mmayson
16 years ago
Hi

Does anyone know the procedure for the removal of a heat exchanger on a 57 oval? I know you have to undo the 2 manifold bolts and the 2 exhaust bolts but i'm not too sure how you remove the rod which operates the flaps at the back? I have trawled the net but cannot find a suitable diagram.

Thanks Mike
Michael Mayson
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
Jules
16 years ago

Hi

Does anyone know the procedure for the removal of a heat exchanger on a 57 oval? I know you have to undo the 2 manifold bolts and the 2 exhaust bolts but i'm not too sure how you remove the rod which operates the flaps at the back? I have trawled the net but cannot find a suitable diagram.

Thanks Mike

"mmayson" wrote:

Could be wrong as it's ages since i've done it, but I think the whole lot comes off in one go, heat exchanger complete with 'flapper box' as I call it. Once it's off, the flapper box is held to the heat exchanger by one tin ware screw and one clip on the rod that you mention. Are you still going down the 'repair it' route? Good luck with it!
mmayson
16 years ago
I was going to get it off Jules and have a look, then decide on the best course of action. I will probably end up giving you a ring 😃
Michael Mayson
mmayson
16 years ago
Well, I am now an expert on removing and refitting 1957 oval heat exchangers. If you are planning to do it sometime with the engine in situ, I would recommend that you buy a set of metric S Spanners. If you don't, it is almost impossible to remove the top manifold bolt unless you have arms made of rubber! The flapper box does not come off with the j tube, you have to put your hand into the front flap cavity and remove the split pin and washer blind. The arm is then disconnected. You then, as Jules states above, undo the one tinware screw and the top part of the heat exchanger comes off no problem. Remember, no S Spanner, no way!
Michael Mayson