JULIANROBINSON
14 years ago

Shame someone just left it rotting away in his back garden for so many years,could have saved a lot of effort.

'50 Karmann wrote:

Who said it was left outside? :?
www.vwoval.co.uk
JULIANROBINSON
14 years ago

Good sound metal and structural repair, with good rust proofing and pre-paint preparation and primers so the car will last forever. Then a not too glossy (semi-matt for me) finish would be the way to go with the unrestored interior looking not too out of keeping. Make the paint all shiny with modern 2 pack and you'll have to restore (and spoil) the interior, and the old LOW will be no more, just another shiny restored Beetle :wink:

As for the worn driver's seat, sooner or later a decent original will turn up.

Standard split wrote:

I'm going to get the whole thing blasted... and see what comes back! :shock:

I think worrying about paint might be a long way down the line!

I think the chances of finging a decent front seat in grey for a 53 standard is going to be almost impossible...
www.vwoval.co.uk
48REME
14 years ago

I think the chances of finging a decent front seat in grey for a 53 standard is going to be almost impossible...

JULIANROBINSON wrote:

It looks to me like you have all-vinyl/leatherette seats as was mostly the case for British Standards, unlike their continental equivalents which had the herringbone fabric cloth.
This can be sourced easily...but whether the colour will match, that is a different story.
I think you will find a standard seat frame without too much difficulty. In fact, if you're near London, you should contact Luke at Terrys Beetle Services in West London. He still has the remnants
of a 1958 RHD Standard from which he used to have all the interior with original vinyl. Unfortunately, the vinyl is cracked and hard because the car was left in the cold and wet weather for too long...
Standard split
14 years ago

It looks to me like you have all-vinyl/leatherette seats as was mostly the case for British Standards, unlike their continental equivalents which had the herringbone fabric cloth.
This can be sourced easily...but whether the colour will match, that is a different story.
I think you will find a standard seat frame without too much difficulty. In fact, if you're near London, you should contact Luke at Terrys Beetle Services in West London. He still has the remnants
of a 1958 RHD Standard from which he used to have all the interior with original vinyl. Unfortunately, the vinyl is cracked and hard because the car was left in the cold and wet weather for too long...

48REME wrote:

There you are Julian, words of wisdom, so you can save most of LOW's patina original interior if you really want to. You cannot replace it once you've deleted it. These leatherette interiors are so much harder wearing than the cloth, you'll be surprised how they will sometimes turn-up.:wink:

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
Standard split
14 years ago

I'm going to get the whole thing blasted... and see what comes back! :shock:

JULIANROBINSON wrote:

Hell, I hope you don't:shock:

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
JULIANROBINSON
14 years ago

Standard split wrote:

There is only one way to find out how bad it is.. gently blast it and remove any rust, its the only way to make sure all the rust is gone and any bad repairs are uncovered. The repairs that are done should be all hidden so it will look like its not been welded.. much better than the braised, rusty mess that I have at the moment.

www.vwoval.co.uk
JULIANROBINSON
14 years ago
This was my last '53 pan

UserPostedImage

after a blast..

UserPostedImage

Some repairs by hayden at panel kraft -

UserPostedImage

Blasted again -

UserPostedImage

And powder coated..

UserPostedImage

should last for a very long time..

the pan for the Standard will be in satin finish.
www.vwoval.co.uk
Standard split
14 years ago

Standard split wrote:

I was thinking more the body:(

JULIANROBINSON
14 years ago

I was thinking more the body:(

Standard split wrote:

Yep, the body is rusty too.. so will be blasted.
www.vwoval.co.uk
Standard split
14 years ago

Yep, the body is rusty too.. so will be blasted.

JULIANROBINSON wrote:

Goodbye LOW old friend:cry:

JULIANROBINSON
14 years ago
:roll:

Would you prefer it wansnt done properly and didnt last? or maybe I should just leave it to rot more?

www.vwoval.co.uk
Standard split
14 years ago

Would you prefer it wansnt done properly and didnt last? or maybe I should just leave it to rot more?

JULIANROBINSON wrote:

I can understand blasting the exterior bodyshell, but preserve the paint and patina on the inside, cut some plyboard templates and put in the window openings:o

55Kab
14 years ago

There is only one way to find out how bad it is.. gently blast it and remove any rust, its the only way to make sure all the rust is gone and any bad repairs are uncovered. The repairs that are done should be all hidden so it will look like its not been welded.. much better than the braised, rusty mess that I have at the moment.

JULIANROBINSON wrote:

Exactly Julian, don't settle for anything else. When I left the scene in early 90's the term patina was not associated with VW's and genuine patina should not (as many do) be confused with RUST :!:

From your photos the car is very RUSTY so blasting is the way I would go. If you had found her, running, complete and with some nice old patina and I don't mean the whole roof down to primer etc I would consider leaving be, but from what I can see it's a bit beyond that. :wink:

pre67vw
14 years ago

I can understand blasting the exterior bodyshell, but preserve the paint and patina on the inside, cut some plyboard templates and put in the window openings:o

Standard split wrote:

I know what you mean, but easier said than done. Door pillars are probably bad at the bottom - these are inside the car. Rear quarters wrap around into the door shuts which is also inside, plus the heater channels etc. A nice original dash with scuffs on it feels like an old friend, but this would look really odd against a freshly painted exterior.

Some cars lend themselves to sympathetic restorations, others are too far gone. Full credit to Julian for taking on the job in the first place, lets not give him a hard time for doing a thorough job :roll:
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
14 years ago
I also think it´s well past the point of "preserving". I´m sure Julian will do his usual thorough job and get it looking nice and shiney and factory fresh again. Personally I can´t wait.
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
54 Gertie
14 years ago
It must be great, stipulating every aspect of a restoration, without having to spend a single penny.
William
JULIANROBINSON
14 years ago
Today I've been raising the standard...

With a little help from my friends... well Hayden 😃

UserPostedImage

www.vwoval.co.uk
JULIANROBINSON
14 years ago
Today the chassis was stripped...

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

www.vwoval.co.uk
JULIANROBINSON
14 years ago
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

www.vwoval.co.uk
Standard split
14 years ago
Julian, if you intent to keep us all informed on LOW's progress through the restoration which would be great, why don't you start a thread for LOW 😮

LOW 514 is one of my all-time favourite old Beetles and deserves its own space, and not mixed up with other stuff:d