lifeintheslowlane
12 years ago

When you click the link, you can begin to appreciate this cars special history.... and then realise that what this freddie bloke has done is vandalism, thinly veiled in the name of fashion.

Pipvan, I hope you return this car to stock height :beer:

beefykeefy wrote:

Yes the pictures were taken at Stonor in 2002...we'd convoyed up from Southampton. If anyone else has pictures from Stonor 2002 the car might be amongst them...it was up for concours judging.

John.
chrisbug91
12 years ago
I had no idea it was on the Isle of Wight, Im on the Island, when did it leave I never remember seeing it around.
1975 1300 (1 family owned)
pipvan
12 years ago
Beefy, i think thats harsh to freddie it was his car he should be allowed to finish the car how he likes and he was a top guy, but everyone is entiltled to there own view. Thanks guys for the links and i love the look of the bug in them dont like the eye brow thingys but the whitewalls look awesome. I will PM you for steves number when i figure it out.
57 Oval
62 Bug
65 Split
vintagebug
12 years ago

...Also i have never bought any whitewalls before and i dont think they are easy to come by can anyone help out any links or contacts

pipvan wrote:

These places sell whitewalls. (A word of warning- be seated before you look at the prices!... :wink: )

https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/page/volkswagen-beetle-classic-tyres 

https://www.northhantstyres.com/index.html 

https://www.vintagetyres.com/links.asp 

:thumbup:

Dave
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading"
pipvan
12 years ago
Cheers for links, what size tyre is ideal and off top of my head are wheels 15"
57 Oval
62 Bug
65 Split
pre67vw
12 years ago
Don't forget to try and get your discount from Vintage Tyres for being a pre67vw member...

Hi rob,

Yours is exactly the type of website we like to support. We would be happy to give all your members 5% discount and free UK mainland carriage.

I drive an aircooled VW myself so am always pleased to help others.. and stock is always the way to go for me ;)

Let me know if I can help with anything else – tyre pictures, information, fitting charts etc…

Thanks
Charlie
Vintage Tyres

Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Mike Peckham
12 years ago

Beefy, i think thats harsh to freddie it was his car he should be allowed to finish the car how he likes and he was a top guy, but everyone is entiltled to there own view. Thanks guys for the links and i love the look of the bug in them dont like the eye brow thingys but the whitewalls look awesome. I will PM you for steves number when i figure it out.

pipvan wrote:

You’re right of course, if you own a vehicle it is really up to you to do with it what you want, nobody can argue that. I’m sure Freddie is a top bloke too, but one thing that is difficult to quantify is the fine line between ownership and custodianship.

When we buy or own something that is new, in current production or otherwise plentiful, there is no particular pressure to do with it anything other than exactly what we want, that’s because what we have is replaceable and whilst it may be valuable it has little or no intrinsic historical or cultural value.

But any item, whether it be a car, a house, a piece of furniture or anything else that has outlasted its contemporaries, has a value that reaches beyond the fiscal, it’s history and story of survival means that ownership of it carries a responsibility to ensure that that story is given the opportunity to live on and grow.

As we get older the concept of custodianship becomes easier to understand, faced with our own mortality we come to realise that things we know and love will outlast us and their true value is not measured in money, but in the story that they can tell about us to future generations. With that knowledge and understanding, respecting and preserving it becomes the obvious thing to do.

I think this accounts for why many of the guys on here, myself included, frown when we see an old stock VW, a survivor, pass into the hands of someone who does with it something that detracts from it’s originality and in all likelihood will shorten it’s life.

The oval you have bought is lucky to have found you, you’re going return it to stock height, respect it and maintain it and hopefully protect it from the elements. That way it will outlive all of us on this board and be able to continue telling it’s story a long time after we’ve all gone.

That’s the difference between ownership and custodianship. :wink:

Good luck with all you do to the car and keep us posted!

Mike :thumbup:
July 1957 UK supplied RHD Oval. 1972 World Champion Beetle. 1978 UK supplied RHD 1303LS Cabriolet. 1973 UK supplied RHD 1303s.
vintagebug
12 years ago

Cheers for links, what size tyre is ideal and off top of my head are wheels 15"

pipvan wrote:

Yes, wheels are 15". If it's complete originality you're after then 560-15 crossply tyres are the ones you want. If you prefer radials, then I believe it's 155R15. I think you can get away with 165R15, but the 155s are the standard fit. Personally, I'm a bit of a buffer, so it's crossplies for me.
However, if you're planning on driving the car fairly regularly (eg more than just on the occasional nice sunny day) then the radials would be the safer choice.

