Etzhold1
14 years ago

And what relevence has any of this to the fact that this car has done twice as many miles as Rattlecrap.
So an old guy who lives 10 miles from his nearest neighbour is now branded a Liar outright,without question.
And this same old guy all those miles away, on his own, reading this forum is supposed to believe everything you say about Rattlecrap without question.
Practice what you preach John.

'50 Karmann wrote:

X10
Standard split
14 years ago

And what relevence has any of this to the fact that this car has done twice as many miles as Rattlecrap.
So an old guy who lives 10 miles from his nearest neighbour is now branded a Liar outright,without question.
And this same old guy all those miles away, on his own, reading this forum is supposed to believe everything you say about Rattlecrap without question.
Practice what you preach John.

'50 Karmann wrote:

You shouldn't alter people's quotes, and use of certain words/names is not nice 😳

whereas Rattlecrap was well publicised,

Standard split with '50 Karmann's help wrote:

Rattletrap's mileage claims made in public go right back to 1969, even then there was mention in the press. I have an article from a newspaper of that year which has a picture of Tony showing the car to local children. Rattletrap has the board on the roof even then displaying the mileage at that time.

For the period before that, Tony kept his own records of the mileage per year, which I have, and of which I am happy are correct.

And what relevence has any of this to the fact that this car has done twice as many miles as Rattlecrap...

'50 Karmann wrote:

Have you seen these 'facts' (the proof of such) for yourself:shock:

As for this claimed higher mileage 1963 Beetle in the States, there is very little around about this car. There is little to back up the history claimed by the owner for the public to trawl through unlike Rattletrap for which there is publicly shown items such as newspaper articles, magazine and book features, show displays and photos that go right back covering a period of over 40 years, a huge part of Rattletrap's 60-year existence.

I therefore consider the claims regarding Albert Klein's car at best as iffy. :wink:

X10

Etzhold1 wrote:

From the person that just dismisses everything as 'cr*p' anyway this is of no significance :lol:

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
Standard split
13 years ago

Standard split has two VW prototypes, a zwitter prototype, Ratteltrap of course and an actual Beetle prototype his Tatra :lol:

Ovaltine wrote:

Hey, and I was accusing you of never making a factual post :oops:

Top man, its good to see that some people here take information on board and learn about our excellent hobby :beer:

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
Ovaltine
13 years ago

Hey, and I was accusing you of never making a factual post :oops:

Top man, its good to see that some people here take information on board and learn about our excellent hobby :beer:

Standard split wrote:

There is a laughing smiley at the end though :roll:

I've found an interesting piece on the net about Albert Kleins believed huge mileage 1963 Beetle. News artidcle from 1987 😮

I'm not sure how to get it to here though :oops:

The way to end a good day out with your Split is with an Ovaltine!
Ovaltine
13 years ago
Here it is, July 1987 :wink:

Sorry about quality :!:  Klein_Record9.png You have insufficient rights to see the content.
The way to end a good day out with your Split is with an Ovaltine!
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
13 years ago
From the "somewhat iffy" Guiness book of records...

">>I quote, from my '94 Guinness Book of Records: "The highest recorded mileage
>>for a car was 1,442,044 authenticated miles up to 25 Jan 1993 for a 1963
>>Volkswagen Beetle owned by Albert Klein of Pasadena, CA."
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
Standard split
13 years ago

From the "somewhat iffy" Guiness book of records...

">>I quote, from my '94 Guinness Book of Records: "The highest recorded mileage
>>for a car was 1,442,044 authenticated miles up to 25 Jan 1993 for a 1963
>>Volkswagen Beetle owned by Albert Klein of Pasadena, CA."

JD wrote:

I'm not sure that I myself would call the Guiness Book of Records "somewhat iffy", in public too! (I couldn't afford a good enough barrister for the slander case brought by Guiness), but it would be fair to say that it is probably not 100% factual from front to back, given that some people very cleverly falsify claims for records, so something is sure to slip through :wink:

The Bible indeed also claims wonderful happenings, a few of which we know cannot be so :?

So it is with this 1963 Volkswagen, or is it a 1966 – no its a 1963. Mmm… maybe its a 1966 after all :roll:

If the year is in doubt, how can mileage be so accurately recorded :roll:

Maybe a little white '63 VW and a little white '66 VW share the total :evil:

The below statements are from various websites :arrow:  Klein 66 Record7.png You have insufficient rights to see the content.  Klein 66 Record6.png You have insufficient rights to see the content.  Klein Record4.png You have insufficient rights to see the content.  Klein 66 Record5.png You have insufficient rights to see the content.  Klein 66 Record8.png You have insufficient rights to see the content.
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
13 years ago

Standard split wrote:

Well, quite.
UserPostedImage
2splits
13 years ago
Its on the internet, so it must be true.
Kevin

-51 Split Rag
-58 Ghia Cab with Okrasa
-57 356
Standard split
13 years ago

Its on the internet, so it must be true.

