AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
12 years ago
Intresting to see that the modded cars seem to be struggling to sell but the standards are:thumbup: Old Gits Rule 😛 😛 😛 😛 😛

Andy W
chrisbug91
12 years ago
Its such a shame whats been done to such an original car, thank god its nothing that can't be returned. Wish I could afford to save it 😞
1975 1300 (1 family owned)
Robb
12 years ago
someone buy it quick! bet its got plenty of dents and scrapes on the underside now :shock:
64rotbox
12 years ago
Well, perhaps he hasn't tw*tted this one into a kerb, at least...
You can call me Al.
1958 Harry
12 years ago
My '58 is stock with a few trick but period looking mods (most notably I have added indicators as I was fed up with near misses all the time with just Semaphores) but these have been disguised as period fog/reverse lights ;)

I have no intention of ever lowering it as it's a very original car body wise and he would lose his character if I lowered him. And personally I much prefer early bugs stock, however I do think 70's bugs look better modified as compared to 50's/early 60's bugs they are more bland looking, that's the same issue with buses, splitties look their best bone stock, but bays need some changes as IMHO they lack the character of the early stuff.

I always thinks it's a real shame tho when someone has a mint stocker that they modify, IMHO it would be better to get a rotter and restore it to how you want than ruining a very original car.

I have noticed recently that there is more interest in good stock cars than there used to be, and I'm thinking the 'fashion' is starting to sway back to stock, for now 🙂
Multi show winning magazine featured '58 Bug - Harry
2007 2.0 New Beetle - Mijj
59 Ragtop
12 years ago

Some good points there. Its definately a "fashion" thing. As we all know standard cars drive so much better. Contorary to some opinion the veedub factory engineers did know what they were doing! You cant second guess an engineer....
pre67vw
12 years ago
I think that this may be one instance where higher prices are on our side, as the prices go up and these things get more valuable there is maybe less incentive to ruin them. Whether or not you think lowering is cool, there's no doubt that bottoming out does damage to the pan, and if you've just spent loads on your car then it's a pretty stupid thing to do.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
12 years ago
Not only damage to the pan but you starve the rear wheelbearings of oil and the strain on the inner fulcrum points with the constant angel thay are running not to mention the bumpsteer etc etc If you look at the hot rodders that do know how to modify there cars to lower the body thay channle the chassis or floor pan in our case:wink:

Andy w
Old Blue
12 years ago
I think its totally ridiculous, and such a nice right hand drive car too.

Jon's finished the '56 and now finds it a little awkward entering our driveway up the drop kerb without a scraping noise. He has to reverse in at an angle to avoid dragging the car.
1956 VW Beetle, 1962 Morris Minor, 1968 VW Beetle (Old Blue), 1972 Morris Mini, 2005 MGTF

Blue, blue, Electric Blue, that's the colour of Old Blue!
pre67vw
12 years ago

Not only damage to the pan but you starve the rear wheelbearings of oil and the strain on the inner fulcrum points with the constant angel thay are running not to mention the bumpsteer etc etc If you look at the hot rodders that do know how to modify there cars to lower the body thay channle the chassis or floor pan in our case:wink:

Andy w

AW wrote:

Yep, ive heard the problem with the bearings. But scraping the pan leaves bare metal exposed, then salt on the road over winter and pretty soon the car is a mess and in need of welding. But still, it looks cool so it doesn't matter :roll:
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
beefykeefy
12 years ago
I quite like tasteful mods on well chosen cars, but taking a survivor stock car and doing that to it just makes no sense at all. Even more bewlidering, is to spend all that money making it look that bad, then selling it on...

Thankfully the previous owner of my 67, chose to sell her Beetle to me only on the basis that I wanted to keep it stock, rather than the other interested buyer who told her he was going to lower it, de-chrome it and do all the other predictable stuff...

pipvan
12 years ago
I now own this car and i love it, not had chance to play with it yet but im going to make a few changes
57 Oval
62 Bug
65 Split
Robb
12 years ago
whats your plans? 😎
pipvan
12 years ago
Have not decided yet but at moment its way to low for me so it has to come up, im going to clean all the underseal off and see whats going on everywhere. I dont plan on altering the car at all apart from cleaning stuff up and eventually maybe a full resto but it really does not need it. Im also thinking standard wheels with whitewalls as i just like the look
57 Oval
62 Bug
65 Split
pre67vw
12 years ago

its way to low for me so it has to come up

pipvan wrote:

:thumbup:

Im also thinking standard wheels with whitewalls as i just like the look

pipvan wrote:

:thumbup:

Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
chrisbug91
12 years ago
Nice, are you going to return it too stock hight? I think thats what it deserves 🙂
1975 1300 (1 family owned)
vintagebug
12 years ago

...its way to low for me so it has to come up... Im also thinking standard wheels with whitewalls as i just like the look

pipvan wrote:

You'll be an instant hero on this forum if you do that! :smile:

Dave
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading"
pipvan
12 years ago
Will be going back up to stock height as thats the only beam i have to put on, but eventually i think i will come down just a bit but we will see. I have read a few of the posts about lowering cars and i guess you lot are not keen:lol:. i do actually like the look but where i live its not practical you cant drive anywhere. My split is stock height and the 62 will be down just a bit aswell when its finished. Do any of you know the previous owners except freddie i know him now, im just going to look to try and retrieve alot of the cars history if i can. Also i have never bought any whitewalls before and i dont think they are easy to come by can anyone help out any links or contacts
57 Oval
62 Bug
65 Split
lifeintheslowlane
12 years ago

Do any of you know the previous owners except freddie i know him now, im just going to look to try and retrieve alot of the cars history if i can. Also i have never bought any whitewalls before and i dont think they are easy to come by can anyone help out any links or contacts

pipvan wrote:

https://vwjudsonregister.tripod.com/steve_parsons_oval.htm 

I don't have an up to date email address for Steve Parsons...might have some more pictures somewhere...I'll need to check my files.

Edit: Can't find the original high res picture files but I did find Steve's phone number. PM me if you'd like it.
John.
beefykeefy
12 years ago

https://vwjudsonregister.tripod.com/steve_parsons_oval.htm 

I don't have an up to date email address for Steve Parsons...might have some more pictures somewhere...I'll need to check my files.

Edit: Can't find the original high res picture files but I did find Steve's phone number. PM me if you'd like it.

lifeintheslowlane wrote:

When you click the link, you can begin to appreciate this cars special history.... and then realise that what this freddie bloke has done is vandalism, thinly veiled in the name of fashion.

Pipvan, I hope you return this car to stock height :beer: