vintagebug
8 years ago
I know there doesn't sound much of interest in the above title to folk on this forum, but bear with me.....

I recorded the first programme of the above TV series (currently being broadcast on BBC1 Scotland) a couple of weeks ago, as I enjoy the wilderness, remoteness and scenery of the west of Scotland & the islands. Having a spare half an hour earlier this evening, I thought I'd watch it. The presenter, Paul Murton (no, not Paul Merton) was travelling around the island of Harris & Lewis, recounting stories of the history of the island and of some of the people who live & work there nowadays. He was walking along one of the single track roads, apparently in the middle of nowhere, when a vehicle pulled up and gave him a lift. It wasn't just any old vehicle though, it was a '67 split screen van no less. Doesn't that always happen when you're out walking on a single track road in the middle of nowhere?? :roll:

Of course, the scene had been staged for the programme, and it was set up so he could interview the local man driving the van that had stopped to pick him up. It was none other than a certain Mr. John Maher, he of VW drag racing & engine-building fame. Oh yeah, and The Buzzcocks :wink: . John seems to be heavily into photography these days, as the interview focused (no pun intended) almost entirely on his camera work. Although very interesting, I was also hoping for some chat about his VW work, but unfortunately it didn't happen. Which got me wondering if he still runs his VW business these days? Anybody know? His website doesn't appear to have been updated for almost a year, is he still into VWs?

Anyway, if anyone is interested in seeing the clip of John, or even watching the whole programme, it's currently on the BBC iPlayer. The chat with John starts at about 09:41:-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b06b7k4z/grand-tours-of-the-scottish-islands-series-3-1-west-is-best-lewis-to-harris 

Dave
Dave
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading"
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
8 years ago
It is interesting to see that a lot of people that were in to the car culture in there early days seem to move on to photograph. An interesting Post Vintagebug

Andy W