DarthMJH
13 years ago
I need to replace the heater channels on my 1960 convertible Beetle. As its a vert I need the strongest I can get, to keep as much rigidity as possible. I believe that Status and Heritage are meant to be quite good. Has anyone had any experience of these, or know where I may get better ones or even better good quality second hand ones?

Thanks for looking.

Mike
Mike
1960 Karmann Beetle Convertible
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
GKL 7
13 years ago

As its a vert I need the strongest I can get, to keep as much rigidity as possible.

DarthMJH wrote:

That strength is surely provided by the sill strenghening panels,the heater channels would have been a standard item.But i can see where you are coming from.
DarthMJH
13 years ago

That strength is surely provided by the sill strenghening panels,the heater channels would have been a standard item.But i can see where you are coming from.

'50 Karmann wrote:

That is true. I just want the best quality ones I can buy.

Thanks
Mike
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
13 years ago

That is true. I just want the best quality ones I can buy.

Thanks

DarthMJH wrote:

How bad are what is on the car now? Non-existant? I only ask as a lot of folks seem to repair them if at all possible.
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
DarthMJH
13 years ago

How bad are what is on the car now? Non-existant? I only ask as a lot of folks seem to repair them if at all possible.

JD wrote:

Unrepairable I am told :cry:

My sympathetic resto is now a full blown resto. I only wanted the strenghters replaced and when the body came of the pan it was a horror story !
Mike
Kev
  • Kev
  • pre67vw Junkie
13 years ago
Apparently Gerson is in the process of making the dies for early channels. I saw his repro floor pans on the samba and they look spot on. Might be worth puting the resto on hold until his channels are available :lol:
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
13 years ago
I was wondering myself who makes he best and most accurate strengtheners for an early Cabrio/Kabrio?
UserPostedImage
DarthMJH
13 years ago

Apparently Gerson is in the process of making the dies for early channels. I saw his repro floor pans on the samba and they look spot on. Might be worth puting the resto on hold until his channels are available :lol:

nev wrote:

I wish I could, however someone is doing it for me and I am try to beat the VAT increase ! Its already costing more than I planned.
Mike
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
13 years ago

Its already costing more than I planned.

DarthMJH wrote:

I think the rule of thumb is "Double the number you first thought of and add a bit". Though even this is probably unrealistically low for an early cabrio.
UserPostedImage
Robb
13 years ago
i bought a status top quality german one, and had Gav at Trailer Queen Restos graft in some original vents and de-hump it. They are the best available imho at the moment 😎
DarthMJH
13 years ago

i bought a status top quality german one, and had Gav at Trailer Queen Restos graft in some original vents and de-hump it. They are the best available imho at the moment 😎

Robb wrote:

Great thanks for that. Its always best to get a recommendation rather than going in blind.
Mike