Thanks Rob, I'd forgotten about the 5% discount from Vintage Tyres! That's made me think- how about a "sticky" of a list of companies that offer a discount on their products to pre67-ers?

Dave

Dave
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading"
pipvan
12 years ago
Cheers guys, will be radials as its going to be my daily for a while, but it is going to be garaged and cared for i think i will be keeping this car for life and im going to preserve it and try and gather all its history.
57 Oval
62 Bug
65 Split
lifeintheslowlane
12 years ago
How about pushing for new legislation concerning vehicles of historical importance.

Here's my take on it:

Failure to obtain consent before altering a listed vehicle may result in a fine or even a term of imprisonment. Local authorities can also serve an enforcement notice in respect of unauthorised works requiring owners to restore the vehicle to its former state. These notices can also be enforced for works carried out by previous owners.

I shall be talking to my MP shortly.:wink:
John.
RoRoVw
12 years ago

You’re right of course, if you own a vehicle it is really up to you to do with it what you want, nobody can argue that. I’m sure Freddie is a top bloke too, but one thing that is difficult to quantify is the fine line between ownership and custodianship.

When we buy or own something that is new, in current production or otherwise plentiful, there is no particular pressure to do with it anything other than exactly what we want, that’s because what we have is replaceable and whilst it may be valuable it has little or no intrinsic historical or cultural value.

But any item, whether it be a car, a house, a piece of furniture or anything else that has outlasted its contemporaries, has a value that reaches beyond the fiscal, it’s history and story of survival means that ownership of it carries a responsibility to ensure that that story is given the opportunity to live on and grow.

As we get older the concept of custodianship becomes easier to understand, faced with our own mortality we come to realise that things we know and love will outlast us and their true value is not measured in money, but in the story that they can tell about us to future generations. With that knowledge and understanding, respecting and preserving it becomes the obvious thing to do.

I think this accounts for why many of the guys on here, myself included, frown when we see an old stock VW, a survivor, pass into the hands of someone who does with it something that detracts from it’s originality and in all likelihood will shorten it’s life.

The oval you have bought is lucky to have found you, you’re going return it to stock height, respect it and maintain it and hopefully protect it from the elements. That way it will outlive all of us on this board and be able to continue telling it’s story a long time after we’ve all gone.

Mike Peckham wrote:

Mike - what you've said here is so true and you've expressed it perfectly. Anyone contemplating the purchase of a vintage Volkswagen (or vintage anything for that matter) should be asked to read your words first. Many thanks for sharing these thoughts.
Rob :smile:
beefykeefy
12 years ago

Mike Peckham wrote:

Spot on.

I'm sure freddie is a top bloke and I wasn't personally attacking him. However, I disagree with the notion that because it's yours, you can just do whatever you like.

If you had a listed property, you wouldn't destroy it's heritage by say, taking out the sliding sash windows, and fitting uPVC? Why should these cars be any different?

Sometimes this seems done just for the sake of passing notoriety, but I guess at least what's been done is reversible and it sounds like you will return it to stock height. Good luck :beer:

lifeintheslowlane
12 years ago
UserPostedImage

The Internet can get a bit scary when you realise what Google Maps can reveal. Just found Steve's address in my files so out of curiosity I typed it in. Don't know how old the image is.
John.
pipvan
12 years ago
Christ that's a good spot but what the hell is it doing in the bush:lol:
57 Oval
62 Bug
65 Split
lifeintheslowlane
12 years ago

Christ that's a good spot but what the hell is it doing in the bush:lol:

pipvan wrote:

This view better?..this one's from Google Earth, Street View.

UserPostedImage
John.
pipvan
12 years ago
Its definitely in the bush cheers for the pix
57 Oval
62 Bug
65 Split
lifeintheslowlane
12 years ago

Its definitely in the bush cheers for the pix

pipvan wrote:

Nope...he was very fond of that car...it's behind the bush in his front garden.

John.
rudolf hucker
12 years ago
Mr Peckham..........................Well said

Mrs Lifeinslowlane.................hmmm!.....I will be talking to my MP about a certain Charming Queer (Karmann Ghia) that has been modified without consent. I will not be visiting you in jail.

Love Rudy
freddie89
12 years ago
Awesome pics.

I am chuffed myself that it is being put back to stock height. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and can do what ever they like to their car. The reason I sold the bug with its original beam untouched was for this reason exactly.

Look forward to seeing it riding high again Phill :)

Let me know if you wanna sell the front beam/tyres :thumbup:

Freddie
pre67vw
12 years ago

Thanks Rob, I'd forgotten about the 5% discount from Vintage Tyres! That's made me think- how about a "sticky" of a list of companies that offer a discount on their products to pre67-ers?

vintagebug wrote:

Done.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW