JULIANROBINSON
14 years ago

Any news of those other 2 Oval's you went to look at?

55Kab wrote:

a friend of mine bought one.. the other he decided to keep.. and the third .. in his barn, I'm in discussions with the other owner of.. I've not been back to find out any more.. maybe one day?
www.vwoval.co.uk
Standard split
14 years ago

a friend of mine bought one.. the other he decided to keep.. and the third .. in his barn, I'm in discussions with the other owner of.. I've not been back to find out any more.. maybe one day?

JULIANROBINSON wrote:

Any news on my old RHD Standard Oval LOW 514 😎

Will she get to be restored soon 😞

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
JULIANROBINSON
14 years ago

Any news on my old RHD Standard Oval LOW 514 😎

Will she get to be restored soon 😞

Standard split wrote:

Yes!

Nothing has happened yet, its in the welders que.. was due to be welded in June! You cant rush perfection so I'm told :wink:

We will get it back on the road soon... I'm thinking about striping it down and powdercoating the chassis when its been welded... just to make it last forever!
www.vwoval.co.uk
Standard split
14 years ago

Yes!

Nothing has happened yet, its in the welders que.. was due to be welded in June! You cant rush perfection so I'm told :wink:

We will get it back on the road soon... I'm thinking about striping it down and powdercoating the chassis when its been welded... just to make it last forever!

JULIANROBINSON wrote:

Good. I'll arrange for a transporter to deliver it to me when its all done :d

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
GKL 7
14 years ago

a transporter to deliver it

Standard split wrote:

Yes,because you'll never drive it:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Standard split
14 years ago

Yes,because you'll never drive it:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

'50 Karmann wrote:

You don't miss a chance do you '50 Karmann, not like your 'Hit' :evil:

GKL 7
14 years ago
:arrow:  Fish%20&%20Hook%20-%20Cartoon%201_0.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
JULIANROBINSON
14 years ago
LOW is now in the workshop.

The body bolts are out and tonight I'm going to brace the door gaps.

Then we can lift the shell off the 'pan.
www.vwoval.co.uk
JULIANROBINSON
14 years ago
I need a GOOD 4 Tab Bonnet and a set of good 53 Oval wings for this project.

I'm also after some repair panels.. I'll know more soon 😎

Let me know if you hear of anything. :beer:
www.vwoval.co.uk
JULIANROBINSON
14 years ago
This is the start of a very long "restoration"....

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
www.vwoval.co.uk
JULIANROBINSON
14 years ago
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
www.vwoval.co.uk
JULIANROBINSON
14 years ago
I've welded in some bracing -

UserPostedImage

Started to make sure it will lift off the chassis..

UserPostedImage

Patiently waiting for strong people to give it a little lift..

UserPostedImage
www.vwoval.co.uk
Standard split
14 years ago
Very big thanks Julian for posting the detailed pictures of LOW :beer:

It's certainly in the best possible hands with you :wink:

Will you be keeping the inside as untouched as possible:?:

I don't want too many memories erased when I get LOW back :d :twisted:

JULIANROBINSON
14 years ago
You see, this is where I struggle...

I want to restore it... but then I dont want to over restore and loose its character... but then what good is a "shiny" outside with a tatty interior?

The drivers seat is very poorly.. so needs a retrim so the rest will need to be done to match... and then there is the steering wheel... lots of years of character built up... all to be ruined by a restoration...

What to do? :?
www.vwoval.co.uk
54 Gertie
14 years ago
Nice! Apart from the odd patch and the bonnet it is in great condition!

With regards to the interior/stering wheel, perhaps leave them until after the restoration is finished. You can always have it done afterards, but you cant have it 'undone', if you catch my drift?

William
Standard split
14 years ago

You see, this is where I struggle...

I want to restore it... but then I dont want to over restore and loose its character... but then what good is a "shiny" outside with a tatty interior?

The drivers seat is very poorly.. so needs a retrim so the rest will need to be done to match... and then there is the steering wheel... lots of years of character built up... all to be ruined by a restoration...

What to do? :?

JULIANROBINSON wrote:

Good sound metal and structural repair, with good rust proofing and pre-paint preparation and primers so the car will last forever. Then a not too glossy (semi-matt for me) finish would be the way to go with the unrestored interior looking not too out of keeping. Make the paint all shiny with modern 2 pack and you'll have to restore (and spoil) the interior, and the old LOW will be no more, just another shiny restored Beetle :wink:

As for the worn driver's seat, sooner or later a decent original will turn up.

GKL 7
14 years ago

Good sound metal and structural repair, with good rust proofing and pre-paint preparation and primers so the car will last forever. Then a not too glossy (semi-matt for me) finish would be the way to go with the unrestored interior looking not too out of keeping. Make the paint all shiny with modern 2 pack and you'll have to restore (and spoil) the interior, and the old LOW will be no more, just another shiny restored Beetle :wink:

As for the worn driver's seat, sooner or later a decent original will turn up.

Standard split wrote:

Shame someone just left it rotting away in his back garden for so many years,could have saved a lot of effort.
Standard split
14 years ago

Shame someone just left it rotting away in his back garden for so many years,could have saved a lot of effort.

'50 Karmann wrote:

These things happen with people not bothering to care for their old cars, although I thought it was kept under cover, no window glass and all, but at least LOW is in good hands now :beer:

GKL 7
14 years ago

These things happen with people not bothering to care for their old cars

Standard split wrote:

I give up:roll:
JULIANROBINSON
14 years ago

Nice! Apart from the odd patch and the bonnet it is in great condition!

With regards to the interior/stering wheel, perhaps leave them until after the restoration is finished. You can always have it done afterards, but you cant have it 'undone', if you catch my drift?

54 Gertie wrote:

Its lots worse then it looks in the photos!

The floor has huge BRAISED plates on it..

The body has lots of holes.
www.vwoval.co.uk