ianmac
12 years ago
Finally got around to taking the '51 for an MOT today... it passed of course:thumbup: nice to drive it again, sun even shone !
GKL 7
12 years ago
Went to garage,opened door.Started first turn after 3 months:thumbup:
Chris
12 years ago

GKL 7 wrote:

Good news, should be OK for Stanny Hall then :d

Me ? Just bought some wheels for my time trial bike ๐Ÿ˜ณ
A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day.
GKL 7
12 years ago

Just bought some wheels for my time trial bike ๐Ÿ˜ณ

Chris wrote:

You can cycle to Stanny then,i've got a stopwatch.
six-o-one
12 years ago

You can cycle to Stanny then,i've got a stopwatch.

GKL 7 wrote:

:d :d :d :d :rofl:
Rattletrap
12 years ago

Good news, should be OK for Stanny Hall then :d

Me ? Just bought some wheels for my time trial bike ๐Ÿ˜ณ

Chris wrote:

Its often said that the bicycle is a better invention than the car, and it probably is.

But then the split-window Beetle isn't just a car โ€“ its art.:beer:
Rattletrap โ€“ the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950โ€ฆ the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW โ€“ he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
vintagebug
12 years ago

GKL 7 wrote:

What, the garage door started first turn, after three months??? ๐Ÿ˜›

Dave
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading"
Rattletrap
12 years ago

GKL 7 wrote:

Credit to Last Triumph's efforts then.:wink:
Rattletrap โ€“ the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950โ€ฆ the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW โ€“ he's on facebook!
Rattletrap
12 years ago

It does not sound like the cars are stored in very safe conditions. I don't think that I would have left it for so long before checking on them.
Shame about the damage, hopefully it can be repaired without damaging the originality:wink:

rudolf hucker wrote:

Took a dolly to Rattletrap last night โ€“ and also sorted the dent, he's happy now.:rofl:

kevsplitty
12 years ago
Uncovered the single cab first thing this morning,had a fella coming round this afternoon whilst i was at work to offer up my rear cover for the load bed he's making,should finish it off nicely:wink:
ascort
12 years ago
Hired a trailer and drove to Brisbane to collect my new purchase which has just been trucked 4500km from Perth.:d

It was purchased in the late 1980s by the previous owner and was stored in a shed pretty much since then.

There are a few areas that will require a little work, but good that it still has its Petri steering wheel, original Okrasa TSV 1300 engine, steering lock and full set of instruments which include 100mph trip speedo, Ghia tacho, motometer clock, motometer 3 in one (Oil, amps and fuel), VDO oil pressure and VDO vacuum.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

It is home now
Mark - Owner of 2 under restoration Australian coachbuilt Ascorts.
pre67vw
12 years ago

it still has its Petri steering wheel, original Okrasa TSV 1300 engine, steering lock and full set of instruments which include 100mph trip speedo, Ghia tacho, motometer clock, motometer 3 in one (Oil, amps and fuel), VDO oil pressure and VDO vacuum.

ascort wrote:

:thumbup: Looks pretty good condition considering...
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
ascort
12 years ago

:thumbup: Looks pretty good condition considering...

pre67vw wrote:

The faces of the instruments are a bit faded, there are a some areas of surface cracking in the body and a couple more small full on cracks. What else do you normally expect after 53 years.

I have not had a good crawl underneath yet, but the pan looks reasonable with just a couple small areas visible rust in what would be the battery area of a bug.

The engine has moderately clean oil and turns freely with no noises when it is rocked back and forward. I undersatnd that the engine was fully rebuilt at 63,000 miles and when it was advertised for sale in the mid 1980s, it was stated to have 70,000 miles on the clock. It still shows only just over that now.

There are subtle differences between the cars and it definately looks like this was the car in about 1959. The dark blue paint still exists under the current paint.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

GKL 7
12 years ago

4500km

ascort wrote:

WOW!! Thats further than from my house in the UK to Cairo in Eygpt.

Congratulations on obtaining the car.
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
12 years ago
Iยดm liking that Ascort a lot. Did these ever have chrome bumpers?
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
ascort
12 years ago

Iยดm liking that Ascort a lot. Did these ever have chrome bumpers?

JD wrote:

No they were never chrome. They are fibreglass and were painted in the body colour.

The front bumper was made a fully boxed section for strength. The spare tyre sat horizontal behind the bumper and number plate section and ahead of the front torsion tubes. This gave the car a fairly long nose and much bigger useful luggage area than a Ghia. The horizontal spare tyre location was also meant to give some front crash protection. This photo of my first car in less happy times around 1960 and shows the construction.

UserPostedImage

The rear bumper was also fibreglass with a filler material added to provide extra strength.
ascort
12 years ago

WOW!! Thats further than from my house in the UK to Cairo in Eygpt.

Congratulations on obtaining the car.

GKL 7 wrote:

Yes it is a fair distance and I am sure it would be across numerous countries if that distance was in Europe.
UserPostedImage
AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
12 years ago
Green with envy :drool: Nice car :thumbup:

Andy w
Lost64
12 years ago
I've finished removing the underseal from both front inner wings, and the news is good. There's still shiny factory applied paint, the spot welds are all visible, and no sign of any previous repairs. Only the section at either side of the spare tyre well is rusty.
I'm going to see the guy who has agreed to take on the bodywork this week to arrange a schedule of work with him, and then I can begin the strip down properly.
Apart from that I've been buying plenty of bits for it, the spare room is filling up nicely!

AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
12 years ago

I've finished removing the underseal from both front inner wings, and the news is good. There's still shiny factory applied paint, the spot welds are all visible, and no sign of any previous repairs. Only the section at either side of the spare tyre well is rusty.
I'm going to see the guy who has agreed to take on the bodywork this week to arrange a schedule of work with him, and then I can begin the strip down properly.
Apart from that I've been buying plenty of bits for it, the spare room is filling up nicely!

Lost64 wrote:

Have you got any photos of the car ?????/

Andy w