JULIANROBINSON
14 years ago
I've changed the title of this thread.. there is too much information on the thread to start again.
www.vwoval.co.uk
Standard split
14 years ago

I've changed the title of this thread.. there is too much information on the thread to start again.

JULIANROBINSON wrote:

Nice, certainly a long handle though – I'll be following LOW's progress8)

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
Standard split
14 years ago

Nice, certainly a long handle though – I'll be following LOW's progress8)

Standard split wrote:

.....LOW's progress, the long road to recovery, leading straight back to my garage :twisted:

Keep that original paint inside :wink:

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
48REME
14 years ago

leading straight back to my garage :twisted:

Standard split wrote:

A little presumptuous isn't it? I get the impression Julian is one very happy owner of this car.:wink:
54 Gertie
14 years ago

A little presumptuous isn't it? I get the impression Julian is one very happy owner of this car.:wink:

48REME wrote:

Maybe he is just keeping it out of spite? :wink:
William
Standard split
14 years ago

48REME wrote:

I'm not surprised, LOW is one very special Oval8)

Standard split
14 years ago

Maybe he is just keeping it out of spite? :wink:

54 Gertie wrote:

Patience is my virtue :twisted:

I waited a very long time to acquire Rattletrap, the very special Split 😎

JULIANROBINSON
14 years ago
The chassis went for blasting this week -

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

It looks a bit cleaner and has more holes!

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

The chassis number is a bit wonkey!

UserPostedImage
www.vwoval.co.uk
Standard split
14 years ago
Would it not have been a good idea to have covered the chassis number with a metal plate to protect it, it looks rather faint now:?

JULIANROBINSON
14 years ago
Protect it from what?

Its not changed, it just not covered in paint any more... its always been faint and wonky..

I get the feeling that you think that blasting ruins things!

It only ruins stuff if you shoot the panels with rough grit at high pressure.

My guy can gently blast a whole body shell and not cause any damage / warping.

He goes slowly with the right grade of "grit" and at the right pressure...

www.absblasting.co.uk :wink:

www.vwoval.co.uk
Standard split
14 years ago

Protect it from what?

Its not changed, it just not covered in paint any more... its always been faint and wonky..

I get the feeling that you think that blasting ruins things!

JULIANROBINSON wrote:

Blast:!:

I'm just being over protective of LOW :wink:

JULIANROBINSON
14 years ago
Sent off for a Birth Certificate today too.
www.vwoval.co.uk
JULIANROBINSON
14 years ago
I sent off for a VW Birth Certificate last month - It just arrived.

Model: 11B, VW Sedan Standard, right hand Drive
Engine: 25DIN-PS, 1.1Liter
Colour: is not mentioned
Built on: 17th September 1953
Left Factory: on 23 September 1953
Country of destination: VW Motors Ltd, London / great Britain
Extras: M001 Chrome-plated bumpers, Hubcaps, Outletpipes, front indicator lights, tank Cap and door handles, in addition with trim strips and passenger sun visor
M020 Mph Speedo
M108 Custom model
M007, M008, M010, M063 cannot be identified

I got a sheet of paper from VW with colour codes for 1949 to 1955 and they have high lighted the fact that between 03.1953 and 12.1953 the only two colours for the Standard model were L21 Pearl Grey or L37 Middle Blue.
www.vwoval.co.uk
JULIANROBINSON
14 years ago
Anyone got any thoughts on the extra M codes or the chrome front indicators?

What about "M108 Custom model" ??

"Trim strips"?

"Passenger sun visor" ??

www.vwoval.co.uk
Standard split
14 years ago

Anyone got any thoughts on the extra M codes or the chrome front indicators?

What about "M108 Custom model" ??

"Trim strips"?

"Passenger sun visor" ??

JULIANROBINSON wrote:

I take it we are still talking about LOW here :?:

When I had the car years ago it was absolutely untouched original, albeit a little tatty and rusty – it had NONE of those items. A real rock-bottom Standard model.

The list shows that VW's records are not as accurate as people believe. They even think Porsche created the Beetle from scratch when in fact he swiped revolutionary features from the Tatra T97 :shock:

Makes Tony Levy's 1950 Zwitter pre-production prototype claim for Rattletrap's unusual features seem more plausible for sure :wink:

This last point continues on Rattletrap's thread – Rob's understandably redirected continuation to there :wink:

JULIANROBINSON
13 years ago
Think I might have found an engine...

Its the engine that came with my RHD CKD '53. Its in a 1000 bits and the appears to be a FEB '53 engine... with Factory rebuilt on it...

I dont think it is the original engine from the CKD as I think that it is a June '53 car and the original engine sit would have come with seems to have been a June '53 engine too... but that is missing...

I've ordered a birth cert for the CKD as it should confirm my suspicions...

and assuming it isnt the original engine then I have no problems using it for the Standard RHD '53

all i will have to do it build it :wink:

www.vwoval.co.uk
JULIANROBINSON
13 years ago
Just to make sure I've got an engine case..

I won one on ebay last night an August '53 case with barrels and heads... so still looking for tinwear etc.... but atleast I have something to re-build... and it was cheap! 😎
www.vwoval.co.uk
vintagebug
13 years ago
Check your inbox Julian! 🙂
Dave
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading"
JULIANROBINSON
13 years ago

Check your inbox Julian! :-)

vintagebug wrote:

Hello!
Sorry, the engine isnt for sale. Its the right age for this car. 😎
www.vwoval.co.uk
55Kab
13 years ago
Anymore updates on the bodywork side of things? We know you don't hang arond!