2splits wrote:

So, and if its in the Guiness Book of Records it must be true :twisted: :roll: :lol:

Mmm… I do enjoy a Wurther's Original to chew on – but there really is nothing like good old home-made-toffee 😳

JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
13 years ago

I do enjoy a Wurther's Original to chew on – but there really is nothing like good old home-made-toffee 😳

Standard split wrote:

Can you ensure they really are original though?:wink:
UserPostedImage
Standard split
13 years ago

Can you ensure they really are original though?:wink:

JD wrote:

More original than old Rattletrap I'd be sure :wink:

I wouldn't like to confirm their age – a bit hard to chew 😶

But I know my beloved Rattletrap is from 1950, the year his mileage records begin :beer:

As for his rival a '63 or is it a '66 – a three-year discrepancy :roll:

54 Gertie
13 years ago

In the August 73 Safer Motoring there's their first 'ancient beetles register' list and Tony states that it's a 1951 and the chassis number is 1-0433703
(Which makes it early 53!)

VW Stan wrote:

Nope, no doubt as to when it was built. 1950 all the way. :beer:

(just saying to practice what you preach. :wink: )
William
Standard split
13 years ago

Nope, no doubt as to when it was built. 1950 all the way. :beer:

(just saying to practice what you preach. :wink: )

54 Gertie wrote:

Okay, we know that Rattletrap has had his fair share of replacement bits over the years, BUT his body number is very clearly stamped, and it checks out as 1950.

Chassis number very difficult to read, I think Tony misread it for that (in)famous Safer Motoring entry :wink:

GKL 7
13 years ago

Standard split wrote:

POT meet KETTLE:roll:
Mike Peckham
13 years ago

Chassis number very difficult to read, I think Tony misread it for that (in)famous Safer Motoring entry :wink:

Standard split wrote:

The chassis that Rattletrap rides on these days is a later one(post Aug 55) that was fitted in the mid seventies isn't it? Is this the one that has the difficult to read chassis number? If so, it would have little relevance to the chassis that was fitted to the car in 1973.

As for the number on the front clip, we've all seen the pictures of the rebuild. :wink:

July 1957 UK supplied RHD Oval. 1972 World Champion Beetle. 1978 UK supplied RHD 1303LS Cabriolet. 1973 UK supplied RHD 1303s.
Mike Peckham
13 years ago

Safer Motoring October 69 thank goodness this car did not become a coffee table.

UserPostedImage

samghia wrote:

So, if Tony was 35 in 1969 he would have been born in 1934, which would have made him 16 in 1950. a little young to be buying a brand new car methinks...

I'm beginning to think it might have been better if this car had been turned into a coffee table after all! :wink:

Mike 😎

July 1957 UK supplied RHD Oval. 1972 World Champion Beetle. 1978 UK supplied RHD 1303LS Cabriolet. 1973 UK supplied RHD 1303s.
Standard split
13 years ago

So, if Tony was 35 in 1969 he would have been born in 1934, which would have made him 16 in 1950. a little young to be buying a brand new car methinks...
I'm beginning to think it might have been better if this car had been turned into a coffee table after all! :wink:
Mike 😎

Mike Peckham wrote:

Well, no according to all the info and items that came with Rattletrap, Tony's 17th birthday was in 1950. But Rattletrap wasn't on the road with him until 1951, and Tony would have been 18 or approaching 18 by then. He was in the Services and would have been required to drive I would imagine. 😳

Body number 115511 (below – yes I need a better camera) checks out as 1950. Chassis number, difficult to read it, but it looks like 1-0183703, and certainly NOT an Oval ('55) chassis as you mention :?

The front clip was among many parts of the car's body that were saved and reinstated. The car has joins in many places. I hope to get some pictures together to show this – need a better camera – its difficult to capture the faint joins in pictures.

How could you ever imagine poor Rattletrap crushed into a coffee table :cry:

Rattletrap Body No.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Mike Peckham
13 years ago

Chassis number, difficult to read it, but it looks like 1-0183703, and certainly NOT an Oval ('55) chassis as you mention :?

Standard split wrote:

But the chassis on the car now has the heater control mounted forward of the handbrake, so post 08 '55 surely?

It's funny that even Tony's age seems to vary! :?

Mike

Ps: Even I don't really think that Rattletrap should be a coffee table, I think it's great that you have the car and if Tony were able to see us now he would be delighted to see us all still talking about it and happier still to know that it's in the hands of someone like you, so keen to perpetuate the mith he created! :wink:

Standard split
13 years ago

But the chassis on the car now has the heater control mounted forward of the handbrake, so post 08 '55 surely?

It's funny that even Tony's age seems to vary! :?

Mike

Ps: Even I don't really think that Rattletrap should be a coffee table, I think it's great that you have the car and if Tony were able to see us now he would be delighted to see us all still talking about it and happier still to know that it's in the hands of someone like you, so keen to perpetuate the mith he created! :wink:

Mike Peckham wrote:

Either way, Tony would have at least still had his 17th if not his 18th birthday in 1951 (although info I have points to it being his 18th that year). Also he'd have probably been driving around off public roads or abroad before 17 as he was in the Services.

Rattletrap's not a complete 'myth' though, more of a legend I'd say :beer:

Rattletrap will be available for all to see at Lavenham when it happens (and it will 'cause the council know Rattletrap's planning on going):wink:

I'll have to check out the heater knob position arguement – chassis number is certainly for a very early 50s :shock: