opl505e
13 years ago
just wondering how bad your old valance is and if you want to sell it :)

Im a metal mender and would be interested even if only the top section is good
Robb
  • Robb
  • Guest Topic Starter
13 years ago
from what i understand, the upper metal is ok, so once its back we'll come to some sort of a deal.

8)
opl505e
13 years ago
splendid

Regards

Matt
Robb
  • Robb
  • Guest Topic Starter
13 years ago
a pic of when i rediscovered it a few years ago, on Brighton seafront, shame those pressed number plates arent still on it :cry:

UserPostedImage
Robb
  • Robb
  • Guest Topic Starter
13 years ago
well been down to my mates classic car restoration business, whos repairing edges of the floors. got busy with the power file, and started to bare metal the surface rust areas.

this is the passenger side all solid, bit of smoothing, some paint and its done
UserPostedImage

drivers side was worse, especially as some botcher had got to it previously, but looking good, little more fettling tomorrow
UserPostedImage

pans will be rubbed down and painted- all joints butt welded to be invisible
UserPostedImage

more tomorrow
Robb
  • Robb
  • Guest Topic Starter
13 years ago
more progress, drivers back corner of the pan all finished, and both pans have been sanded and cleaned up ready for paint. The underside has had some flakey underseal removed, and will be painted and re-undersealed tomorrow when the chassis is on the ramp.

some mre nice holes were found in the framehead, so these were dealt with
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

and finished off the framehead with some red oxide, itll get another coat in the morning, before being schulz'ed. and painted black.

UserPostedImage

and an arty one to finish off

UserPostedImage

Robb
  • Robb
  • Guest Topic Starter
13 years ago
well more work today- the pan is now all finished on the welding front.

all loose underseal removed and surface rust spots bare metalled and primed. the underseal will be blended into the factory stuff at a later date.

tomorrow the framehead will be stonechipped and top coated in 2k satin black.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
Robb
  • Robb
  • Guest Topic Starter
13 years ago
another update from Gav.

Hes spent a little bit of time between jobs unpicking the old inner front panel and the new panel ready to get blasted and fit.

The top part of the spare wheel well is rusty too, but fortunately the new section has that part still attatched to it so he will repair that bit too before the reservoir panel is fitted.

Gav has also started unpicking the rusty bumper mount on the drivers side ready to fit the new hooky panel. Once thats fitted the new/old bumper mounts will be installed following with nos valance.

heres the donor panel i sourced

UserPostedImage

not full of filler or fibreglass like the old one ;)

UserPostedImage

the old one cut out
UserPostedImage

Rust section, top of wheel well
UserPostedImage

Donor section to be let in.
UserPostedImage

more soon
Robb
  • Robb
  • Guest Topic Starter
13 years ago
more done!

masked off for the underside to be sprayed with rubberised stonechip that looks like factory underseal.
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

pan rolled off the lift to be masked for the topside to be 2k primed
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

all primed and left outside to bake for a few mins
UserPostedImage

Unmasked and sat ready for some 2k satin black on monday, along with final assembly of the restored pedals.
UserPostedImage
beefykeefy
13 years ago

Love it Robb.

Looking great.
55Kab
13 years ago

well more work today- the pan is now all finished on the welding front.

UserPostedImage

Robb wrote:

Glad you posted some more Rob. I was just thinking the pan was starting to look like it was going b289...!!!

Good work, keep going.

Robb
  • Robb
  • Guest Topic Starter
13 years ago
ha ha, thanks Martin, well the pan will be 2k blacked tomorrow, so will be all finished after ive refitted the restored pedals. 😎
Robb
  • Robb
  • Guest Topic Starter
13 years ago
well another afternoon on the chassis. masked up ready for the top coat of 2k black with a slight matting agent to make it look factory.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

the repaired corners
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

all done, just gotta fit the pan seal and the restored pedals, and its time for the body :)

i've got whats left of a Wolfsburg West pan section, if anyone requires one, make me an offer
UserPostedImage
Robb
  • Robb
  • Guest Topic Starter
13 years ago
does anyone read this? :lol:

Gavin at Trailer Queen Restos is really cracking on, heres the drivers side bumper mount area....

old cut out
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

and the new hookeys panel all in place
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

then onto the body mount in the rear drivers inner wing......
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

as per the pass side, theres a section cut from a cali car that will be let in here. The repair panels you can buy for this area are far too flimsy. more soon.
Standard split
13 years ago
An excellent thread, and such dedication. You should team up with Last Triumph in the oval section, both good threads :beer:

Is that rather nice Austin Devon pick up going up for grabs 😮

UserPostedImage

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
64rotbox
13 years ago

does anyone read this?

Robb wrote:

Very much so. People don't seem to go in for the *zi style "l00kz grate m8 keep up the gd wrk dude hangloose icon" replies around here much, though... Anyway, it's a terrific job going on, and quite an eye opener as to just how much work's been needed on a car which looked pretty lovely in the first place!
You can call me Al.
beefykeefy
13 years ago

Very much so. People don't seem to go in for the *zi style "l00kz grate m8 keep up the gd wrk dude hangloose icon" replies around here much, though... Anyway, it's a terrific job going on, and quite an eye opener as to just how much work's been needed on a car which looked pretty lovely in the first place!

64rotbox wrote:

^^^
What he said. Sorry if that sounded too VZi... I gave up posting stuff about my car on there.

No-one gives a sh*te much for a decent stock car on there, too much interest in rattle canned sh*tters and comments like, 'hit it with the lowering stick, slam it dude...' :roll:

I'm enjoying it though Robb :beer: You off to Bad Camberg then?
tman
  • tman
  • pre67vw Junkie
13 years ago

does anyone read this? :lol:

Robb wrote:

Yes, definitely. Been following this thread with interest. It's great you are posting up pictures for us armchair restoration fanatics, keep 'em coming! :beer: :d
Andrew
195x Deluxe oval Beetle
Binz Doublecab
55Kab
13 years ago

You off to Bad Camberg then?

beefykeefy wrote:

He can't go, it's not pre-57...:roll: 😳 :lol:

Pan looks good Rob. Look's like Gav's coming to the end, soon be time for paint. :wink:

Robb
  • Robb
  • Guest Topic Starter
13 years ago
thanks guys, i did wonder :lol:

Yup even if i have to break in, i intend to go to Bad Camberg and do a factory tour 😎

yer im looking forward to seeing it painted 😎