14 years ago

thanks Martin, will look even more complete with your bumper mounts 😎

Robb wrote:

:wink: :beer:
Robb
  • Robb
  • Guest Topic Starter
14 years ago
installed the anti roll bar today, with all new genuine clamps. Also sorted the fan clearance on the fanhousing, and set up the thermostat.

Just the front shocks to fit, and one bit of tinware and its ready for the final welding to the framehead and jacking points
waynemacvw
14 years ago

ok, so the front suspension is all detailed and back together bar the shocks which are being paint detailed at the moment. everything was blasted and powdercoated satin black apart from the beam, which was blasted and POR 15'd, then flatted and painted in 2k satin black to get the right factory colour.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

the framehead wasnt painted as it requires some surgery with the welder in the next few weeks, then the pan will be already for the body.

Robb wrote:

Looking Good Rob , Some Great Work !
Robb
  • Robb
  • Guest Topic Starter
13 years ago
thanks Wayne :)

more work by Gav last week, he uncovered another bad previous repair, so straightened it nicely.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

hes also finished off inside too 😎

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

onto the drivers side hopefully this week 😎

Robb
  • Robb
  • Guest Topic Starter
13 years ago
bit of etch on the front inner wing, rust? what rust ;)

UserPostedImage

rear bumper mount still to be fitted, but new hookys inner wing panel installed

UserPostedImage
54 Gertie
13 years ago
Robb, does Steve do these type of mounts? I've always thought these to be '66 and '67 model only?

UserPostedImage

The type he seems to sell are the '60 up until '66 year model era?

UserPostedImage
William
Robb
  • Robb
  • Guest Topic Starter
13 years ago
good spot ;)

no Hooky doesnt make the correct mounts for my 67, which are actually 65-67 pressings. It was important to me to have the correct style mounts on this car.

I had Hooky especially make me some of just the inner wing panels (without the the mount) and then Martin (also off this forum) has provided me with some og metal mounts which Gav will drill off a rear clip which he has in stock ready for his ragtop project 😎

54 Gertie
13 years ago
Nice. 😎 So, they are '65 model too?

Doing a sterling job.
William
Robb
  • Robb
  • Guest Topic Starter
13 years ago
yer i did a bit of research on em, as i thought they were 67 only mounts. and after seeing 65-67 cars all with the same mounts, im glad i did look into it further, rather then just have the incorrect mounts fitted. 😎
54 Gertie
13 years ago

yer i did a bit of research on em, as i thought they were 67 only mounts. and after seeing 65-67 cars all with the same mounts, im glad i did look into it further, rather then just have the incorrect mounts fitted. 😎

Robb wrote:

Learn something new everyday. 😎
William
Rich Oakley
13 years ago
I always thought those rear mounts were '66/'67 only and not '65.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
mooney3019
13 years ago
mine has em and it oe.
55Kab
13 years ago

bit of etch on the front inner wing, rust? what rust

Robb wrote:

Starting to come along now Rob. Looks really good.

Rich Oakley
13 years ago

mine has em and it oe.

mooney3019 wrote:

This is a pic of your car (1965). They appear to be the early ones.
UserPostedImage

47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
Robb
  • Robb
  • Guest Topic Starter
13 years ago
yer they are prob 66-67 only mounts, but some late 65's prob got them too. I did put a thread up on this issue somewhere, but cant find it now.

more pics very soon.8)
Robb
  • Robb
  • Guest Topic Starter
13 years ago
right heres the pics!

with all the fibreglass removed from the drivers inner wing, it revealed mostly rot free og metal

UserPostedImage

The shell was then dropped onto a pan to check alignment, before chopping out the rotten channel and fitting the new one

UserPostedImage

the lower hinge pin was replaced, to correct the wear and movement, and all fits much better now.

heres the channel welded in. the crap heater vent will be cut out and replaced with a section from an og channel and also the 68-heater hump cut and plated flat, to all look og factory.

UserPostedImage

Gavs still gotta finish off the metal around the channel, but its getting there. Im extremely happy.

UserPostedImage
mooney3019
13 years ago
looking good, looking forward to seeing around the roads in warks
opl505e
13 years ago
I know it is extra work but the channel that you have replaced is the same as the one I fitted to both sides. I took the bottom off the channels and found hardly any paint and already rusty new channel.

UserPostedImage

To rectify I took the bottom plate off, then on seeing how the OEM New VW Heater channels are inside I welded a 3mm x height of the channel to the inside of the outer running board side of the channel the full length of the channel (where running board attaches) in doing this I took off the running board captive nuts and drilled and tapped the 3mm strip in situe.

Then thoroughly coated the inside with por15 although now I would use Epoxy mastic 121

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
Hookeys Channel closing panel

UserPostedImage

If I were you I would get the bottom closing panel taken off, the thouroughly paint the inside with epoxy mastic 121 then complete the panel with a hookeys bottom closing plate.

I made my own panels for the inner rear suspension out of 16 gauge as well as the closing panel and the door pillar I went for thickness over originality oh and a custom 16 Gauge floorpans as the thicker quality ones were not available then

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Epoxy Mastic all under, will never rust

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

what I started with......

UserPostedImage

Robb
  • Robb
  • Guest Topic Starter
13 years ago
thanks for the advice, but im sure Gav has it all covered 🙂 hes done a few of these now ;)

if your unaware of his work, check out his blog 😎

https://trailer-queen-restos.skynetblogs.be/ 
beefykeefy
13 years ago

Epoxy mastic rules :beer:

Is Gavin going to give the insides of the channels a good squirt of Waxoyl?