Rich Oakley
12 years ago
Haven't seen this nice UK Oval in a while...

https://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthread.php?t=738189 

Looks like it's going to be getting the serverely lowered treatment.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
lifeintheslowlane
12 years ago

Rich Oakley wrote:

Why won't children leave well alone.:cry:

John.
AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
12 years ago
He says its the best he's ever driven then he's gonna dump it in the weeds :thumbdn: . -- Burk -- I suppose he thinks it will look cooooooooool. Its just boaring there like a lot of sheep ( sorry an insult to sheep ) Rant over have a happy day :d :d :d :d :d :d

Andy W
64rotbox
12 years ago
https://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=17059 

We've been here before... unfortunately. That Oval's new owner shows up on page 3.
You can call me Al.
lifeintheslowlane
12 years ago
It used to belong to Steve Parsons from Totland Bay in the Isle of Wight. He was a member of the Hampshire club and used frequently, to make the ferry trip across The Solent to join our convoys to shows in the naughties.

It's one of the latest RHD Ovals in existence...built in the last month of production so Steve used to tell.
John.
rudolf hucker
12 years ago
I remember this Beetle, very nice one! Something always odd about the jack points though. Have seen comments on Kidszone regarding this nice car.

Awesome find, is it on its arse yet? gonna be the dogs danglies, sick, dig up the fookin weeds.

I am not from this land but it looks to me like.... 'Good english is went'

Hey Ho..................Oh to be young and have the wisdom of youth!!??

When I was a younger person everyone I know was customising Ford Anglias!!
Where are they now?

Anyhow must not grumble.

Life in slow lane. Is that your Beetle in pics on Kidszone?
lifeintheslowlane
12 years ago

rudolf hucker wrote:

Hi Rudolf...how is life in Albania...hope the refugee trafficing and gun-running business is still holding-up.:smile:

Yes I'm afraid my old Beetle features in those pictures on "Kidzone"...nice of you to remember it.

John.
Old Blue
12 years ago

Why won't children leave well alone.:cry:

lifeintheslowlane wrote:

Sounds a little like my dad. Ive decided to do same with my oval with consideration to easy return to og spec. Dad has OldBlue our 68 now which has always been in the family and he wont let me touch.I think this site should loosenup a little its better that like the car of this thread that its been pulled out from long lost and used and enjoyed as intended when it was built. Too many oddballs owning numerous bugs that they cant use. Dad has Oldblue but its a car that doesnot qualify for the pre67 bit being a 68.
1956 VW Beetle, 1962 Morris Minor, 1968 VW Beetle (Old Blue), 1972 Morris Mini, 2005 MGTF

Blue, blue, Electric Blue, that's the colour of Old Blue!
Old Blue
12 years ago

rudolf hucker wrote:

I attempted to join VZ but I couldnt get past the stupid questions bit you need to answer to join it.what is the IQ with this sites owners?
1956 VW Beetle, 1962 Morris Minor, 1968 VW Beetle (Old Blue), 1972 Morris Mini, 2005 MGTF

Old Blue
12 years ago

Rich Oakley wrote:

Amazed to see this guy a longterm member of VZone. What answers did he give to the base questions needed to answer to join.Its popular though:?

Mike Peckham
12 years ago

Sounds a little like my dad. Ive decided to do same with my oval with consideration to easy return to og spec. Dad has OldBlue our 68 now which has always been in the family and he wont let me touch.I think this site should loosenup a little its better that like the car of this thread that its been pulled out from long lost and used and enjoyed as intended when it was built. Too many oddballs owning numerous bugs that they cant use. Dad has Oldblue but its a car that doesnot qualify for the pre67 bit being a 68.

Old Blue wrote:

You raise some good points Jon, it’s always a contentious issue though and I think the underlying worry for people who have been in the scene for a long time, is that modifying a car from stock almost always leads to it’s early demise. Lowering a VW has all kinds of detrimental effects on the running gear, the rear wheel bearings for example become starved of oil when the half shaft tubes are in a constant state of negative camber. In addition, the fulcrum plates are constantly under stress on a lowered VW and become distorted.

Swapping the front axle for another and keeping the original for later replacement is a laudable plan, but it’s a lucky few that manage to make it back to stock height and stock running gear before the damage to the underside, the additional fatigue on the body and chassis (due to lack of springing) and the accelerated wear on the rear axle and transmission put the car beyond the interest of the type of collector who is looking for a stock classic to keep and maintain for the long term.

As regards loosening up, this has been said before and again I can see why you raise it, but the fact is that there are loads of places on the net for people to go to and talk about modified cars, but very few where the talk is restricted to stock cars – and there is a hard core of people for whom this is their interest.

I take your point though about people who have large collections of cars that never see the light of day, the bottom line of course is that it’s up to the owner to do with their car what they will and to drive it, show it or keep it locked away. Personally, I think it’s a shame to keep old and interesting cars locked away for years on end out of sight, it has to be better for the car to be used occasionally and it’s great for other enthusiasts to get to see them from time to time too.

