CNE789
13 years ago

heres the channel welded in. the crap heater vent will be cut out and replaced with a section from an og channel and also the 68-heater hump cut and plated flat, to all look og factory.

Robb wrote:

Thanks for sharing the pics, really helpful.

Who is the manufacturer of the replacement heater channels and/or where did you buy them?

It seems difficult to get good quality correct pattern ones for my 1965 Beetle.

H.

Searching information about Beetles in military service - especially post-war.

opl505e
13 years ago

Thanks for sharing the pics, really helpful.

Who is the manufacturer of the replacement heater channels and/or where did you buy them?

It seems difficult to get good quality correct pattern ones for my 1965 Beetle.

H.

CNE789 wrote:

best to get original later VW ones and convert them, see if karmann konnection can get them
opl505e
13 years ago
These are the beauties you need to track down, you can see the quality difference straight away, then convert to 66 fish gills

UserPostedImage

https://www.oeveedub.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=oe&Product_Code=111-801-046L&Category_Code=vert-specials 
CNE789
13 years ago

best to get original later VW ones and convert them, see if karmann konnection can get them

opl505e wrote:

Thanks. Seem to be the only way to get good quality ones. Quite a lot of work in itself, as one needs to graft the inner channel in as well as the fish gills and smooth the inner rocker.

Hope someone will invest in fabricating good quality pre `67 channels on the market, as there must be a market out there!

Searching information about Beetles in military service - especially post-war.

Robb
  • Robb
  • Guest Topic Starter
13 years ago

Epoxy mastic rules :beer:

Is Gavin going to give the insides of the channels a good squirt of Waxoyl?

beefykeefy wrote:

yes mate.

This channel was from status and are top quality german steel ones. The genuine ones aren't or weren't available.

If you want the best go to Trailer Queen Restos.

Time to get this thread back on track 😉
opl505e
13 years ago
Yes mine were the same ones from Barclay at status VW

Seriously Im sure that your restorers are excellent, Ive seen their work and it is an amazing work of art.

Im just a guy who has been there looking out for you with what I found when I got these channels, the inner tube is VERY thin metal and is in the way of thoroughly painting the inside of the channels both channel and tube had hardly any paint on them and were already rusting. The status ones are black on the outside but on opening there was not alot of black paint at all, I just don't want you to go through all the restoration without a heads up.

UserPostedImage

Kind regards

Matt Keen
Robb
  • Robb
  • Guest Topic Starter
13 years ago
thanks, i do apppreciate your concern, but im not a newbie at this restoring lark, been in the scene for a fair few years now.

Gav also has been in the scene for 20 odd years, and has had countless show winning vws hes restored.

More updates this week hopefully 😎
55Kab
13 years ago

Gav also has been in the scene for 20 odd years, and has had countless show winning vws hes restored

Robb wrote:

Yeah he's not bad for a beginner is he...... :oops: :lol:

opl505e
13 years ago
:d
Robb
  • Robb
  • Guest Topic Starter
13 years ago
had a few hours today, so spent it tidying up the pans themselves. With the temp being up to 25 degrees today, i wheeled the chassis out into the sun and let the og tar boards heat up for a while, then once soft, i managed to peel them off in one piece.

Friday the chassis goes off to a friend of mine, who also restores anything classic, and hes going to give the pans a little tickle with the welder, and repaint them all satin black. I'll then stick the og tar boards back down. :wink: gotta be og 😎 all ready for the body to delivered when its ready.

pics on friday 😎
Robb
  • Robb
  • Guest Topic Starter
13 years ago
chassis all safely dropped off. here it is ready for loading 😎

UserPostedImage
Robb
  • Robb
  • Guest Topic Starter
13 years ago
im desperately looking for a NOS or rust free 67 only rear valance. Also after the washer bottle area too, if anyone knows of one?8)
opl505e
13 years ago
Try Chris VW Emporium for the valance he does trips over to germany in search of rare parts, he had a 67 nos rear the other week but sold it as quick as he got it, not cheap
zelensis61
13 years ago

chassis all safely dropped off. here it is ready for loading 😎

UserPostedImage

Robb wrote:

Looking good...but why transport the body on the truck bed and the floorpan on the trailer? :lol:

ZELENSIS, coachbuilt body from the 50's on a vw platform made in Belgium. Peter the heb detective
Robb
  • Robb
  • Guest Topic Starter
13 years ago
yup tried chris, he has none right now. i have a few leads 😎
Robb
  • Robb
  • Guest Topic Starter
13 years ago
well thanks to my new friend Gary from america, i now have an NOS rear valance for the car winging its way to Gav in cornwall. Still has all the vw labels on it.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Gav decided its best to replace the whole thing as there were some previous patches and rust on the inside, and the rubber seal channel had started to crumble too.
55Kab
13 years ago

Still has all the vw labels on it.

UserPostedImage

Robb wrote:

Nice find, that's almost too good to fit Rob. It's one of those garage wall ornaments surely? :wink:
Robb
  • Robb
  • Guest Topic Starter
13 years ago
haha, not for the price i paid, its going on the car for sure! :lol:
opl505e
13 years ago
Nice valance, im casually looking for one, do you have anyone worth me trying.

Matt
Robb
  • Robb
  • Guest Topic Starter
13 years ago
no one in the uk.

I have a few friends in the US that gave me some leads. This one is coming from Texas

Axel Stuber in germany had one.

Hope you have deep pockets ;)