52deluxe
13 years ago
Further to the Autocraft post.

I Just thought I'd post some pics of heater channels I've fabbed up for my 54 ragtop which is getting a makeover from its late 80's look.

I bought this car a few years ago off ebay(unseen) and had been a reliable spare car. I've had four two folds oval before and the three fold kept eluding me.
After scapeing it through a couple of MOT's I decided it was time to fix it once and for all.

Now I've done heater channels numerous times before with the various qualites of repair panels out there, and have never been completely satisfied with the results. Finally I made some up for Mike Tudor's oval a couple of years ago (RSY 431).

This time I wanted to achieve 'factory' assembly with real spot welds on the inner wings. This required removal of the bottom plate after an initial assembly. In doing so, I was able to thoroughly paint the inside of the channels prior to final assembly.
It obviously doesn't stop at the channels - the bits they're stuck onto have tendancy to dissappear.

Anyway the pictures speak for themselves. There are too many to post here so view the album.

https://cid-daea1cd271d16e63.photos.live.com/browse.aspx/54%20ragtop 
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
13 years ago
Im impressed that you made them fit that Mini.:rofl:

Great work. Were these folded up on a sheetmetal brake or something? I remember seeing some years ago that were made like that (though they weren´t all that, unlike yours).
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
Sunroof53
13 years ago
As you may have seen, mine needs similar work so thats a bit of inspiration for me .You obviously have some serious equipment to make a heater channel, there's some tricky curves to get right and yours look superb or did you mod a pattern one ? anyway :thumbup:

Mike

52deluxe
13 years ago
Sunroof 53,

No I didn't modify a pattern channel. They were scratch built using a brake press and English wheel for the dogleg section. I also made a number of hammer forms for the smaller details sothere is far more to them than meets the eye.
Early channels have a reinforcement under the door post. This area is critical as it stops 'door drop'. I also copied vw's improvement from later channels and put a 3mm rail on the outer sill (where the running board mounts). This gives me the advantage of being able to drill and tap the running boards mounting screws.

I did look into small production run but the fact that autocraft are going to make them probably defeats the object. I will make them for customers cars if required.
Sunroof53
13 years ago
Thats interesting about the reinforcement and the later channel running board mount.I will need to replace the rhd side on mine but i am going to remove the left hand for repairs .I was initially looking at the ones Status vw sell as they are hump free although they still need mods for a 53.has anyone seen these or fitted them ?
I wouldnt worry about Autocraft making the channels especially if yours are just like the originals ..

Mike