Like your Dad, I too have a post ’67 stock VW that I have known since new (it was my Dad’s), I also have a post ’67 stock RHD UK supplied Cabrio with less than 40,000miles on the clock and I would like there to be a section on here where we could discuss post ’67 stock cars, it’s been raised before, but there was insufficient interest I think – perhaps we should raise it again? :wink:

Mike :thumbup:

July 1957 UK supplied RHD Oval. 1972 World Champion Beetle. 1978 UK supplied RHD 1303LS Cabriolet. 1973 UK supplied RHD 1303s.
Old Blue
12 years ago
A good reply Mike. I know that Jon's intentions are genuine and he loves his oval Beetle, but I agree its rare for altered cars such as this to ever get put back to original.

If I go out to look to buy a vintage Beetle, I'm not going to view a car that's been in the hands of the lowered brigade, with the exception of maybe a split or an early cabrio.

Regards to Old Blue, the car has always been with our family like yours, originally my father's pride and joy. There's some excellent late 60s-70s Beetles around, these cars are now ancient and collectable. A nice original 68 on is more interesting to many than an altered earlier car. I think being pre 1967 is maybe holding back growth of this site.

That VoksZone site seems to be flourishing very well.

RoRoVw
12 years ago

You raise some good points Jon, it’s always a contentious issue though and I think the underlying worry for people who have been in the scene for a long time, is that modifying a car from stock almost always leads to it’s early demise. Lowering a VW has all kinds of detrimental effects on the running gear, the rear wheel bearings for example become starved of oil when the half shaft tubes are in a constant state of negative camber. In addition, the fulcrum plates are constantly under stress on a lowered VW and become distorted.

Swapping the front axle for another and keeping the original for later replacement is a laudable plan, but it’s a lucky few that manage to make it back to stock height and stock running gear before the damage to the underside, the additional fatigue on the body and chassis (due to lack of springing) and the accelerated wear on the rear axle and transmission put the car beyond the interest of the type of collector who is looking for a stock classic to keep and maintain for the long term.

As regards loosening up, this has been said before and again I can see why you raise it, but the fact is that there are loads of places on the net for people to go to and talk about modified cars, but very few where the talk is restricted to stock cars – and there is a hard core of people for whom this is their interest.

I take your point though about people who have large collections of cars that never see the light of day, the bottom line of course is that it’s up to the owner to do with their car what they will and to drive it, show it or keep it locked away. Personally, I think it’s a shame to keep old and interesting cars locked away for years on end out of sight, it has to be better for the car to be used occasionally and it’s great for other enthusiasts to get to see them from time to time too.

Like your Dad, I too have a post ’67 stock VW that I have known since new (it was my Dad’s), I also have a post ’67 stock RHD UK supplied Cabrio with less than 40,000miles on the clock and I would like there to be a section on here where we could discuss post ’67 stock cars, it’s been raised before, but there was insufficient interest I think – perhaps we should raise it again? :wink:

Mike :thumbup:

Mike Peckham wrote:

Very well said, Mike. I'm in total agreement with you.

:thumbup:
ascort
12 years ago

Very well said, Mike. I'm in total agreement with you.

:thumbup:

RoRoVw wrote:

I am it total agreement too. Unfortunately it seems to be the start of a slippery slope when the modifications start. :cry:

One of the good recent posts was "Today I un-lowered my Ghia". :thumbup:
In my opinion the car looked so much more desirable after the re-work. Unfortunately the number of vehicles being brought back to original is far less than those being modded.

If one is to own a tidy old vehicle, surely it is better to have it maintained in a state where it captures the feel and looks that it would have had when it was in its prime. This includes suspension, drivetrain, engine characteristics, trim etc. Period mods are not that bad though.

Although it is not my preference, there is a place for modified vehicles, but I just wish people who choose to go down that path were less numerous and would use cars that have already been butchered as their choice of car to start with, and not original condition cars as seems to have happened in this case. :thumbdn:

Mark - Owner of 2 under restoration Australian coachbuilt Ascorts.
WayneMcCarthy
12 years ago
Great Points Made , Lowered & Stock , Post '67 ! I've Got My Foot in Both Camps So To Speak & Happen To Like All Things VW !
Some Car's That Are Lowered With Tasteful Mods can Be Quiet Nice ? & Of Course I Do Agree There Are To Many Very Proper Stock Cars Also Being Wrecked !
It Would Be Nice To Discuss Later Cars on Here From Time To Time !
"Mr Stock"
Rich Oakley
12 years ago
Now for sale...

https://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthread.php?t=744214 
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
59 Ragtop
12 years ago

Be great to see brought back to standard! Lovely interior.
GKL 7
12 years ago
Why did he bother touching it?
More sellable as a "slammed" car?
They call it a fashion trend.
I remember back in the 70's i used to wear Dr.Martins and 24 inch parallel jeans,that looked as stupid as these cars do. Victim.

Moan moan moan,yeah! i know "old fart".Heard it before.:wink:  293341_10150300952920755_540720754_8232122_404882883_n.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  380374_10150336862115755_540720754_8446641_1580599170_n.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
64rotbox
12 years ago
These people have 'reputations' to keep up. You don't get to be a 'scene' 'face' for nothing.

Yes, I'd hope that someone does buy it and puts it back to how it was, but would you pay £7.5k for a car that's been scraping manhole covers, even if only for a couple of weeks? They're never the same after being modded to that extent, no matter what anyone says.
You can call me Al.
AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
12 years ago
Yerrrrrrrrrrrr far better slamed in the weeds:thumbup: Could do with a roof chop as well to look Koooooooool :omg: :omg: :omg: :omg: :omg: :omg:

Andy W