples...
- Et's Heb. Restored and painted with a serious amount of money, soaked in a bath of accid after finding out some things ar not OK and then restored to a high level. COSTS....only ET knows:twisted: .
- Heb nr 6 : restored by Don Garries in USA, not to the highes level and before finished completely the poor man passed away with all his trouble, bought by a collector for a fair amount of money and now restored again ...starting from a bare body from zero. Costs: only the owner knows:shock: .
- A Rometsch, restored by an Italian profesional restorer for a big amount of money, sold to a collector and now in its second restoration- read rebuilding. Costs...only the owner knows.:wink:
Just some examples that we all know.

My granddad told me : everuthing gets sold one day. And he was dammn right:d .
If there is an asking price and you find a man who is willing to pay for it....it gets sold.
I am sure that everybody had find out after bying a part or a car that it is not that good as he tought....and thinking : Damn I whished that the part was discussed on a forum:oops: .

Bill's car is a nice example and the best thing...he drove it around hard. Some cars are sold and you never see them back.
Thanks Bill, for driving a heb regular. Just wished He drove it near my place...

Best regards.

ZELENSIS, coachbuilt body from the 50's on a vw platform made in Belgium. Peter the heb detective
oval56
14 years ago

Are you not doing the same thing here? Why does a high asking price warrant this reaction? My point it this is an area where you guys seem to bitch about how this happens on the samba, but because the price is "high", here we are.

Regarding the price, well, we all know that asking price does not = selling price. Drew goes after the big fish with these high prices, and if you have the deep pockets to play, you get the chance at the car. We all know, that in today's economy, people are way less willing/able to pay premium prices for these cars, so the likelyhood of selling this car at this price, is slim-to-none. But you never know. You can always come down in price...

I've seen this car in person, and its nice. No, its not perfect, but its a very well sorted, good car.

For $100k I would much rather have an early Karmann instead, but thats just my opinion.

Carry on.

2splits wrote:

what?? where do i start knick picking some details.. the only statement i gave was regarding the price, nothing more nothing less....

the thing is, if there would be an thread regarding this car we talk about, you would get the same :!: reaction but in an other forum... that was the thing i was talking about. no one is doing a personal critic on the owner or on his work.

other forum, see the 46 standard thread... :lol: :beer: hello :?: :!: 😳
www.oval56.de
www.oval56.com

DBK Germany